Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,517 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone please give me some advices for traveling locations here in OK.

I am from Asia and I have been living in Oklahoma for several years. When there were holidays, my friends usually went to big cities or national parks in nearby states. People always told me it’s boring in OK, but I want to try to see the fun parts and beauty in Oklahoma when my relative comes to visit me this November..

Our travel dates:
Mid November, we have a week break which ends before Thanksgiving. It’s cold here I know.

Traveling methods:
I have a 4 door sedan, so I can do road trip.

Location: I prefer in Oklahoma. Well nearby states is fine as long as I don’t spend too many days on driving.

Type of locations I can accept:
1. Of course I don’t expect big cities or huge shopping malls. I can try one or two Native Indian museums, and two or three other museums related to Oklahoman or cowboy’s or American culture. My relative is coming here to travel with me. she’s never been to America and she’s from a very modern big city, so I want to let her see some special beauties and cultures here.

2. Waterfalls, forests with pretty strings are fine. Lodging in those places sounds good too. We don’t really know how to do outdoor activities because we grew up in city. We definitely like nature too, but the girl can’t afford to do 5 hours mountain climbing lol and those kind of things.

3. Any sorts of farms are also good. It will be better if the farms can guide us and explain things they are doing.

So give us a chance to see the beauty of Oklahoma! Thank you people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 06:52 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,958,566 times
There are cetrainly a couple areas that will be worth a trip! The Wichita Mountains area near Lawton has a wildlife refuge so it's a nice, natural area with many small mountains and lots of hills. Pretty place! There is also the southeastern part of the state with the Ouachita Mountains. Most of them are ridge mountains and some have roads on top so there are bound to be areas where you can view the surrounding area. They aren't huge, more like hills, but it's still a nice area to go travelling through.

The mountain/hills area extends further eastward into Arkansas, so you can also head that way if you wish.

There is also in the panhandle, a dry, steppe mesa-like environment. You can get more of this if you keep going out of the panhandle into northeastern New Mexico.

For anything more scenic, I would recommend driving into New Mexico's mountains. It's not TOO far from Oklahoma, it's about a half-day's drive there and back. Oklahoma has some natural scenic beauty, but if you want to find the next level, head to New Mexico. (You could also go to Colorado but that is further north so further away.)

You can also go to Bricktown for a nice cityscape. Downtown Oklahoma City is much better now with the finished Bricktown. Tulsa may have some good things to offer as well.

As far as museums go, I'm not exactly sure where you can find some good Native American culture museums, but there is the museum of natural history in Norman on OU's campus which has an extensive Native American section. If you want to find even more, the magic of Google can sure help.

I hope I helped!

Old 09-28-2010, 10:25 PM

12 posts, read 25,796 times
Where are you starting your trip? Traveling Historic Route 66 is a wonderful way to see Oklahoma.

Tahlequah is the Cherokee Nation Capitol and has the Cherokee Cultural Center. Lovely countryside around Tahlequah - the Illinois River is just outside of town. Fort Gibson, which at one time was the westernmost military post in the US, is near Tahlequah. Greenleaf State Park has nice cabins and a beautiful lake.

Further south is the Talimena Drive with winding roads and fantastic vistas in the Kiamichi Mountains.

Go to TravelOK.com and request a brochure. They will send you the brochure, a dining guide and an Oklahoma road map free of charge. The brochure has plenty of information about the 6 Regions of Oklahoma - Frontier Country, Green Country, Red Carpet Country, Arbuckle Country, Kiamichi Country and Great Plains Country.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:48 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,435,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby View Post
Where are you starting your trip? Traveling Historic Route 66 is a wonderful way to see Oklahoma.

Tahlequah is the Cherokee Nation Capitol and has the Cherokee Cultural Center. Lovely countryside around Tahlequah - the Illinois River is just outside of town. Fort Gibson, which at one time was the westernmost military post in the US, is near Tahlequah. Greenleaf State Park has nice cabins and a beautiful lake.

Further south is the Talimena Drive with winding roads and fantastic vistas in the Kiamichi Mountains.

Go to TravelOK.com and request a brochure. They will send you the brochure, a dining guide and an Oklahoma road map free of charge. The brochure has plenty of information about the 6 Regions of Oklahoma - Frontier Country, Green Country, Red Carpet Country, Arbuckle Country, Kiamichi Country and Great Plains Country.
Yep, I suggest hunting (searching) for Bigfoot in the Kiamichi Mountains. It will be beautiful there that time of year.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,196,886 times
Gilcrease Museum near downtown Tulsa has the largest collection of western American artifacts and artwork in the world including an extensive Native American collection and is surrounded by extensive gardens overlooking the Tallgrass Prairie. Gilcrease Museum - Tulsa, Oklahoma

Downtown itself is worth seeing as well for one of the largest collections of Art Deco buildings of any city anywhere, all built with huge amounts of early 20th century oil money. If you need a hotel the classic Mayo Hotel has just been restored and reopened.

Just south of downtown in midtown, Philbrook is something else to see. It’s a good museum in its own right and also has a good sized Native collection, but if you want Oklahoma nature, you have to see the grounds at Philbrook. Philbrook.org

Right by Philbrook is Utica Square which I don’t think you would find too shabby for shopping. It’s a uniquely Oklahoma shopping area, certainly not some cookie cutter “lifestyle center” Utica Square - A Special Place

If you want to get out of the city, Talimena drive and Turner Falls in Southeast Oklahoma is a really nice lush mountainous area Talimena Scenic Drive in Oklahoma and Arkansas

Old 09-29-2010, 09:29 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,233,998 times
I also recommend the Gilcrease Museum. They also have window with a vista view of the beautiful Osage hills, and an outdoor area that is park like.

Outside of the the two major cities I recommend Southeastern Oklahoma. Broken Bow State Park has the beautiful Mountain Fork River which flows through, hiking trails, fishing, and cabins. The cabins are neat, so you won't have to know how to camp out.

Talimina drive is always great. Poteau and Heartshorn are small towns in that area and I think that whole region is pretty.

Another area you may want to consider is near the Chickasaw National Recreation Area. This is my favorite camping and park to go to in OK. Of course, it will be too cold to swim, but they have hiking trails, and the very cool Travertine Creek (coldest water in OK!) that flows through this park. The park abutes Sulfer, OK. The Chickasaw Tribe has a new cultural museum and I think it's located in Sulfer. (not sure, but can check on the Chickasaw Nation's website) This area is also a very short drive from Turner Falls. So! If yo go there you can get your Native American Museum, hiking and water falls all at once, LOL.

Have fun!

Old 10-01-2010, 12:06 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,343,662 times
Here are two (similar) articles from the tourism department, showing the varied regions in the state.

Oklahoma's Diverse Ecoregions | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site

All-Terrain Vacation | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site

Old 10-01-2010, 03:57 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,228,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yep, I suggest hunting (searching) for Bigfoot in the Kiamichi Mountains. It will be beautiful there that time of year.
I have never seen bigfoot but have seen the Spook Light up by Peoria Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma