Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:35 AM

15 posts, read 53,257 times

Advertisements

Hi PatoLiza !

I don't know that much about the school systems other than do alot of googling on elgin's school and the Lawton schools.i graduated highschool a few years ago and i'm sure things have changed tremendously !

the sad thing about this area is that music is not as important in the schools as the sports are and i just hate that..music should be important.I love it !

Elgin and Lawton are both actually pretty safe..just don't get out late at night in Lawton things get a little crazy sometimes..do your shopping and whatever during the day..Elgin is a quiet town it's growing rapidly, ~there are houses to buy near the lake, but as for being built ? I haven't heard too much " local talk " about that..just about the ones being built in and around Elgin...

oh and if you are planning on being here this weekend be cautious because we are supposed to have icy bad weather !

Hope that helps you some
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 09:39 AM

102 posts, read 286,433 times
Thank you very much shelbylane. I hope the weather will cooperate with us next weekend. I don't like driving on ice. It makes me disappointed to know that there is no budget for music (String orchestra, etc.) in most schools out there. That's a discrimination for those who are not gifted with sports abilities. Perhaps I can start to lobby for it. Ha-ha! I will try my best to post what I gather after scouting the area. See you later. Thanks again.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:33 AM

Well we made it to Ft. Sill last Saturday to "scout" the area before buying a house. Went to Elgin right away and the good thing about the rain during this time was that it enabled me to assess the potential flooding in the neighborhood. Elgin looked peaceful and quite. I heard from the locals that the schools are good. We did more "scouting" and noticed that the East side of Lawton is not too congested. We will be back during spring break to scout some more and get more info on schools and neighborhood. The quick trip gave us some ideas where to live at a convenient place to consider driving time to and from work, extracurricular activities, church,etc... Moving is not fun when you are content where you are. Ft. Hood is not the most exotic place to live in but when one is content here, moving is rather inconvenient. But when you are in the army- we have to suck it up.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:27 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,093,719 times
Good luck at Ft sill, my three year stay there was great, I loved it . But, then again that was back in 1979 til 1982. Then the Army dragged my poor sorry butt off to Hawaii for three years , that just broke my heart to have too go. Boo Hoo !! I do hope that enjoy it there.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:43 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,805,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatoLiza View Post
Well we made it to Ft. Sill last Saturday to "scout" the area before buying a house. Went to Elgin right away and the good thing about the rain during this time was that it enabled me to assess the potential flooding in the neighborhood. Elgin looked peaceful and quite. I heard from the locals that the schools are good. We did more "scouting" and noticed that the East side of Lawton is not too congested. We will be back during spring break to scout some more and get more info on schools and neighborhood. The quick trip gave us some ideas where to live at a convenient place to consider driving time to and from work, extracurricular activities, church,etc... Moving is not fun when you are content where you are. Ft. Hood is not the most exotic place to live in but when one is content here, moving is rather inconvenient. But when you are in the army- we have to suck it up.
You made it! I thought about you several times over the weekend with the icy weather and everything! I hope the weather is nicer to you next time.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:17 AM

Thanks LadyRobyn. I hope so too that next time the weather will cooperate. We were not that super crazy with Lawton but the East side will do. We heard good things about Elgin school district but we were not crazy about how the builders/developers are building up the new neighborhood. We noticed that the roads in the subdivision were not completed or paved. Most neighborhoods we've visited, the roads/gutters are usually the first that are established. We just got a welcome letter from our commander warning us about not so honest builders who don't abide OK Building Rules/regulations ( I would love to get hold of those printed rules as our guide into buying.) Anyway, it appeared to me that the houses there are pricey compared to Ft. Hood area. We plan on visiting Duncan next time as our first stop before reaching Lawton. I will now research intensively about Duncan as my husband expressed curiousity about the place. Better go and get my home ready for the market. Wish me luck. Thanks again and till next posting.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:43 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,584,913 times
At least someone is looking out for the interests of the new people there. I would want to see the road & curbs before I signed a contract too.

I think Duncan is a great town, and their schools have always had a good reputation around the state.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:28 PM

Can someone tell where and how to get a copy of OK's building code, rules and regulations, etc...? Also a nonbias trustworthy appraisor/appraiser in the area. We will be needing one when we decide to buy. Thanks again and looking forward to the next posting.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:16 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,584,913 times
I don't think there is a state building code. Each larger city, like Lawton, has a building code.

Here is a link to the building codes for Lawton:
Chapter 6 BUILDINGS, CONSTRUCTION AND HOUSING (http://www.cityof.lawton.ok.us/CityCode/Lawton_City_Code/Chapter_6/index.html - broken link)

Old 02-22-2008, 08:12 PM

Thank you very much peggydavis. My goodness there's a lot to know. When we bought our first house here in Ft. Hood area, we were not warned of dishonest builders so we didn't even think of violations, etc. I hope between my husband and I we can remember most of the codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma