Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:19 PM

271 posts, read 1,170,943 times

Advertisements

I have been considering a move to Oklahoma but I live in the west
and I like the mountains. I can't seem to find out much about the
city of Lawton and the wichita mtns. but it sounds like Grove has a lot
going for it. I guess Grove is a small town where Lawton is about
80,000 population.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 10:32 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,315,305 times
YES~my fave town in OK is Grove. It is a small town. I believe the population is about 7,000 or so. It's just so cute and it's built around Grand Lake. It doesn't seem to have a lot of employment opportunities right now, but that will probably change once they get the hospital built and once the new resort is up and running.

I've never been to Lawton so I guess I can't compare the two, but I'll bet some of the Okies can.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:55 AM

533 posts, read 1,703,819 times
Whether one is better than the other seems to me to be subjective to your desires. They are certainly different in every conceivable way. I lived at Fort Sill in Lawton during my AIT many years ago. I personally appreciate that area of Oklahoma. I've enjoyed visiting Grove but I'm not so much a lake and tree person so I probably wouldn't live there.

It might help if you outlined what you are hoping to find. But best luck regardless.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:59 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Of course both areas do have pros and cons. We recently spent time in Ok looking for a re-location area and I feel in love with Grove. Hubby liked it, but not as much as I did. the people are friendly, the area is beautiful and you can be near a lake or away, depending on what you like, you can have a sloped lot or choose to go with a flatter piece of property. Even only there are only about 7000 people they have all kinds of organizations for one to become active in, they have lots of churches if this is your thing, are building a new hospital and property can be purchased in almost every price range.

All that being said, we have decided to re-locate to Bella Vista AR. The reason, long story but our two daughters offered us a deal we could not refuse.

Nita

Old 07-12-2007, 07:28 PM

450 posts, read 2,046,785 times
Smile No mountains in Grove. Quartz Lake near Lawton.

I think I have this right, but there is a lake out there that is really beautiful and you can build on it. I considered it but I like more trees. There is definitely some topography out there that you do not have in Grove. If you like the West I think Lawton is a better choice as it is drier with more open spaces and some interesting canyons and rock formations. I have never been but have seen pics. I have a friend who has been and he loved it. Check out that lake. It looks really beautiful. I just checked and it is Quartz Mountain Lake. Looks cool!

Old 07-12-2007, 10:30 PM

557 posts, read 1,663,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I think I have this right, but there is a lake out there that is really beautiful and you can build on it....... If you like the West I think Lawton is a better choice as it is drier with more open spaces and some interesting canyons and rock formations....... Check out that lake. It looks really beautiful. I just checked and it is Quartz Mountain Lake. Looks cool!
Ummmm... Quartz Mountain State Park is 75 miles from Lawton and as far as I know, there are no houses built on the lake. It is used for irrigation, so the level fluctuates greatly.

The best thing that Lawton has going for it is the Wichita Mountains, just a few miles north and west of town. The wildlife refuge is spectacular. Other than that, Lawton is a seedy, dirty Army town with crime higher than the national average. I would not live there.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 PM

500 posts, read 2,854,341 times
How "cute" Grove is certainly dependes on your definition of "cuteness". My brother-in-law lives there and when I visit, I can't help but think that Grove is this run-down place with empty storefronts, lots of trailer homes and friendly rednecks.

The people are nice and the lake is nice if you like fishin' and sailin', but "cute", well, I don't think so...

No jobs to speak of in Grove (mostly retired folks and rich guys having a house in Patricia Island they rarely visit) and not much to do other than the lake thing. Restaurants are few and far in between. There used to be a number of antique stores, but most have closed.

The hospital is already built and working, and "the new resort" Jammie mentions, I don't know what that is. But Grove could certainly use something new, shiny and sleek-looking!

I think.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
How "cute" Grove is certainly dependes on your definition of "cuteness". My brother-in-law lives there and when I visit, I can't help but think that Grove is this run-down place with empty storefronts, lots of trailer homes and friendly rednecks.

The people are nice and the lake is nice if you like fishin' and sailin', but "cute", well, I don't think so...

No jobs to speak of in Grove (mostly retired folks and rich guys having a house in Patricia Island they rarely visit) and not much to do other than the lake thing. Restaurants are few and far in between. There used to be a number of antique stores, but most have closed.

The hospital is already built and working, and "the new resort" Jammie mentions, I don't know what that is. But Grove could certainly use something new, shiny and sleek-looking!

I think.
totally wrong hospital; yes, they have one now, a very small one. Ground is being broken if it hasn't been in the past few weeks for a much larger, new facility. I beleive it is due to open around Dec of 2008. As for the resort, they need to have deposits from just a handful more to finalize it as well. this was as of last month.

As for the downtown area, I think you have overstated the empty stores etc. Some are empty, there are not a whole lot of great restaurants, but what would you expect in a town of barely 7,000? I do have to admit my hubby didn't like the area as much as I did, that being said, and we all have our opinions, I think you have come down a little hard on the town.

Nita

Old 07-13-2007, 01:44 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,580,198 times
Unfortunately, some people are on this forum just to trash Oklahoma at every opportunity. I don't know why, but some snobby people from certain areas get a kick out of picking on OK and other states in the south. I suppose it makes them feel superior or something.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Unfortunately, some people are on this forum just to trash Oklahoma at every opportunity. I don't know why, but some snobby people from certain areas get a kick out of picking on OK and other states in the south. I suppose it makes them feel superior or something.
The same with the Arkansas forum. It is a feeling of superiority they think makes them seem more important. It blows my mind. As a travel agent I get the same about certain cruise lines. Some people just don't understand why anyone other than the lowes creatures could stoop to cruise on certain lines. I have always said, class snobbery has to be worst kind of snoobery there is. NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma