U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2011, 04:07 PM

7 posts, read 7,896 times

Advertisements

I asked on Yahoo Answers before and did not get many replies from locals so I thought I would try this forum, it seems helpful from browsing other threads. I am looking for a gynecologist or GP to prescribe me birth control pills. My best friend here has gone to two different doctors who refused to prescribe her birth control because they "did not believe in birth control pills." I found that insane, not being from the area I guess it is common? I am also bisexual and concerned about how I would be treated for being such as it seems we are not too accepted. I also am not sure I want a pap smear at this point, as I am from Finland and the practise in my country is not to do those until the age of 30 which I am nowhere near, however in the USA I understand they force it on you by refusing your prescriptions if you do not have one. Oklahoma is only a stop-over on my way to Seattle where I moving this summer (staying with family here to save money for the move) but I have met a great boyfriend here so am in need of birth control pills (lol). Can you suggest to me a doctor who will not be morally opposed to pill prescribing, will respect my choice in regards to pap smears (this may not be able to happen I do not know) and will not shun me for being bisexual?

PS: Sorry to the men if you did not want to read about female matters.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 04:08 PM

Oh I forget to mention it, but they also need to accept direct cash payment I do not have USA insurance yet other than emergency health it would not cover basic doctor visits.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:01 PM

7,191 posts, read 9,881,930 times
Cherokee County Health Department
Quote:
“Here at the health department, we provide clients with information about all the methods of birth control and family planning, from abstinence to sterilization and everything in between,” said Caldwell. “We provide family planning information for both genders and provide them with educational information so they can make the most informed decision about the method they choose. I’ve found the happier a person is with the method, the more effective the birth control is.”

Caldwell said while CCHD doesn’t provide clients with all the forms of birth control available, she can provide prescriptions for some of them.
Family planning Tahlequah Daily Press

CHEROKEE COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT
Mary Beth Murray, Acting Administrative Director
912 South College
Tahlequah, Oklahoma 74464
(918) 456-8826

Thank you for being a responsible young woman. Best of luck and all the happiness on your move.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 PM

Thank you, Goodpasture. I hope they accept me as I am not a citizen. It would never occur to me not to be responsible I think I had a better message of that kind of thing growing up. My 17 year old cousin here has two children and living with her parents, still in high school

Old 01-26-2011, 02:43 AM

12 posts, read 15,411 times
Be warned, Dr. Brestel (sp?) is an aweful dr. (in my opinion, obviously)

Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM

5,813 posts, read 7,293,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juli L. View Post
I asked on Yahoo Answers before and did not get many replies from locals so I thought I would try this forum, it seems helpful from browsing other threads. I am looking for a gynecologist or GP to prescribe me birth control pills. My best friend here has gone to two different doctors who refused to prescribe her birth control because they "did not believe in birth control pills." I found that insane, not being from the area I guess it is common? I am also bisexual and concerned about how I would be treated for being such as it seems we are not too accepted. I also am not sure I want a pap smear at this point, as I am from Finland and the practise in my country is not to do those until the age of 30 which I am nowhere near, however in the USA I understand they force it on you by refusing your prescriptions if you do not have one. Oklahoma is only a stop-over on my way to Seattle where I moving this summer (staying with family here to save money for the move) but I have met a great boyfriend here so am in need of birth control pills (lol). Can you suggest to me a doctor who will not be morally opposed to pill prescribing, will respect my choice in regards to pap smears (this may not be able to happen I do not know) and will not shun me for being bisexual?

PS: Sorry to the men if you did not want to read about female matters.

Sounds like to me some Doctors need to get their self-rightious heads outta their butts and the churches, too..
I hope you find a good doctor , who can think for themselves, good luck.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:30 AM

4,147 posts, read 10,078,404 times
Welcome to our area. I don't know if i would tell a doctor here that i was bisexual. it is none of his/her business. hard to believe that you can't find one that gives birth control pills. i would call around and ask. i would also check out family doctors. And I will tell you this, even heterosexuals complain here about the lack of good doctors. PM me and i will tell you who i see and hope it works out for you. i would first call his office and ask though.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,774,814 times
Welcome to Northeast Oklahoma!!!!!
Attempting to obtain a prescription for Birth Control Pills without having a pap smear is almost impossible in this area. I have gone to Muskogee Women's Clinic for years. Dr. Wayman was my OB for my youngest child (who is 13 years old now). I have gone to him as an OB for most of my life except when I lived in Tulsa. They also have a nurse practitioner named Melissa who is very good and might be more open to your requirements.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:40 PM

5,185 posts, read 2,890,795 times
Why would anyone consider needing to tell a doctor about being bi-sexual? Unless I'm missing something, it has nothing to do with wanting birth control pills. As mentioned above, Muskogee Women's Clinic is the place to go.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:30 PM

5,185 posts, read 2,890,795 times
A physician in Wichita KS wouldn't prescribe birth control to me several years ago. He is a practicing Catholic and said he could not prescribe something he was so strongly against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma