U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-06-2010, 04:23 AM

1 posts, read 6,295 times

Advertisements

I've lived outside of the US for quite a long time.
I'm considering moving to Norman.
I have a family with 2 children ages 7 & 9.
Does anyone have comments about Norman as a place to live and raise a family?
From my research, it looks like Norman has a good quality of life, good schools, low crime rate and 'moderate' climate.
Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 08:41 AM

522 posts, read 1,050,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meragel View Post
I've lived outside of the US for quite a long time.
I'm considering moving to Norman.
I have a family with 2 children ages 7 & 9.
Does anyone have comments about Norman as a place to live and raise a family?
From my research, it looks like Norman has a good quality of life, good schools, low crime rate and 'moderate' climate.
Any comments?
I lived in far north Norman for several years. I was so far north that I was actually closer to downtown Moore than downtown Norman and Oklahoma City was very quick as well.

I found Norman to have more of a small town, self-contained, community feel to it than Oklahoma City where I lived previously. I enjoyed the old downtown area and the Campus Corner area. It was nice to see the mix of students of all kinds along with long time residents who were spread all over the economic spectrum.

I observed a rather fascinating mix of the urbane and rural and everything in between.

I don't really know about schools and raising young children there as my children were in college at the time. But the sense I have is that it would be a good place to raise a family.

I enjoyed my time in Norman very much.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:46 PM

5,356 posts, read 3,470,385 times
I was in the exacgt same situation as you. I lived overseas, came back with 2 kids, age 5 and 7.

I choose Moore, (actually, the Moore school district, but technically in OKC.)

Norman is fun, but it can get crazy with all the college kids. From Moore, I'm literally only 10 minutes from OU, so I can visit the crazyness, but I don't have to live inside it. Moore is also pretty close to downtown OKC, so there's that too. Finally, Moore public schools are EXCELLENT. Almost all of the schools in the district are 9's or 10's on the great school sight. (My kids have an excellent brand new school that looks like a mall.)

But Norman is awesome, too. If you buy there, stay on the west side of the highway. It's a bit more expensive but you avoid some of the college craziness that way.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:04 PM

877 posts, read 859,824 times
I'm a freshman at the University this year, and I can say that it would be a great move! Norman is a very nice little city, it's close enough to Oklahoma City but far enough away to be it's own thing, you know? (Even though Norman is definitely in the OKC metro and the urban areas are connected.)

I agree with the west side of I-35 being more expensive and a lot less college-oriented.

Another tip: avoid Lindsey Street (between I-35 and campus) at all costs. It's the main street of the University and is clogged 24/7.

Don't rule out the north side of town east or west of the freeway as well. They're building up a business district there so there's a lot of new growth.

The city limits also extend a good ways to the east to Lake Thunderbird along OK Highway 9, so there's opportunity to live in more sparsely populated, open space as well.

Moore is also a good place, but be warned.. For some reason, it's literally a tornado magnet.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:17 PM
f_m

2,290 posts, read 5,292,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post

The city limits also extend a good ways to the east to Lake Thunderbird along OK Highway 9, so there's opportunity to live in more sparsely populated, open space as well.

Moore is also a good place, but be warned.. For some reason, it's literally a tornado magnet.
Yeah, that's one of the interesting things, Norman doesn't get the tornadoes (at least luck has it that way). Good schools though.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:00 PM

522 posts, read 1,050,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Norman doesn't get the tornadoes (at least luck has it that way).
Might need to rethink this one after this year.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:02 PM

81 posts, read 81,738 times
I think that you would love Norman. I graduated from OU ten years ago, but would move back if the right opportunity presented itself. It is a college town, so you would need to be aware of the college kids, but the North and West (West of Sooner Fashion Mall) areas would be a good place to start. Anything close to Highway 9 and surrounding the campus runs the risk of a lot of college kids, especially if you move into an apartment. There are a lot of nice duplexes that are reasonable by I-35 south of Highway 9, as well as west of Sooner Fashion Mall.
There is plenty of shopping, and I always felt safe even when I lived in a somewhat sketchy apartment complext at one point. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma