Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:30 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Does Lawton have city codes that tries to make people mow their lawns, get rid of the poison ivy, fix their dilapitated houses and forbid keeping abandoned old cars on their front lawns? I know Stillwater does. Some people may resent the government telling them how to keep their property, but I think such codes help make Stillwater a more attractive city while maintaining property values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 09:05 PM

70 posts, read 284,363 times
Yes. Lawton does have such codes -although some were not enacted until the mid 1990s. When I first moved into the area the junk car ordinance was a big topic of debate. People can get fined for not cutting their grass. It's a little more difficult to force businesses to fix up their store fronts.

A few days ago a judge provided a summary judgment in favor of the City of Lawton to condemn the abandoned Midtown Square shopping center building. This is the latest point in the long legal battle between the city and the property owner Bobby Mansell.

Any ordinance is only as good as how well it is enforced. Depending on who sits in the Mayor's office or on the City Council you'll see a varying level of code enforcement.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:47 PM

7 posts, read 23,766 times
My husband just got orders to ft. sill, so we'll be moving there in May. I've never been there, and have some questions. I've heard that there aren't really completely "good" area's in lawton, except for in new developements. -Does anyone know what these new developements are called, and how the schools are? We'd really rather rent a house than buy, are there many options to rent nicer houses? - what are the prices like? Okay and my biggest question is about the bugs/snakes/rodents I live in Colorado right now, and there really aren't many at all (except for moths a few months out of the year.) How bad are the bugs/snakes ect? What all do you have there, and how often do you see them/are they a problem ect. Thanks for any info.!

Old 10-24-2008, 07:24 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
We moved to Mustang, OK from NJ about 8 months ago, and aside from stomping on a few spiders, we haven't seen any snakes, rodents, etc. I don't know how different Mustang is from Lawton, but I'm sure someone from that area can help you out there. Welcome to OK and the forum!

Old 10-24-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
We moved to Mustang, OK from NJ about 8 months ago, and aside from stomping on a few spiders, we haven't seen any snakes, rodents, etc. I don't know how different Mustang is from Lawton, but I'm sure someone from that area can help you out there. Welcome to OK and the forum!
Thanks for the feedback!

Old 11-16-2008, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockash View Post
My husband just got orders to ft. sill, so we'll be moving there in May. I've never been there, and have some questions. I've heard that there aren't really completely "good" area's in lawton, except for in new developements. -Does anyone know what these new developements are called, and how the schools are? We'd really rather rent a house than buy, are there many options to rent nicer houses? - what are the prices like? Okay and my biggest question is about the bugs/snakes/rodents I live in Colorado right now, and there really aren't many at all (except for moths a few months out of the year.) How bad are the bugs/snakes ect? What all do you have there, and how often do you see them/are they a problem ect. Thanks for any info.!

There are several rental agencies that have great homes in great areas all t you do is get a list of their propertys and you can get 3 keys at at time as long as you leave and I.D.One rental agencies i can recommend is Sundace Rentals, but you may want to visit atleast 3 and pick up the listings first then decide on pricing and amenities versus going to one agnecy. I have only been here about seven months and its a normal place although there is no place like home. If you are from the city you can count on being home sick becasue its not much to do compared to where you may be from, I moved from Dallas Fort Worth so it was a big change for me. Its not all that bad once you can stop the habit of comparing it to home. Business Week has just rated Lawton as one of the best places to raise a child and that was based on crime,cost of living(which is cheap), and school performance or stats. Since I have been here I have not seen a rat or roach so you should be good. (most people only get those from a unclan home) NO snakes either lol. let me know if you need some places to go because some of the good retaurants arent the franchise but locals so and i can recommend a couple.

Hope I helped atleast a little

Old 11-22-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulyUnique View Post
There are several rental agencies that have great homes in great areas all t you do is get a list of their propertys and you can get 3 keys at at time as long as you leave and I.D.One rental agencies i can recommend is Sundace Rentals, but you may want to visit atleast 3 and pick up the listings first then decide on pricing and amenities versus going to one agnecy. I have only been here about seven months and its a normal place although there is no place like home. If you are from the city you can count on being home sick becasue its not much to do compared to where you may be from, I moved from Dallas Fort Worth so it was a big change for me. Its not all that bad once you can stop the habit of comparing it to home. Business Week has just rated Lawton as one of the best places to raise a child and that was based on crime,cost of living(which is cheap), and school performance or stats. Since I have been here I have not seen a rat or roach so you should be good. (most people only get those from a unclan home) NO snakes either lol. let me know if you need some places to go because some of the good retaurants arent the franchise but locals so and i can recommend a couple.

Hope I helped atleast a little

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear about the bugs and crime

Old 06-05-2012, 04:10 AM

2 posts, read 1,945 times
Default Can't figure out how to make a new post so...

Sorry!! I've read this thread and am hoping for updated info...We are moving to Ft Sill later this year & I'd like some updated info regarding on base housing wait lists (we have 5 kids), safety etc., schools etc... I have kids that will be in the elementary & middle schools & would like to know where the better schools are located, if there have been any issues etc., also, what are the youth programs, cdc's like, do the kids enjoy them, do they offer lots of things to do, is it a place that you'd want to work... We are coming from an area of practically no crime (on base in Germany), but have also lived on base at Ft Bliss, which we also loved... Also, as I will be dealing with a pcs, obtaining a vehicle & moving/getting our furniture, registering kids in schools, trying to get another job, dealing with an ex & pre deployment all while trying to maintain my sanity if anyone can be of help, I'd greatly appreciate it!!

Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 PM

57 posts, read 79,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdiazmsdiaz View Post
Sorry!! I've read this thread and am hoping for updated info...We are moving to Ft Sill later this year & I'd like some updated info regarding on base housing wait lists (we have 5 kids), safety etc., schools etc... I have kids that will be in the elementary & middle schools & would like to know where the better schools are located, if there have been any issues etc., also, what are the youth programs, cdc's like, do the kids enjoy them, do they offer lots of things to do, is it a place that you'd want to work... We are coming from an area of practically no crime (on base in Germany), but have also lived on base at Ft Bliss, which we also loved... Also, as I will be dealing with a pcs, obtaining a vehicle & moving/getting our furniture, registering kids in schools, trying to get another job, dealing with an ex & pre deployment all while trying to maintain my sanity if anyone can be of help, I'd greatly appreciate it!!

Here is the link to the Ft Sill housing waiting list. It shows that housing for E1-E5 depending on the housing area as little as 3 weeks as much as 6 months. Most housing for E6 and above is between 3 months to six months.

http://www.sillpicerne.com/relocatin...d/waiting-list

Old 06-09-2012, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,945 times
Thanks Carlos Ray!! Do you have any info on the schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma