Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 12:05 PM

29 posts, read 70,690 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be driving through Oklahoma from Texas in late January. We'll drive on the 40 EB.
Knowing that we'll have several hours available, what are the "must-see" places to visit on that route?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 12:23 PM

17,791 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCfromCA View Post
My wife and I will be driving through Oklahoma from Texas in late January. We'll drive on the 40 EB.
Knowing that we'll have several hours available, what are the "must-see" places to visit on that route?

Thanks!
How many hours and what type of things are you interested in?

There are route 66 museums just off of the highway in Elk City and Clinton, OK.

Old Fort Reno and famous onion burgers in El Reno, OK.

Garth Brooks sites in Yukon.

Quite a few things in OKC that could be of interest (OKC Memorial and Myriad Gardens, Bricktown).

Woodie Guthrie sites in Okemah. Troy Aikman sites in Henryetta.

Sallisaw has the homes of Seqouyah and Pretty Boy Floyd.

There are a number of interesting things that are close to the interstate but might take an hour or two extra to drive there.

Eating places that are neat as you go across the state include Simon's Catch southwest of Elk City.

Friends Bar and Pizza in Canute.

The White Dog right off the freeway in Clinton or Adamo's Italian in Clinton. Or Jiggs BBQ on freeway in Clinton.

Lucille's Roadhouse in Weatherford.

Aforementioned Onion Burgers in El Reno.

Cattleman's (and a bunch of others in OKC)

Wildhorse BBQ in Sallisaw.

Any of these would be worth stopping at to eat.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:07 AM

29 posts, read 70,690 times
That's great stuff right there. Thanks! We'll spend the night in OKC.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:16 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
If you are spending the night in OKC then you've got lots of choices for things to do and see. I would definitely recommend visiting the OKC Memorial and be sure to save time to visit the adjoining museum. Well worth your time!

Old 12-27-2011, 12:15 PM

17,791 posts, read 13,687,653 times
If you stay in OKC there is also the Cowboy Hall of Fame and Western Heritage Museum, but the OKC Memorial and Museum is absolutely a must see.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:57 PM

85 posts, read 217,921 times
I second the cowboy hall of fame, plan several hours. and not far from there is the 45th infantry museum, my son loved that one.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:11 PM

664 posts, read 2,094,153 times
The 45th Inf Museum is good and free, though donations are appreciated. I was there a couple months ago and they were working on a couple new exhibits. Beware though, looking into the mirror from Hitler's bedroom can be a bit eerie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma