U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:12 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,339,230 times
Eufaula is much nicer than Checotah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 05:05 AM

520 posts, read 993,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoss84 View Post
I am curious as to what some of the best places to live in Oklahoma are. Are there any really great small towns to live in?
Pretty much wherever I am living right now.

Having traveled around a bit and lived a while now I notice that it is easy to get caught up in either looking in the mirror at where I've been or looking way ahead to where I might be going. That makes it hard to enjoy where I am so I've been practicing that skill.

But I think I know what you're asking because I sometimes think about moving somewhere else or maybe building a cabin. I have a friend who has some land down near Duncan and he takes 4 day weekends down there from his Oklahoma City place. He talks about his friends down there and how he likes to visit them in a coffee shop and all the things he's doing on his place. So sometimes I think about that because I know exactly what it is like.

But then I sometimes think it would be fund to live in a loft space and be more urban. Except that I don't think I could stand not getting out in a pasture really.

I think there are lots of places in Oklahoma that you could find to make a home. The whole idea of "best places" really depends so much on you and what you like and the period of your life.

When my children were young I would have answered that question an entirely different way for instance. And I'm pretty sure in a few years I'll be thinking about it differently still.

Good luck hunting though because I think that is part of the fun.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:02 PM

23 posts, read 74,104 times
Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond to my post, now i have a few other places to consider looking at in Oklahoma for relocation.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:29 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,859,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
I could suggest Mustang, Checotah or Crowder but am not sure if you plan on commuting to work or whatever. Personally I really liked McAlester. Not too huge yet not so small.
Probably has the same population for the lat 100 years too. Of course they count Big Mac! Ilove my ranch about 16 miles out of McAlester, but McAlester doesn't have much to offer. Crowder has the lake and that is about it too. Not too mention if youlive in Crowder you have to go to McAlester to do your shopping and when I say shopping all you got is Walmart!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:52 PM

7,156 posts, read 9,481,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful
............when I say shopping all you got is Walmart!
you don't hit atwoods or tsc?

Old 10-04-2010, 06:12 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,859,402 times
Sorry but yes I do hit Atwoods. There moving to a different area though so it will be harder to hit for me. I generally do all my farm supplies out in Stuart area where I live close to.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:46 AM

13,387 posts, read 9,347,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Kid View Post
Somebody will say Guthrie?

Here: City of Guthrie

And here: Historic Guthrie, Oklahoma's First Capital

Or perhaps here: Guthrie Talk! A Forum for People Who Like Guthrie the Logan County View (http://logancountyonline.com/Guthrietalk.html - broken link)

Quote:
Everyone is welcome!
That's what our Federal Government said. Now look what we have, 20 million illegal aliens.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:33 PM

152 posts, read 210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
That's what our Federal Government said. Now look what we have, 20 million illegal aliens.
You are right....what do we do? This country is gone as far as I can tell?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:03 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,284,222 times
Guthrie. There, I said it. And anywhere within walking distance of the Wichita Wildlife Refuge.
So, where are those longhorn and what is the closest town?
AND I can still name the five nations.
So there.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:11 AM

10,697 posts, read 14,057,927 times
I lived in Grove in NE Oklahoma for a number of years. The demograpjocs are about 100.000 and that coveres a large area. It is in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains on Grand Lake. It has a hospital, doctors, good city services, several national stores and restaurants. It isn't too far from attractions like Eureka Springs, Pea Ridge Civil War Battlefield, and War Eagle near the AR/MO border, the Honor Park Azalea Festival at Muskogee, the million light Christmas display, Precious Moments, an 18-hole course and a ton of Civil War history. Closer to home you find a larger than life antique museum and Japapnese gardens at Grove. If youw ant to go a 100 miles you'll find Branson, Jopin and Tulsa. In between there is natural beauty, awesome parks and many secrets to discover. Grove is also consistently ranked as one of the top 5 retirement areas.

I can't think of anything I really didn't like. The people are friendly, the food is pretty good and there is plenty of it. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma