Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's Your Fave Oklahoma City?
Oklahoma City 14 28.57%
Tulsa 18 36.73%
Lawton 2 4.08%
Norman 3 6.12%
Muskogee 0 0%
Enid 0 0%
Stillwater 3 6.12%
Ponca City 1 2.04%
Ardmore 2 4.08%
Other 10 20.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:28 PM

674 posts, read 1,538,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Keep in mind Darbo, that there is no competition between Tulsa and OK City for bona fide Okies.....although some would like to insinuate such nonsense.

My family and extended family go way back in the Sooner State, both OK City and Tulsa areas...really nobody cares how each town's citizens view the other city and/or inhabitants.

They're both great cities; but again, the main issue is keeping it a secret.

I've already stated my case for Bowlegs being the best city in Oklahoma. Reason? = Name recognition.
I feel the same as you regarding both cities. I love how the streets in both cities are set up even in the country. If you lose your way it's not too hard to get back on track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 01:23 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou_norman View Post
Also a posterchild for amazing inner city neighborhoods adjacent to the deteriorating ones, and for urban regeneration currently radiating through the city, so it's not quite so cut and dry.
Oklahoma City has done some nice things the last 10 years, but don't you think "Amazing" is over selling reality a bit?

Old 03-02-2011, 05:19 PM

I notice that no one picked Muskogee or Enid. Are those towns bad or something?

Old 03-02-2011, 05:50 PM

242 posts, read 764,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Oklahoma City has done some nice things the last 10 years, but don't you think "Amazing" is over selling reality a bit?
Relative to their status 10 years ago, neighborhoods like the Plaza District, Jefferson Park, Uptown 23rd, and Paseo are burgeoning with local businesses and rehabbed housing owned, operated, and occupied by creative young people. The Asian District along Classen is filling with new developments (which are strip-mall style but successful nonetheless). 51st Street bars and breweries are enlivening the far historic north. The economic success of these old neighborhoods continues to grow exponentially. And they are enhancing the local culture quite a bit.

Even more "amazing" is that 10 years ago the area north of Bricktown was nothing but grass and overgrown parking lots. Now there are over 500 housing units (with over 300 more under construction) and a nice hotel breaking ground. You can rent a small flat or purchase a 4-story brownstone in a nearly complete urban neighborhood that was a vast brownfield in recent memory. So yeah I think it's pretty amazing.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:15 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
I notice that no one picked Muskogee or Enid. Are those towns bad or something?

I have been to Enid a few times and thought it was a nice town. I go to Muskogee at least 4 or 5 times a month and used to live there....there is a serious reason it has not been picked by anyone. Muskogee is on it knees and really needs some serious TLC. There has been some improvement downtown but blocks and blocks of old stately homes are just rotting away. It is hart breaking to drive down some of Muskogee's streets.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:25 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou_norman View Post
Relative to their status 10 years ago, neighborhoods like the Plaza District, Jefferson Park, Uptown 23rd, and Paseo are burgeoning with local businesses and rehabbed housing owned, operated, and occupied by creative young people. The Asian District along Classen is filling with new developments (which are strip-mall style but successful nonetheless). 51st Street bars and breweries are enlivening the far historic north. The economic success of these old neighborhoods continues to grow exponentially. And they are enhancing the local culture quite a bit.

Even more "amazing" is that 10 years ago the area north of Bricktown was nothing but grass and overgrown parking lots. Now there are over 500 housing units (with over 300 more under construction) and a nice hotel breaking ground. You can rent a small flat or purchase a 4-story brownstone in a nearly complete urban neighborhood that was a vast brownfield in recent memory. So yeah I think it's pretty amazing.
Glad to see OKC getting its act together. I used to live in the heart of the Paseo back in 84 and 85. I lived right behind the El Chicos. That goes to show you how long ago that was. El Chicos closed in 84 or was it 85? But I remember it was the ruffest place I ever lived and this was a shock for me since I moved straight from Checotah to OKC. I have been through the Paseo several times since then and as recently as Aug of last year and have been surprised how much nicer it is. But it couldn't have gone any other way but up...LOL it was dangerous then.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I have been to Enid a few times and thought it was a nice town. I go to Muskogee at least 4 or 5 times a month and used to live there....there is a serious reason it has not been picked by anyone. Muskogee is on it knees and really needs some serious TLC. There has been some improvement downtown but blocks and blocks of old stately homes are just rotting away. It is hart breaking to drive down some of Muskogee's streets.
Wow. That's unfortunate to hear! Hopefully they will begin to turn things around.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:50 AM

152 posts, read 370,114 times
Guthrie of course!

City of Guthrie

Old 03-18-2011, 03:18 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosstimbers Okie View Post
Real people live in those parts of the city. What do you propose doing with them? Bulldoze their homes and force them into something they can't afford? Concentration camps? Forced removal?

Some other "pretty" solution?
Oklahoma City stands heads and shoulders over Tulsa since
around 2000 or 2002 mainly because of the MAPS PROJECTS
FOR THEIR URBAN CORE....however TULSA IS MY FAVE CITY.....

Old 03-18-2011, 04:40 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Default Oklahoma City More MOXIE.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post
OKC is my favorite city in Oklahoma. It is not as charming or pretty as Tulsa, but OKC is the most vibrant and exciting city in the state. It is remarkable how the citizens of OKC have supported public improvement projects and how significant private investment has followed as a result. OKC still lags behind some of its "peer" cities with things like restaurants, shopping, and nightlife, but these things will develop in time.
What you said is spot on...I see that you are from Austin TX...
if TULSA had the MOXIE of AUSTIN IT WOULD BE A LIL AUSTIN
OKLAHOMA......and OKLAHOMA CITY WOULDN'T BE THE #1
city in the state of Oklahoma....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma