Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:16 AM

15 posts, read 69,375 times

Advertisements

Hello to all of you wonderful people in Oklahoma,

You may have remembered that I posted on this message board before about moving to either Tulsa or southern Oklahoma. Well, I found a great job in Tulsa and we will be arriving next week. We will be driving from Massachusetts in a used RV with our 3 dogs and 6 cats. Should be an adventure. We are really excited. I know it's hot there now, but here in Massachusetts it was 56 degrees this am and I had to break down and turn the heat on.

Anyway, we found a house to rent in Mounds and I can't figure out how to get my landline phone and hopefully DSL internet set up. There is the company called TDS but they haven't called me back. Does anyone know who we should call? We'd love to at least have phone service when we get there in case our cell doesn't work out there.

Thanks to all who responded to my previous posts. We will keep you posted on how we like Northeast OK. We are glad we got a rental home so now we can take a year and really check out the area, maybe even look at Tahlequah, before we buy.

Quincy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 11:53 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,336,854 times
Hey, how nice of you to check back in and let us know your progress. Good luck on your trip and be sure to let us know what area you end up in.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:08 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,187,045 times
Sounds like you are all set, as for DSL, I can't help you except to let you know it isn't available in many parts of NE OK. Hopefully this won't be your experience.

Keep everyone posted. Even though we are heading (next spring) to NWA, I still love to hear what others are saying about OK. You know we could still change our minds. I doubt it, but we could. Both places are so inviting.

Nita

Old 08-10-2007, 12:13 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,308,426 times
I am calling AT&T for my DSL since I have their phone service. I think they may have more hours of technical help than my cable TV here in Tahlequah that only operates from 9 to 5 Monday to Friday.

If you get there on a weekday call the Chamber of Commerce or a Realtor, and they will hook you up to places like telephone, water, electric, etc.

This sounds so exciting to me because I can still remember leaving CA for here, and we had just a puppy. We had to use puppy pads in the Motel 6s that we stopped at, not that she didn't miss the pads and use their rugs, but she tried. Now we have another puppy. Let us know when you arrive, well, as soon as you get internet. I have no idea where Mounds is located.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:46 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,813,118 times
Mounds is South of Tulsa about 15 miles, about two miles West of highway 75. I've never been there, but driven by it on hwy 75 about a zillion times. I don't know if they have DSL there or not. Many smaller towns don't have DSL. So jessaka, you have DSL available in Tahlequah? That's good to hear. I would imagine you would since the University is there.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:25 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,588,838 times
We live out in the middle of nowhere, and we get high speed internet through a company called Plainsnet. Maybe something like that is available in Mounds. My sister used to live near Mounds, before she and her husband came out here to retire. She wasn't really into internet at home then, since she had access at her workplace.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:07 AM

Thanks for all of your replies. The man who is leasing the house to us told us that the house geographically is in Bixby and he doesn't know why it's technicially within the town of Mounds. As he described we can follow Yale ave from Tulsa almost to our front door. I think we can get DSL, but if not it's not a huge deal. We live in a rural area and are stuck with dial up now. I really just would love to get phone service so we are not without communication if our cells don't work. Chamber of commerce is a great idea. I'll try them Monday. AT&T said they didn't provide phone service there. Can't figure that one out. Once we lived in a small town that had it's own ph company, maybe this is the same thing.

Jesska, we'd love to get to Tahlequah someday. As soon as we get settled we'll be making a day trip. We never made it there when we went for job interviews, but it sounds great. Since we aren't tied down by owning a home we are going to seriously look at settling in Tahlequah eventually, maybe by next year. It just sounds so nice.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:33 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,813,118 times
Good luck in your new home Quincy. I hope that you and your family are really happy in Oklahoma (I would be!).

What kind of work are you in if you don't mind me asking?

Old 08-11-2007, 01:22 PM

If you remember I am a veterinarian and I will be working at a large 24 hour hospital doing a lot of emergency/critical care and some acupuncture. The hospital is VCA Woodland Central. I am also getting involved with a low cost spay neuter group- Oklahoma Alliance for Animals. I was going to go out there and start or buy a practice then realized that was way to stressful. Better to let someone write my paychecks for a few months until we get settled.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 14,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Hello to all of you wonderful people in Oklahoma,

You may have remembered that I posted on this message board before about moving to either Tulsa or southern Oklahoma. Well, I found a great job in Tulsa and we will be arriving next week. We will be driving from Massachusetts in a used RV with our 3 dogs and 6 cats. Should be an adventure. We are really excited. I know it's hot there now, but here in Massachusetts it was 56 degrees this am and I had to break down and turn the heat on.

Anyway, we found a house to rent in Mounds and I can't figure out how to get my landline phone and hopefully DSL internet set up. There is the company called TDS but they haven't called me back. Does anyone know who we should call? We'd love to at least have phone service when we get there in case our cell doesn't work out there.

Thanks to all who responded to my previous posts. We will keep you posted on how we like Northeast OK. We are glad we got a rental home so now we can take a year and really check out the area, maybe even look at Tahlequah, before we buy.

Quincy
If you want to get your DSL set up you can call AT&T (1-800-958-1491)and give them your new address. They will tell you if they service that area, and if no who does. Kind regards, Deborah

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 08-11-2007 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: no advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma