U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2007, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,942 times

Advertisements

I am in work in Tennessee and have never visited OK and I am in the process of putting together a presentation at work and I need to get a "feel" for Clayton, OK and Pushmataha County. There is not alot on the internet but from what I can tell it is a more lush area of OK not a prairie area as I thought most of OK was.

I would appreciate any info you can share regarding the area as far as lifestyle, industry, outdoors, sports, schools, shopping, etc.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 03:39 PM

3,160 posts, read 7,444,561 times
I have visited Clayton many times. I am a horse rider, outdoors lover.

Here are some links:

This place is about 6 miles from Clayton, be sure to check the pics:
Welcome

Here is a link about Jeep trails:

SWFWDA Kiamichi Mountains 4WD Trails, Clayton, Oklahoma

Here is one about fishing etc.:

Oklahoma lakes, Lake Sardis Fishing Guides, Fishing Reports, Maps ...

Couldn't cut and paste this next part or make a link so I will just summarize this government report:

Pushmataha was the name of a Choctaw leader. Antlers, the county seat has manufacturers of products like custom mixed concrete, roof trusses, building materials and sportswear. Tourism and recreation are major parts of the economy, and agricultural is a basic component of the economy. The principal crop is wheat. Tuskahoma, noted for its fine architecture, was the last capitol of the Choctaw Nation.

As for shopping in Clayton, mostly that is the Dollar Store. I think there are two grocery stores. There is a pawn shop that sells guns and fishing stuff. There is some logging taking place on [SIZE=-1]Weyerhaeuser land. Government work is a big source of employment. There is a cute bed and breakfast near Indian Mounds Camp. There are several cafes that serve down home food. It was a big deal a couple of years ago when the rural water lines were extended, because it is difficult or impossible to have a water well.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, this is how locals in the area keep city slickers from moving there:
Searching For Bigfoot: Winter 2006 Bigfoot Expedition Diary ...

Last edited by peggydavis; 08-21-2007 at 03:53 PM..

Old 08-22-2007, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 5,942 times
Thank you Peggy! You have given me some great info to get started with.

What towns are closer to Clayton that would have more in the way of shopping, amentities, etc?

Thanks for your help.

Lisa

Old 08-22-2007, 11:16 AM

3,160 posts, read 7,444,561 times
The closest towns with stores like Walmart or Lowes for shopping are McAlester, about 50 miles, and Hugo, about 60 miles.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:50 PM

14 posts, read 63,186 times
Wilburton is about 20 miles north on scenic HWY 2, from Clayton. It is a county seat with a good little grocery store as well as some other shops for your basic needs. Robber's Cave State Park is just out of town. The gas drilling industry is very active in the area at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma