Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:22 PM

557 posts, read 1,663,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clover10689 View Post
Nothing religious really bothers me- even if someone tries to rub my face in their belief I just do it back. If they don't do it to me, I am fine. (But since I'm Christian, I don't think that'll be an issue.)

The only problems I have are heat, tornados and bugs (HATE bugs. Especially spiders!) but it seems like thats on alot of lists lol. =)
As far as the religion issue, Oklahoma is not NEARLY the worst state for people pushing their religion on others; except for Tulsa, which is or has been home to a number of religious kooks, the rest of the state is really quite normal for a Midwestern state.

It is true that there is some heat, but you will find summer heat in any of the Plains states and southern tier states.

The bugs -- yes, they are there. There are black widow spiders and scorpions. But, again, you will find those in any state in the southern half of the U.S.

I would never let tornadoes dictate where I live. OKC and vicinity have a higher rate than most areas of the country, but the likelihood of being in one is extremely small.

One thing that nobody mentioned is the wind. Especially in the western half of the state. There, most of the trees actually lean because of the ever-present 20mph wind (sometimes much faster). It is pretty easy to have a bad-hair day in west OK

All of that being said, I still think Oklahoma is the best place I ever lived, primarily because of the people and the "big sky". I hope to be able to move back in the near future.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:31 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,299,394 times
I agree with you jsherman,

no one in Tahlequah has been pushy about their religion, but I can think of one atheist here that has been pushy.

I have lived in far hotter places than this. To name them: Fresno, CA and Milton, FL.

I happen to love bugs, so it is exciting to have the variety here, but I don't like the mosquitoes, but Flordia where I lived had no-see-ums, and those were horrible. I have lived where there are so few bugs that I missed them--San Diego, CA. I have missed butterflies everywhere I lived, and we have them in Oklahoma. I don't like living with the brown recluse and was bitten by a spider in my house the other day, but the bite isn't turning black so I am okay. The house will be sprayed in and out. I hate pesticides. But that may solve our problem. Of course everywhere I have lived their have been black widows and scorpions, even in San Diego. Plus they had mountain lions to be feared and warnings to not walk in the woods alone. But then there are more ticks here than anywhere I have seen, but this is a bad year for them.

We don't have the wind in this part of the country--east.

This is the best place I have ever lived too, and I would loved to have been able to have bought a ranch, but I didn't want to have to drive into town. So I am happy with 1/2 acre in town.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:56 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,580,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpoguy View Post
There's plenty I like about the place! That wasn't the question being posed, though. I was just answering the question.

The reason you're giving about lower taxes drawing businesses is the one the right-wing politicians in OK looooove to give when giving tax breaks to big businesses. It's true that certain industries who are looking for the lowest possible operating costs (which includes paying the lowest possible salaries, by the way) will move to Oklahoma because it's cheap. I was referring to types of industres that hire a lot of college graduates, however. The leaders of those industries will tell you that they will locate in places where they can hire the best and brightest, and where those people want to move and stay. They'll pay higher taxes to be able to do that. That's why there's no shortage of jobs for college grads in New York, New England, Chicago area, California, etc., despite their much higher tax rates. Oklahoma does the things to attract the low paying jobs, but not the education-requiring creativity-based jobs. That's why we have a brain drain.
Any jobs are better than no jobs. We need to attract any and all industries to Oklahoma. I believe that OK is doing its best to attract the more professional type of commerce, but it is true we do not have ski mountains, oceans, or ocean ports for that matter. According to the census bureau, 33 states had a net loss for migration for the young, college educated group, so we are not alone in this problem.

The more probable by the day relocation of the Sonics is one more amenity we can add for quality of life here.

We have 4 children. All have college degrees. All four now live in the OKC metro area. One (never left OKC) is a CPA in a managerial position at a larger regional accounting firm, another (been around the country) is an officer in the Navy, another (lived in Seattle for a while, came back for some sun) is trying to find himself, the last (still here) is in OU law school, and intends to stay in OK. Lucky me!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 11:33 AM

169 posts, read 453,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
The more probable by the day relocation of the Sonics is one more amenity we can add for quality of life here.
Does it prove I'm an Okie that when I saw "Sonics" I thought you were talking about the restaurants and got really confused for a second?

Old 08-13-2007, 11:35 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Any jobs are better than no jobs. We need to attract any and all industries to Oklahoma. I believe that OK is doing its best to attract the more professional type of commerce, but it is true we do not have ski mountains, oceans, or ocean ports for that matter. According to the census bureau, 33 states had a net loss for migration for the young, college educated group, so we are not alone in this problem.

We have 4 children. All have college degrees. All four now live in the OKC metro area. One (never left OKC) is a CPA in a managerial position at a larger regional accounting firm, another (been around the country) is an officer in the Navy, another (lived in Seattle for a while, came back for some sun) is trying to find himself, the last (still here) is in OU law school, and intends to stay in OK. Lucky me!!!
Great information Peggy. I think, as the cost of living in some of the high tech states continues to rise and these state suffer from over crowding to some extent more companies will be looking at smaller, less crowded states and places with a little slower pace. That puts OK, AR, NM, ID already, etc in a very good poisition. I have watched Austin over the years. In 1988 when we left Washington DC my husband almost took a job in Austin. At that time property was dirt cheap compared even to Dallas, salaries were low as well (the reason he didn't accept the job as a matter of fact) and nothing seemed very positive. 20 years later, look at what has happened.

Nita

Old 08-13-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Does it prove I'm an Okie that when I saw "Sonics" I thought you were talking about the restaurants and got really confused for a second?
hey I am not one and I too thought she meant Sonic as in Sonic burgers drive in.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:02 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,790,505 times
Quote:
I believe that OK is doing its best to attract the more professional type of commerce, but it is true we do not have ski mountains, oceans, or ocean ports for that matter.
But we do have the Port of Catoosa! One of the farthest inland ports in the US.

Welcome to the Tulsa Port of Catoosa.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:50 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,580,198 times
Quote:
Yes, Valpoguy, I guess it does. You can take the boy out of Okieland, but........

Nita, in your case I think you are almost an Arkie!

Synopsis, I forgot about the Port of Catoosa.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:55 PM

660 posts, read 2,434,932 times
the only thing i can think of is the tornadoes luckily never had to deal with one when i've been down there otherwise i love oklahoma

Old 08-13-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, Valpoguy, I guess it does. You can take the boy out of Okieland, but........

Nita, in your case I think you are almost an Arkie!

Synopsis, I forgot about the Port of Catoosa.
I am, but because my dad and aunt were born in OK and my granddaughter, husband and baby live there, doesn't that make me 1/4 OK?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma