Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,423 times

Advertisements

If you are thinking of the Tulsa area may suggest Muskogee. The houses are even more affordable than most places in NE Oklahoma. Muskogee has excellent schools and a private Catholic school. It has a submarine, the USS Batfish, that makes for a cool place to take friends when they come to visit. Honor Heights Park is an Oklahoma Jewel. Muskogee is in the heart of Green Country. The best housing in Muskogee is just North and East of Downtown. Muskogee is just minutes from some of the best lakes in Oklahoma. Lake Eufaula is the biggest lake in Oklahoma and no trip to Ok wold be complete with out taking a dip in the crystal Clear water of Lake Eufaula, especially the Deep Fork arm of the lake. Make Sure to bring your swimming suit.

If you want a little acreage then you may want to look at either Taft or Red Bird. They are both just outside of Muskogee and are lovely hamlets with lots of beautiful farmland and are between Tulsa and Muskogee. If you want to be a little farther out then Boynton is a good option, and it is about 30 minutes south of Tulsa.

But if you want to live right around Tulsa I would suggest Turley. It has very affordable housing its just one the edge of the city so you can have acreage and be away from all the hustle and bustle of the city and only be ten minutes from downtown. Oakhurst is another little slice of paradise. It is nestled in the rolling hills of SW Tulsa and RT 66 runs right through it.

If you need any other help with the Tulsa/Muskogee area let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,541,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
If you are thinking of the Tulsa area may suggest Muskogee. The houses are even more affordable than most places in NE Oklahoma. Muskogee has excellent schools and a private Catholic school. It has a submarine, the USS Batfish, that makes for a cool place to take friends when they come to visit. Honor Heights Park is an Oklahoma Jewel. Muskogee is in the heart of Green Country. The best housing in Muskogee is just North and East of Downtown. Muskogee is just minutes from some of the best lakes in Oklahoma. Lake Eufaula is the biggest lake in Oklahoma and no trip to Ok wold be complete with out taking a dip in the crystal Clear water of Lake Eufaula, especially the Deep Fork arm of the lake. Make Sure to bring your swimming suit.

If you want a little acreage then you may want to look at either Taft or Red Bird. They are both just outside of Muskogee and are lovely hamlets with lots of beautiful farmland and are between Tulsa and Muskogee. If you want to be a little farther out then Boynton is a good option, and it is about 30 minutes south of Tulsa.

But if you want to live right around Tulsa I would suggest Turley. It has very affordable housing its just one the edge of the city so you can have acreage and be away from all the hustle and bustle of the city and only be ten minutes from downtown. Oakhurst is another little slice of paradise. It is nestled in the rolling hills of SW Tulsa and RT 66 runs right through it.

If you need any other help with the Tulsa/Muskogee area let me know.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 10,341 times
Not to hijack the thread, but what can you all tell me about the Dustin area? I know it is/was primarily oil fields and it appears well water may be an issue, but what else? The area I'm looking at is just a few miles southwest of Dustin where there are a few hills and trees but not much else.

-mike

Old 03-22-2011, 07:52 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma_Mike View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but what can you all tell me about the Dustin area? I know it is/was primarily oil fields and it appears well water may be an issue, but what else? The area I'm looking at is just a few miles southwest of Dustin where there are a few hills and trees but not much else.

-mike
Dustin is a tiny community in Hughes county, but is near the border of of Okfuskee county to the north. Like many of the small towns in Oklahoma, it has seen better days. The population of Dustin is largely Muscogee (Creek) Indians. This is my dad's hometown (though he was raised out in the country). One of our family stories is that my grandad, full-blood Mvskoke, saved the Dustin bank from failure back during the depression by loaning them 5,000 dollars. LOL, he was never repaid. He had the money from the sell of allotment land; land I wish we had back!!!

There has been a water problem, and flooding problem in the town of Dustin. I'm pretty sure that the Mayor finally came up with the funding, in cooperation with the state, to improve the water problems. I don't know the details, but they've done a lot of upgrades. As for the groundwater, there is no way to know without testing for the specific area. Are you thinking about a septic system or for drinking water? Almost anywhere in Oklahoma is going to have had oil wells and/or NG wells at some point in time over the last hundred years. There are still many producing wells, and yes, they have left us with a lot of salinated groundwater. There has been a big increase in NG drilling in this general region over the last 3-4 years.

This region is in the North Canadian watershed. The North Canadian River channel is a few miles north of Dustin. Other towns nearby are Weleetka to the NW and Wetumka to the west straight out on highway 9. You'll also find quite a few wadable streams in this area. The stream health varies, but typically the more rural an area the better the stream is. The problem is often CAFO and/or illegal dumping. Riparian zones are usually intact. The Level IV ecoregion is Northern Cross Timber. (Omernick) So, there are lots of Blackjack and Post oaks spread over rolling hills.

There is tribal trust land southwest of Dustin. I forget how much acreage, but at one time they had a dairy. The tribal town of Thlopthlocco has a fairly large acreag of trust land, but are located near I-40, which would be north of Dustin. Thlopthlocco has the largest contiguous trust land base of all of Oklahoma's 39 tribes.

I like this area, and if you are looking for rural Oklahoma then this is one of the best, IMO. But........I'm partial. This is the region of my grandparent's original allotment lands. Both were original allotees, but my gdad's allotment was spilt. He was allotted 80 acres near Dustin and 80 acres near Drumright. LOL, and he was suppose to be able to farm that land.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:24 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,340,619 times
My only problem with Oklahoma is HEAT. I might be looking to sell my ranch and move to higher ground with cooler summers in a few years. Other than that you can't find a better "cost of living" place. We have lived in several States and were transferred here or I should say my husband was in a non rotational position 13 years ago. Love my ranch but hate summers.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 10,341 times
The specific are I was referring to is right around where E1210 Rd comes off the 9 and turns into D390 Rd.

I know this will be outdated quickly, but what are the fuel prices there like right now? Here we're paying $3.94 for the cheap at Arco. We're planning a trip out there soon and am just curious.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:16 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma_Mike View Post
The specific are I was referring to is right around where E1210 Rd comes off the 9 and turns into D390 Rd.

I know this will be outdated quickly, but what are the fuel prices there like right now? Here we're paying $3.94 for the cheap at Arco. We're planning a trip out there soon and am just curious.
I paid 3.32 yesterday and today it was at 3.29/gal.

@Debbie, we must be sisters! I H A T E Oklahoma summers. I've spent way too many summers living in Montana and then going back and forth between Washington and OK. I never did really reacclimate to OK summers.

My daughter is here, but I'm running out of family in OK. I'm staying for my elderly mom for now, but later I hope to move back to the PNW. I like Western WA; like being close to the moutains, clear running streams and lots of outdoor 'ings', but I'll cross that bridge later.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:24 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,498,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Moving from one coast to the other is a culture shock. Just as moving from the North to the South is. So is moving from a larege coatal city to a city in the Midwest - unless you move to a city of size. The only city of size in the Midwest is Chicago.

I went to NE Oklahoma to visit and stayed 25 years.

Oklahoma is natural beauty. I is the foothills of the Ozark Mountain Range and red earth. It is rolling hills, gated communities, sailboat races, fishing and hunting, botanical gardents, cardiac unts. awesome parks, upscale shopping and dining, cowboys, livestock, farmers, rodeos, powwow and tornadoes. It is The NATIVE STATE.

Oklama is unique. It is Native America in the finest sense. OKLAHOMA is a way of life that is unlike other states from the Nine Tribes in Miami to the Red River and from the Grand River Dam to Shamrock Texas. it is far more rural than urbane. It is more small town and enclave than Broadway and art galleries. It is fry bread and bbq. It is country music and the measured beat of the powwow drummers.

It is the history of its settlers. It is the history of the Trail of Tears. It is the history of elecrified rural Oklahoma. It is the history of the first land Deed between white man and red man when OKlahoma was still a territory. It is the history of the land rush and the first newspaper in the newly opened territory. It is the history of OKC that spawned the movie 1996 "Twister." It is Tornado Alley.

It is learning to do things on "Indian Time." It is trucks and guns and dogs and deer meat. It is about people who genuinely care. It is about many languages and different tribal ways. It is learning that words like "full blooded" and "costumes" and camera are offensive to some. It is learning that being invited into an Native American home is a privilege extended to few white men.

Oklahoma is about everyone having an equal place in the same society in a divided world. You don't find Trader Joe's or Costco in Oklahoma, Texas or Arkansas. You go to Lincoln, NE or St.Louis or Denver.
Wow, this is an excellent post.

>>>>>
It is fry bread and bbq. It is country music and the measured beat of the powwow drummers.
<<<<<

>>>>>
Oklahoma is about everyone having an equal place in the same society in a divided world. You don't find Trader Joe's or Costco in Oklahoma, Texas or Arkansas. You go to Lincoln, NE or St.Louis or Denver.
<<<<<

Very true.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:27 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,498,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
And we are glad you stayed. Excellent post and it is good to see you posting on the okie forum, linicx. Quite a hiatus by some of our regulars. We do miss LadyRobyn as our Mod.

A lot of transplants don't realize the Oklahoma history also defines who we are today and that sets us apart culturally and economically.

My own tribal members only had 10 families living in houses in 1890 per the Indian agent on the Kiowa/Comanche/Apache reservation. The rest were still camping out NDN style, resisting the changes even the religion and language.

Consequently, this thread is not just answering the FAQ of does OK have jobs and housing available, we also have a different identity.

All newbies need to understand we are more than oil wells, rural farmland, and city jobs, we are vastly different from other states.

Moderator cut: snip
>>>>>
Kiowa/Comanche/Apache
<<<<<

This explains why I don't wanna make RB mad!

Old 03-23-2011, 03:54 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,528,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
Kiowa/Comanche/Apache
<<<<<

This explains why I don't wanna make RB mad!
Fullback will tell you, RB ain't nuthin' compared to those ol' boys back home. And I am not joking. I am peaceful in comparison.

Tribal politics is worse than the american politics, if you can believe that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma