U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:15 PM

17 posts, read 49,504 times
Paraviews....
I am a Lansden. You might have remembered my sister Sara..she graduated in 1980. I was a bit younger and graduated in 1987. We moved to Wetumka the Christmas of 1979. The house wasn't completed until summer of 1980 so we lived in a trailer at the ranch just down the road from the house. It was an interesting transition for all of us coming from OKC from a private school to Wetumka!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,874 times
My name is Jeremy Gibbs i live in the house 501 E Broadway

Old 11-22-2008, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,874 times
I live in that house

Old 01-07-2009, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumila74 View Post
Hello, I used to live in Wetumka off and on from the third grade, sixth grade, ninth grade and my Senior year. I graduated in 1974. I have been trying to locate a friend that graduated with me that same year by the name of Bessie Harjo. Her father owned a barber shop in town. We used to live at 420 East Frisco. The last time I was in Wetumka, the house we used to live in wasn't there any more. My name is Chumila Hill, I had a sister a year younger than me named Hazel Hill. My grandfather that we used to live with was Rev. Tony Hill. If anyone can help me to locate Bessie Harjo or Leo Wesley please post any information that may help me. Thanks a bunch!
Chumila, I do not know Bessie Harjo's address but her Dad, Leonard Harjo, lives in Okemah now. Also, Leo Wesley's brother, Lowell, still lives in Wetumka. Hope this helps you.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,056 times
Default Wetumka families

I was born in Wetumka in 1943, and my mother, Margaret Roberts, was born there in 1924. John Mathis Roberts and family settled there in 1907. The Roberts family had a farm on highway 9 a couple of miles outside the town. We left there when I was just a young child, but I had many relatives living in the area: interrelated families: Roberts, Abbott (in Allen), Barnes, Andrews, Margraves, Grigsby, Sutton, Watson, Graves and others. The Robertses used to have family reunions in Ada. I went to a couple in the early 1990s.

Anybody know of these families? Any of them still in Wetumka? Eric (Buddy) Newsom

Old 12-28-2009, 11:19 PM

355 posts, read 441,446 times
I grew up and went to School at Moss High School and lived at the entrance of the old Transoak Gas Plant, now Enogex. Wetumka sure has gone down hill since I was just a kid. Almost all the stores have closed, the kids for the most part are thugs gangster wannabees, and it seems to be on its deathbed. It's really a shame too, but thats what is happening to most of Hughes County. You couldn't pay me to move back.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,816 times
I moved away from Wetumka in the 9th grade which would of been 1963 I believe. My dad a Bill Morgan were friends and my dad was City Manager at the time. I had lots of fun times living there in Wetumka and didn't want to move, but didn't have a choice. I ran around with Darrell Neese, Kim Ray, Mike Fleming, etc. and had to do piano duets with Cindy Heath. God how I hated playing the piano. haha....In regards to Mr. Morgan's kids, their names were Andy and Julie I believe, and when Andy was a very young child, he fell out of the back seat of the car onto the roadway and was literally in a body cast if I remember right. That was a very, very long time ago. Too bad we can't sometimes go back and relive the past. Anyone wanting to respond back can reach me at: [email]david.shed@cox.net[/email]

Old 05-11-2010, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,763 times
Default Osborn Murders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Stafford View Post
To mld87 I believe there was few Osborn boys at the time of that murder. I don't think your daddy would have let your sister around Billy Osborn anyway. It wasn't Osborn Boys!! It was a Osborn boy (Billy) and his sister with a help of a friend that killed his family. Billy waited in the kitchen while his friend came in and killed them and he watched. But Billy and his sister is the one that planed it.

Hello, as I remember it, as I was there and played basketball in the gym the last period with Billy and Jessee before they caught the bus home the day of the killings, his friend was named Jessee, oddly enough. He sent his sister into the kitchen for a glass of milk and that was the signal for Jessee to come out of the bedroom closet after cpming in the window with a gun.... Both Billy and Jessee did the shooting taking turns....all the while the sister was in the kitchen.... they then spred silverware around the kitchen floor to make it look like a robery... they took the sister to her friends where she broke down and told the parents of her friend.. then they drove through town, turned around and headed back to the Ranch-hotel... where they were met by nearly every Policeman in the State.... that is where I lost the story as I moved to Dallas....if anyone knows the rest of the story like maybe prison or what ever I would be curious.... did Billy and his sister get the land, etc....how about Jessee are they all in Jail? I am thinking about writing a book.....

Last edited by rgroden; 05-11-2010 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: bad grammer

Old 07-29-2010, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,611 times
Found a book on line about Wetumka. Here is the link [url=http://books.google.com/books?id=BhZ-WE9JbPgC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Osborn+Wetumka&sou rce=bl&ots=0pOa-swL36&sig=fezViT6gIrAmoraYPTUqRlhgR5U&hl=en&ei=Hfp RTKy3MsX_lgf9raHQBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result& resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false]Wetumka: A Centennial History - Google Books[/url]

Old 08-08-2010, 09:30 PM

5 posts, read 7,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughesCo View Post
Found a book on line about Wetumka. Here is the link Wetumka: A Centennial History - Google Books
I bought that book for my Dad. He was born in Wetumka in 1937 and said the book was great. Lots of Wetumka history. Our family had the Herring Hardware Store in Wetumka for many years. I've heard many stories about all the people standing around the big pot-belly stove in the hardware store on cold days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma