Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:49 PM

7 posts, read 23,769 times

Advertisements

My husband just got orders to ft. sill, so we'll be moving there in May. I've never been there, and have some questions. I've heard that there aren't really completely "good" area's in lawton, except for in new developements. -Does anyone know what these new developements are called, and how the schools are? We'd really rather rent a house than buy, are there many options to rent nicer houses? - what are the prices like? Okay and my biggest question is about the bugs/snakes/rodents I live in Colorado right now, and there really aren't many at all (except for moths a few months out of the year.) How bad are the bugs/snakes ect? What all do you have there, and how often do you see them/are they a problem ect. Thanks for any info.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 12:55 AM

70 posts, read 284,401 times
There's lots of new housing developments around the Lawton-Fort Sill area, but just about all have houses for sale, not rent. It's easier to rent decent stand-alone houses in Lawton than outside of Lawton -unless you're looking a good distance out of town in places like Elgin, Fletcher or Walters. It is tricky finding a vacant house for rent in a good Lawton neighborhood like Fields and Dunning or the better parts of Old Town North. Most renters usually grab a decent apartment until they find something they want to buy or get housing aboard post.

Prices vary pretty widely, but generally the housing is quite a lot less expensive than it is in Colorado.

As to the rodents, bugs and snakes thing...the Lawton Fort Sill area has its fair share. OTOH, Colorado isn't without. My parents live near Colorado Springs and I've spotted black widow spiders in their garage.

You won't find many snakes in Lawton itself. But be careful if you go hiking in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge or other rural areas. Be careful in any garage, attic or back yard shed. Brown recluse spiders like those places.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby H View Post
There's lots of new housing developments around the Lawton-Fort Sill area, but just about all have houses for sale, not rent. It's easier to rent decent stand-alone houses in Lawton than outside of Lawton -unless you're looking a good distance out of town in places like Elgin, Fletcher or Walters. It is tricky finding a vacant house for rent in a good Lawton neighborhood like Fields and Dunning or the better parts of Old Town North. Most renters usually grab a decent apartment until they find something they want to buy or get housing aboard post.

Prices vary pretty widely, but generally the housing is quite a lot less expensive than it is in Colorado.

As to the rodents, bugs and snakes thing...the Lawton Fort Sill area has its fair share. OTOH, Colorado isn't without. My parents live near Colorado Springs and I've spotted black widow spiders in their garage.

You won't find many snakes in Lawton itself. But be careful if you go hiking in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge or other rural areas. Be careful in any garage, attic or back yard shed. Brown recluse spiders like those places.
Thanks for your help!

Old 11-06-2008, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,150 times
Hi, we just found out that we will be moving to Fort Sill in June/July timeframe. I am really not happy about the move but anything to get back on the mainland. We are stationed at Schofield Barracks and it is to far from home. We have 2 teenage boys and I have heard nothing but bad things about Fort Sill. I am very nervous about moving out in the middle of know where. I am from the country so I will probably adapt easy. We are looking at buying a house. Any suggestions I will glady appreciate them. We want to live in a nice neighborhood with 4 bedrooms 2 bath. I have been searching around but it is still kind of to early to be looking. What kind of bugs are out there? I am terrified of bugs. I have been reading the other posts so I am getting a feel of OK.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:26 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissa4506 View Post
Hi, we just found out that we will be moving to Fort Sill in June/July timeframe. I am really not happy about the move but anything to get back on the mainland. We are stationed at Schofield Barracks and it is to far from home. We have 2 teenage boys and I have heard nothing but bad things about Fort Sill. I am very nervous about moving out in the middle of know where. I am from the country so I will probably adapt easy. We are looking at buying a house. Any suggestions I will glady appreciate them. We want to live in a nice neighborhood with 4 bedrooms 2 bath. I have been searching around but it is still kind of to early to be looking. What kind of bugs are out there? I am terrified of bugs. I have been reading the other posts so I am getting a feel of OK.
Well, I wouldn't worry too much about bugs. In all the time I've been in OK, I've never run across a bug bigger than me.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:02 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
I run across a baby copperhead snake in my closet the other day...

Old 11-07-2008, 02:09 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I run across a baby copperhead snake in my closet the other day...
Cure, aren't they? Copperheads are one of the prettiest snakes. But not at all cuddly, so one isn't tempted to pick it up and play with it. The best thing about snakes is that even if you find a little one, you never have to worry about an angry mama coming to see what junior is squalling about.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:51 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Rissa4506, there are a lot of bugs in OK, and a lot of snakes in the Wichita's around Lawton. But you'll be in town so you shouldn't have to worry about more than a scourge or two ... on biblical scales! Just kidding.

When we were rototilling our garden area, we hit a nest of baby snakes. Talk about waking me up!

Old 02-19-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinmainerealestate View Post
Hello, I may also be making the transition to Ft. Sill with my husband within the next 6 months or so. I would like to know why anyone would not want to live on Post? Is it not safer? Would anyone be able to tell me about on Post housing? Is it nice? I too am a new spouse to Army life. Please tell me about the Tornados as that worries me, also about bugs or snake problems. Thank you

The biggest reason we don't ever live on post is for the simple fact that the military is in our lives enough, we don't need them in our home as well. I'm the spouse, and I don't have any need/want to live by the "military rules" I prefer the laws of our country. I think this may have come off as hostile towards the military, and I'm not, but I just don't agree with EVERYTHING they do and the way they do it, just like anything else.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 PM

81 posts, read 293,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockash View Post
My husband just got orders to ft. sill, so we'll be moving there in May. I've never been there, and have some questions. I've heard that there aren't really completely "good" area's in lawton, except for in new developements. -Does anyone know what these new developements are called, and how the schools are? We'd really rather rent a house than buy, are there many options to rent nicer houses? - what are the prices like? Okay and my biggest question is about the bugs/snakes/rodents I live in Colorado right now, and there really aren't many at all (except for moths a few months out of the year.) How bad are the bugs/snakes ect? What all do you have there, and how often do you see them/are they a problem ect. Thanks for any info.!
If you are going to be at Ft. Sill longer than 2 years then I would suggest buying a house instead of renting. Housing prices in the Entire Lawton area are on the rise and it would be a good investment instead of putting all that money into someone elses pockets.

Housing prices are based on the size, age and where the house is located. New house prices are on average $180,000 and up.

There are several nice housing areas around Lawton, but there are several new developments going in on the Southwest part of town.

Best thing I would suggest is to make a trip down to the area and just drive around and check with the Realty companies to see what is available.

The Schools in Lawton are begining to feel the effects of BRAC. All the schools are gettting over crowded. There are alot of families moving out to the smaller towns where the schools are that way (yet). Elgin, Cache, Duncan and even Geronimo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma