Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 06:39 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Its really depressing how a lot of the locals seem to reject education and economic development as some sort of horrible plot from the elite to change their lives.
Maybe they have seen the areas that DID embrace economic development and didn't like what they saw. They probably like their life just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 06:42 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Oklahoma is the Native State. It has the second largest Native American population in America. It is also a natural state with grand lakes, beautiful streams, rolling hills, and abundant wildlife as well as red earth and miles of dust - depending where you live.

Oklahoma is a poor state as much as Alabama and Georgia are poor states. It has highs and lows, good and bad, but by-and-large there are far more worse places to live in the United States. Oklahoma is the only place I would live twice. Despite the negatives it has some wonderful positives if you know where to look.
I moved here in 1994 from Cape Cod. My quality of life has improved 1000%

Old 01-25-2012, 07:16 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
I moved here in 1994 from Cape Cod. My quality of life has improved 1000%
I'm originally from Kansas City and I just don't think cities like Tulsa or Oklahoma City are comparable if you are measuring many variables

Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'm originally from Kansas City and I just don't think cities like Tulsa or Oklahoma City are comparable if you are measuring many variables
Granite, KC is fine, but you can't put a price-tag on the people of Oklahoma.

^^^
I'm guessing this is one of the main reasons so many folks love the quality of life here, even if they may not make as much money.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 01-25-2012 at 08:49 AM..

Old 01-25-2012, 09:31 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I hope that was a joke.
If you moved to my neighborhood, that would make ME your neighbor........I seriously doubt you would find that all that good......................unless, of course, you don't mind being left alone.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 PM

778 posts, read 2,323,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Maybe they have seen the areas that DID embrace economic development and didn't like what they saw. They probably like their life just the way it is.
I'm sure many people are very happy with their lives and are content in their situation now. But for a municipality to adapt that mindset is very irresponsible.

If you aren't growing then you're dying. Towns that choose to ignore economic development will eventually see their tax base decline and young people move away. Schools, roads, and services will suffer, and the town will go into a slow death spiral. It is happening all over this state and its very sad because it doesn't have to be that way.

And why does a growth have to mean a complete wipeout of the local culture/lifestyle? Towns are not limited to be a slowly dying bump in the road or a hypergrowing orgy of sprawl. Their are several places both inside and outside of OK that have achieved a nice medium and are doing fine.

FWIW I have 3 people in my OKC office from SE Oklahoma. All have expressed interest to return, but they all say the opportunities are woeful even by small town standards.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:36 PM

5 posts, read 10,279 times
I drove down town Rosston OK the other day and I could not tell if it was a town or big junk yard. I am not kidding it looked bad.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:51 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogstwo View Post
I drove down town Rosston OK the other day and I could not tell if it was a town or big junk yard. I am not kidding it looked bad.
With a population of 65 and losing, I'm not surprised there's not much left but junk.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:50 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I don't need to be entertained. I enjoy solice and privacy. My property was in the original Cherokee tract that extended to the shores of Grand Lake. It is pleasing to see scissortail, cow bird, snake, rabbit, squirrel, turkey, eagle, wolf, deer and brother turtle in my yard, and to hear songs of woodpecker, whippoorwill, and wild turkey. Freedom is fishing and hunting and feeling the sun on my face. And I found all of it in the hills of Oklahoma many years ago.

Your back is as welcome to me as mine is to yours. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
If you moved to my neighborhood, that would make ME your neighbor........I seriously doubt you would find that all that good......................unless, of course, you don't mind being left alone.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 4,312 times
If economic development includes clean cuts by the current logging company or selling the water rights to Texas, one could surely understand the mentality of "how a lot of the locals seem to reject education and economic development as some sort of horrible plot from the elite to change their lives" to quote #1soonerfan. I am from Oklahoma City and have recently bought a home in McCurtain county to retire to within the next 3 years. I visit often and find the people to be kind, helpful and welcoming. I wonder what you did to make yourself an outsider? Perhaps you seeing them as some of the poorest people you have seen and I see them as some of the wealthiest and certainly the most honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma