U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 06:36 AM

6,093 posts, read 7,605,890 times

Advertisements

I drove across Oklahoma on I40 to Tulsa from the west then down to DFW area and all areas were green as Ive ever seen them No hint of dry desert Phoenix look. Does it even rain in Phx?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 12:10 PM

5,772 posts, read 5,628,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I drove across Oklahoma on I40 to Tulsa from the west then down to DFW area and all areas were green as Ive ever seen them No hint of dry desert Phoenix look. Does it even rain in Phx?
The malcontents are always arguing that our summers are "worse than the desert southwest". While we CAN have a summer as bad as Phoenix........see 2011 in general it is not near as hot for near as long as it is in Arizona. And in Oklahoma we generally get breaks from the heat most summers.

I will admit, getting an August this mild is about a once a decade thing.

Also, I spent eight years in Arizona. Summers are brutal every year.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:03 PM

9,189 posts, read 11,795,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The malcontents are always arguing that our summers are "worse than the desert southwest". While we CAN have a summer as bad as Phoenix........see 2011 in general it is not near as hot for near as long as it is in Arizona. And in Oklahoma we generally get breaks from the heat most summers.

Yes , until the monsoons come to give the much-needed relief.....

Old 08-25-2017, 07:44 PM

14,467 posts, read 16,873,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

I have gone to a few conventions, in the spring, in Arizona. One was absolutely the most memorable ever and puts other places to shame. It was the monsoon season. The events would run longer since it was pouring to much outside to leave. Everything was wet and soaked and it was miserable. Normally they happened on a nice spring Arizona day, which is plesant. Unfortunatly, they were using a hotel with seperate buildings instead of a big giant building where you could enjoy without dodging rain and mud.

And summer... been there then too. But I lived where it was frequently a hundred plus but it wasn't dry. Arizona doesn't have the humidity in the summer and it actually feels not as hot. Where I lived in hot inland socal it was much worse (not to mention the smog).

I'm getting where a hot day in Oklahoma, in the summer, with humidity, feels almost as miserably as a 111 degrees in socal except for the smog. If you can see the air, time for a move to where you can't atleast.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:10 AM

12,023 posts, read 16,716,592 times
Growing up with snow from September to May I love the heat and have no problem with the cold. Ok has a time for polar fleece, fire place, baked beans and corn bread and for tank tops, ice cold beer and wings. This summer temperatures seemed rather mellow and had an unexpected amount of rain.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:34 AM

14,467 posts, read 16,873,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Growing up with snow from September to May I love the heat and have no problem with the cold. Ok has a time for polar fleece, fire place, baked beans and corn bread and for tank tops, ice cold beer and wings. This summer temperatures seemed rather mellow and had an unexpected amount of rain.
I lived in the inland valleys in socal. It would slowly rev up to summer, and then it hit in the high 90's to over 100 through September. The smog wasn't as bad in the winter, but the air turned grey and in the worse areas, you could sort of feel it, and a lot of people had breathing problems. None of that here, thank the gods. It also got colder in the winter than the beachside areas. So we had a big supply of summer clothes and some good coats and warm sweaters too.

Except for the dampness, I find the temps and the sorts of summer weather her not too different than the valley areas there. No tornados there thought. But they have smog and OK is fairly free of it. I was one of the kids who grew up when the smog was the worse ever in a sustained way, and many of us have less deep breathing ability, so there's plusses and minuses of everything. My first trip here, I couldn't believe the color of the deep clear blue skies. And I could breath. At home the air was grey, it being the worse smog season (worse smog in the nation there). Being able to breath, weather aside, was one reason I was ready to come. But the variety of weather does remind me of some parts of California, but a lot cheaper.

I have gotten where I do enjoy the seasons, and somehow appreciate the good stuff. I even like when in winter its cold and most people are staying home and its gets this really laidback feeling. I do know I'd not be a happy camper in an area where the snow took until spring had started to melt. When we get snow here, I just hunker down and turn up the heat and keep a larger than normal supply of groceries.

But the variety of defined weather is one thing I overall like about OK. Makes you appreciate the goods and bads of all of them.

Old 08-27-2017, 12:22 PM

5,772 posts, read 5,628,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Yes , until the monsoons come to give the much-needed relief.....

The monsoons really don't give that much relief. It is a bit cooler for a couple hours after the storms but it kicks the humidity up enough to where swamp coolers don't work anymore.

Furthermore, the radiant heat of the sun is significantly higher in Arizona than it is in Oklahoma.

Bottom line is that these jokers who "claim" that Oklahoma's summers are as bad as the desert southwest are simply wrong. Maybe one or two a decade come close, but Oklahoma summers are shorter and generally have a few breaks from the heat that the desert Southwest simply doesn't have.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:43 AM

14,941 posts, read 6,848,012 times
The weather here should never cease to amaze if not amuse most everyone. 69 degrees at 8:58, the front was plainly visible as it hit at that time (and very much felt as our wind sock did an abrupt 180), and at 9:18 it's a pleasant 40 degrees. Who needs to travel, we went from Mobile to Minneapolis in 20 minutes; Six Flags has nothing on this place. Will Rogers was right.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:18 AM

12,023 posts, read 16,716,592 times
It was pretty interesting here - thunderstorms then ice. Windows are completely coated on the North side.

Old Today, 06:14 PM

14,941 posts, read 6,848,012 times
62 mph gust blew an 18-wheeler over on OK 36, getting lots of ice pellets but the worst looks south of the Red River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma