U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2011, 01:08 PM

185 posts, read 169,150 times
Default Rest stops along US 69 (with restrooms and stuff?)

I'm BAAAAAAACK!

Are there any quality rest stops along US 69 between the Indian Nation Turnpike and Muskogee that have good bathrooms and picnic seating for up to 31 people?

This summer, my church group is driving up to Tahlequah OK for a church retreat, and we're driving from Austin Texas. The drive time puts us between Atoka and Muskogee for lunch time.

Because of time issues, we're planning on packing our lunch and eating it at a rest stop. This would shave at least 30 minutes off of our travel time compared to eating at a restaurant.

On the return journey, we'll stop in Krebs for lunch, as we don't have to be anywhere at a certain time.

For some background, we plan to leave Austin Texas at around 6am and arrive in Tahlequah at 4pm.

I've tried looking up information about rest stops in Oklahoma, but I haven't found anything useful and the information I have found says that there's only proper rest stops along the Interstates.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 03:31 PM

14,023 posts, read 9,206,871 times
No, there's nothing between the IT and Muskogee, but there is one at the Texas state line at Colbert, OK.

However, you should be able to find plenty of campgrounds with privy's around Lake Eufaula.

If your church is Southern Baptist, the Oklahoma Baptist's have a campground and facilities at Lake McAlester, north of McAlester, OK which I'm sure they wouldn't mind you using. Heck, they wouldn't mind if your NOT SBC!

Somebody at this website will be able to put you on to whatever we might have available along your route: http://www.bgco.org

Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 PM

185 posts, read 169,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No, there's nothing between the IT and Muskogee, but there is one at the Texas state line at Colbert, OK.

However, you should be able to find plenty of campgrounds with privy's around Lake Eufaula.

If your church is Southern Baptist, the Oklahoma Baptist's have a campground and facilities at Lake McAlester, north of McAlester, OK which I'm sure they wouldn't mind you using. Heck, they wouldn't mind if your NOT SBC!

Somebody at this website will be able to put you on to whatever we might have available along your route: Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma
Well I would choose the rest area at the border, but we're going to be passing through that area at around 11 am or so, which is a bit too early for lunch (depending on when we eat breakfast).

Do the campgrounds around Lake Eufaula have restrooms?

We're not Southern Baptist (we're Unity), but I guess if we contact them ahead of time, they'll be okay with us using their facilities.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:52 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,711,389 times
You could pull into Eufaula Cove Marina and eat there. They have restrooms and tables that should seat that many and they are covered too!!!

Old 04-17-2011, 02:48 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,339,230 times
The last time I was in Eufaula Cove Marina I found the rest rooms in disrepair. Maybe something has been done this winter to fix them up but I doubt it.

Oklahoma is one of the few states I have ever been too that doesn't provide rest areas. In Kansas and Texas they have them not only on their 4 lane roads but also on their busy two land highways. A few years ago I was at the overlook above Ft Gibson Dam and was talking with a family from Wisconsin. They were passing through on there way to Texas. They were surprised on how nice the area look, but they were shocked about having to use a trench Toilet on the Will Rogers Turnpike. They had there 82 year old mother with them and said it was disgusting having to use such a restroom. But we pay less taxes here so I guess that makes it OK. I wonder if you can get arrested if you get caught going in the bushes?

Old 04-17-2011, 06:45 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,711,389 times
In Muskogee there is a very nice park also... Honor Heights Park is about 2 miles west of 69 highway and there are signs posted to show the way. There are picnic tables and restrooms there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma