U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 PM

1,188 posts, read 3,359,938 times

Advertisements

All you wonderful gardening folks, I need your assistance please...

We are looking a purchasing a foreclosed home (so we can't ask the original owners). The property has been vacant for over a year. There are several trees that have gotten out of hand with their growth (some as tall as 10-12 ft) and seriously lack maintenance.

The trees have blooms that look like hibiscus blooms. Any ideas what these trees are? I always thought hibiscus trees were small, potted and were brought in the home for winter. We were wondering how far back we could cut these trees to help retrain them. Of course, we are open to having a professional come out to show us what to do...but we wanted to get an idea what type of tree these are so we can research them.
I found an online article from UC-Davis saying that outdoor hibiscus trees are possible, but I would like the locals opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 09:13 PM

520 posts, read 1,041,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post

We are looking a purchasing a foreclosed home (so we can't ask the original owners). The property has been vacant for over a year. There are several trees that have gotten out of hand with their growth (some as tall as 10-12 ft) and seriously lack maintenance.

The trees have blooms that look like hibiscus blooms. Any ideas what these trees are? I always thought hibiscus trees were small, potted and were brought in the home for winter. We were wondering how far back we could cut these trees to help retrain them. Of course, we are open to having a professional come out to show us what to do...but we wanted to get an idea what type of tree these are so we can research them.
I found an online article from UC-Davis saying that outdoor hibiscus trees are possible, but I would like the locals opinions.
I will guess Crape Myrtle which do pretty well here including growing rather quickly. Or possibly a Magnolia variety although they don't really grow as rapidly in my experience. But I'm just guessing.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
I will guess Crape Myrtle which do pretty well here including growing rather quickly. Or possibly a Magnolia variety although they don't really grow as rapidly in my experience. But I'm just guessing.

No, it's neither of the ones you mentioned. I know what a Magnolia tree and a Crape Myrtle tree look like. Seriously, the bloom is exactly like a
hibiscus bloom.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:20 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,788,707 times
Quote:

My guess would be Rose of Sharon...

does it look like this:

http://labyrinthgarden.files.wordpre...haron-bush.jpg

20yrsinBranson

whoa huge picture. sorry

Old 09-13-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My guess would be Rose of Sharon...

does it look like this:

http://labyrinthgarden.files.wordpre...haron-bush.jpg

20yrsinBranson

whoa huge picture. sorry
YES!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!! Do you know much about this tree from a personal experience?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,788,707 times
Quote:
YES!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!! Do you know much about this tree from a personal experience?
No, not much at all. They seem to be very hardy and easy to grow. Apparently handle neglect pretty well. They are quite popular in Missouri and they make beautiful visual barriers. I have some seeds somewhere that I have been meaning to plant. I especially like the ones with lavender colored flowers.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 PM

We would like to cut them back dramatically, but will probably call on a professional to ensure that we don't make a huge mistake (lol)! Looks like they were used as a visual barrier, but we don't like to shrubs to block window views. But if anyone reading this knows if the Rose of Sharon can be significantly cut back (several feet) and survive, please let me know!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:23 PM

8,039 posts, read 2,510,157 times
I can help you with that. I had Rose of Sharon at my house. You can cut them back as far as you want it won't hurt them at all. I always cut mine back drastically in the Fall and they came back nicely in the Spring. You have to keep them trimmed or they will take over.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:05 AM

4,019 posts, read 4,964,955 times
We have one as well. The previous owners planted it in front of a window, and now you can't even see out of it. We have pruned it, but not enough. They are very hardy, and do seem to grow pretty quickly. Other than a little bit of pruning and what water it gets from the sprinkler system, we've done nothing to in the 4 years we've lived here. I really like Rose of Sharon, but unfortunately ours is a white one with double ruffled bloom, and it's really ugly. When its in full bloom, it looks like its covered up wadded up kleenex.

Also, there is a variety of hardy hibiscus that can live outside all year long. Not nearly as pretty as a regular tropical hibiscus.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
I can help you with that. I had Rose of Sharon at my house. You can cut them back as far as you want it won't hurt them at all. I always cut mine back drastically in the Fall and they came back nicely in the Spring. You have to keep them trimmed or they will take over.
It appears that these have taken over too since they have been neglected for at least a year if not more. We would want to cut them back to only a few feet tall. Is that about how drastic you cut yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
View detailed profiles of: