U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-27-2016, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Piedmont, Okla.
636 posts, read 1,545,130 times
Reputation: 546

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Question about humidity:

Where would you say is the dividing line between the more humid/less humid parts of Oklahoma in summertime? I used to spend every summer near Poteau, Oklahoma, and the heat combined with the humidity made for a very uncomfortable situation. Part of my family just relocated to Tulsa, and I'm wondering if the Tulsa area ( or even further northeast, such as the Bartlesville area) would be less humid than southeastern Oklahoma. I ask because I am toying with the idea of relocating ( at least for 6 months) to OK from Southern California, but the heat and humidity are concerns.

So. Cal is too crowded and expensive, but we don't often get extreme heat and humidity.
Bartlesville overall would be slightly less humid than Poteau as average rainfall during the summer months is a little higher there than in Bartlesville. Temperature wise, it's about the same, maybe a degree or two hotter in Bartlesville than Poteau. Typically, hottest days out of the summer would have Bartlesville around 102-104 with about 6-8 days a summer around or over 100. Poteau's ' hottest day typically also around 102-104, sometimes they can be hotter as they are in a valley which can make it warmer still.

I would pick Bartlesville over Poteau for nearness to Tulsa and economy is a little better. Also, both places way better than So. Cal. IMHO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2016, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Piedmont, Okla.
636 posts, read 1,545,130 times
Reputation: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
The dry line's getting active in SW OK, with a tornado warning for Tipton. Pretty significant Doppler couplet in the vicinity. My in-laws in Fairview have been getting doused with rain, but no hail.
I spent some time in Tipton last evening and witnessed 1.5 inch diameter hail. Thankfully, the tornado threat was mitigated due to lots of storms firing up at once. Watch out for Friday, mainly southern OK. and N. TX. Could be a big day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2016, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Piedmont, Okla.
636 posts, read 1,545,130 times
Reputation: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Addendum: It's always a bit disconcerting to see stormchasers on TVN parked a couple hundred yards away from your home...
Glad you know about TVN. LOVE that site when I can't chase.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2016, 12:13 PM
 
2,060 posts, read 1,678,815 times
Reputation: 3084
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Bartlesville overall would be slightly less humid than Poteau as average rainfall during the summer months is a little higher there than in Bartlesville. Temperature wise, it's about the same, maybe a degree or two hotter in Bartlesville than Poteau. Typically, hottest days out of the summer would have Bartlesville around 102-104 with about 6-8 days a summer around or over 100. Poteau's ' hottest day typically also around 102-104, sometimes they can be hotter as they are in a valley which can make it warmer still.

I would pick Bartlesville over Poteau for nearness to Tulsa and economy is a little better. Also, both places way better than So. Cal. IMHO.
Thank you for the response.

Yeah, I was born in So. Cal and have lived here all my life, and I'm tired of the hustle and bustle. It's crowded, the freeways are always jammed with traffic, and the cost of living here is ridiculous. For what many Oklahomans pay in rent or mortgage for a nice, big house, the same amount would get you a one-bedroom apartment in most 'decent' parts of So. Cal.

I, do, however, think that California is one of the more beautiful states in the U.S. Even So. Cal is pretty in many areas, with the beaches and the mountains, but the traffic and congestion make going to many of these places a chore.

I've never been to Bartlesville, but it seems like a nice town. I have family in Muskogee as well, so I've gotten to explore that area as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2016, 02:21 PM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
19,408 posts, read 8,658,496 times
Reputation: 8181
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Glad you know about TVN. LOVE that site when I can't chase.

Were you one of the chasers yesterday? I was watching as they all clustered around Snyder, only to have to move east on US 62 (don't know why they avoided OK 54) in order to get to Anadarko and Apache. It was neat watching live feeds as they drove past where I work near Indiahoma.


TVN went down for about an hour just as things were firing up. The hateful comments on Twitter against TVN were vitriolic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2016, 02:24 PM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
19,408 posts, read 8,658,496 times
Reputation: 8181
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
I would pick Bartlesville over Poteau for nearness to Tulsa and economy is a little better. Also, both places way better than So. Cal. IMHO.
Likewise, for the economy and the proximity. Although Poteau offers a bit more terrain variability. My BIL lives in Poteau and doesn't like it that much, says it rains too much and it's not windy enough to keep things relatively cool. (He grew up near Muskogee; I lived near Fort Smith for a while and agree about the oppressive winds, or lack.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2016, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,690,108 times
Reputation: 16866
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
You are right. Summer can be very hot in Southern California, depending on location. I live about 8 miles inland ( as the crow flies) from Seal Beach, so our weather here in Cerritos stays relatively mild in summer, but it still gets warm. Right along the coast the temps rarely get much above 80-ish, but the inland areas routinely get up into the upper-90s/low-100s. But rarely do we get southeastern-Oklahoma-style humidity along with the heat. But the smog does make the heat worse. The valleys get heavy smog days, as do some parts of the mountains. But the coastal areas have pretty good air year round, thanks to the sea breezes.
I also lived for quite a while a quarter mile from the beach. It was MUCH cooler. The drawback was winter where we'd be fogged in completely every night, and I had to go into work an hour later and work and hour later since you literally couldn't see the tree right in the middle of the window in the morning. Summer is great, winter can have some awesome storms, but the fog problem was annoying. I also grew up in the San Fernando Valley. Back then if the smog was so bad it looked foggy they still had recess and pe and lunch outside. I've read that those who grew up then commonly have less than full lung capacity. Before emmission standards, it was pretty much every day in the summer.

I haven't noticed that Oklahoma summers are that different than Riverside summers actually. Its a bit more moist, but then Riverside can get that way when there's a lot of moisture on the coast. And of course you can see the sky here. I can breath all summer, too.

Yesterday was quite interesting I could do without a repeat though watching the radar was helpful. The most interesting part of our weather here is its so changeable and unpredictable. My first winter I was greeted by the week of barely over zero and tons of snow, my first snow. But spring and summer, except for the storms, do remind me a lot of the IE without smog.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2016, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,690,108 times
Reputation: 16866
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Thank you for the response.

Yeah, I was born in So. Cal and have lived here all my life, and I'm tired of the hustle and bustle. It's crowded, the freeways are always jammed with traffic, and the cost of living here is ridiculous. For what many Oklahomans pay in rent or mortgage for a nice, big house, the same amount would get you a one-bedroom apartment in most 'decent' parts of So. Cal.

I, do, however, think that California is one of the more beautiful states in the U.S. Even So. Cal is pretty in many areas, with the beaches and the mountains, but the traffic and congestion make going to many of these places a chore.

I've never been to Bartlesville, but it seems like a nice town. I have family in Muskogee as well, so I've gotten to explore that area as well.
I went back to visit family once, and everything seemed to be moving too fast. At first it felt odd here, but I got over that really fast. It's something I'd think hard to give up now. And when I moved back inland, we gave up trying to go to the beach. We'd spend more time driving there and back in traffic than on the sand.

The thing I most love here is the open space. It doesn't have to have soaring trees or one of a kind nature on it, just open ground with some grass and trees instead of endless rows of houses feels good. And while (where I live) the hill's are not high, its not flat. The sky is big too, and not grey mucky colored from smog. I lived in the IE where wind is normal so the wind here felt that way, but having it blow wispy clouds by was nice.

I don't read the California forum much anymore, but inevitably if you say that other places are pleasent and sometimes beautiful, Yosemite gets brought up. I was there as a child and would love to see it again, but having spectacular a yearly vacation away is just not the same thing as having the environment where you actually live feel more liveable.

Come visit and take a drive and just check things out and I hope you find your right place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Piedmont, Okla.
636 posts, read 1,545,130 times
Reputation: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Were you one of the chasers yesterday? I was watching as they all clustered around Snyder, only to have to move east on US 62 (don't know why they avoided OK 54) in order to get to Anadarko and Apache. It was neat watching live feeds as they drove past where I work near Indiahoma.


TVN went down for about an hour just as things were firing up. The hateful comments on Twitter against TVN were vitriolic.

Well, sad news.. just found out that Reed Timmer; who founded TVN pulled the plug on it permanently as of today. Apparently server issues was part of the reason. Below is another site to track those who stream their video's live. I'm hoping today won't be like this all the time for Severe Studio's as most of the streams I tried clicking on wouldn't load.

Storm Chasing Map : Live Tornado Storm Chasing & Extreme Weather WX News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2016, 03:26 PM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
19,408 posts, read 8,658,496 times
Reputation: 8181
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Well, sad news.. just found out that Reed Timmer; who founded TVN pulled the plug on it permanently as of today. Apparently server issues was part of the reason. Below is another site to track those who stream their video's live. I'm hoping today won't be like this all the time for Severe Studio's as most of the streams I tried clicking on wouldn't load.

Storm Chasing Map : Live Tornado Storm Chasing & Extreme Weather WX News
Sadly the other sites aren't nearly as good as TVN. ChaserTV has some location problems and SevereStudios doesn't map or update well (yet). Been using David Payne and Channel 9 in OKC, great coverage, but way too much "Oh no, you people in Ninnekah are in really big trouble!" or "Uh oh, I-44 has some serious problems, this is bad, really, really bad!" editorializing. Serious stuff, for sure, but we can do without the freak-outs.

115 mph gust blew a couple of semis off I-44, Channel 7 KSWO down here suggests a rain-wrapped EF-3.

Largest hail here near Indiahoma was quarter-sized, super noisy in a steel building, but reports and photos of grapefruit-sized by Meers. After 30 minutes the sun is out but the temperature and dew-point are almost the same (70.4 and 69.3 respectively).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top