Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:58 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkman75229 View Post
LOL...what are you talking about? I am glad you left Texas, but I like Oklahoma so I don't wish you on them either.
Having lived in DFW for over ten years, I kinda know what Jess is getting at.

Quite honestly, I think it is more the national media/Hollywood that plays up the exaggerated "We're TEXAS Dadgummit!" pride. It also has been an excellent money-making marketing campaign employed by Texas officials to lure in tourists.

Some morons and a few native Texans actually buy into that stuff, but not the majority. A few idiots (+ the media, etc. make Texas into a caricature) reflect poorly on the Lone Star State....of course, that could be said of any state. Texas just seems to have more of these exaggerated pride morons, but again, it may just be the media playing the caricature up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 10:08 AM

177 posts, read 266,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
There really were some similarities at one time, at least north of San Antone.

But, that was the old Texas. Modern Texas is nothing like the old one and the similarities between here and Oklahoma grow less and less with each passing year. While Oklahoma culture has remained pretty much static over the years, Texas has undergone a cultural revolution from the massive influx of Yankee's, left-coast screwballs and true Mexican's.

Oklahoma is still recognizable as Oklahoma. Texas isn't Texas any more.
I highly disagree with that statement

Old 02-20-2012, 11:12 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han$ome Texan View Post
You seem to just copy/paste this respone over and over. Do you want to enlighten the rest of us why/what you're basing your opinion on?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:58 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
So far as north of San Antonio, my good friend in Ft. Worth tells me the demographics are very close to being more of non-citizens than otherwise.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:17 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
So far as north of San Antonio, my good friend in Ft. Worth tells me the demographics are very close to being more of non-citizens than otherwise.
Check Dallas County demographics.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:09 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
I lived in Panhandle area of Texas and enjoyed it immensely. Except for my wages, of course. Everyone was friendly and no one said anything bad about Oklahoma or made a big deal out of my being from Oklahoma. Of course, being in a small college town made the most difference. The rents were high due to WTXA&M, but other than that I think the similarities won out.

I left with a positive perspective on Texas. I thought it was great that west Texas had such a low humidity rate, so the weather was very nice compared to Oklahoma summers.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:01 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han$ome Texan View Post
You can disagree all you want. But he is right. Whatever Texas was in 1960 is vastly differentthan the Texas of today.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Having lived in DFW for over ten years, I kinda know what Jess is getting at.

Quite honestly, I think it is more the national media/Hollywood that plays up the exaggerated "We're TEXAS Dadgummit!" pride. It also has been an excellent money-making marketing campaign employed by Texas officials to lure in tourists.

Some morons and a few native Texans actually buy into that stuff, but not the majority. A few idiots (+ the media, etc. make Texas into a caricature) reflect poorly on the Lone Star State....of course, that could be said of any state. Texas just seems to have more of these exaggerated pride morons, but again, it may just be the media playing the caricature up.
you dont see longhorns in every where in oklahoma like texas. texas is more southern. texas to this day has its very own laws. i can go on but hopefully you catch my drift.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You can disagree all you want. But he is right. Whatever Texas was in 1960 is vastly differentthan the Texas of today.
read my other reply on top of this one

Old 02-26-2012, 08:16 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
As already stated, there is a similar thread in the Texas Forum to which I answered. There was a surprising number of people who acted as if they share nothing in common, as if the thought of being associated with Oklahoma was repulsive to them.

I won't sum up everything I said, but they share a similar culture as being in the South Central part of the US. Yes, TX is larger, and more influenced by a larger influx of immigrants from Mexico and lately, native migrants from other parts of the US; OK is more Native American, with a small amount of Midwestern influence.

However, if you put a native Texan and Oklahoman together (the keyword is native) and took them to NYC or LA, most people there would not be able to tell the difference.

Agreed.

BTW, Bass&Catfish, when did you move to OKC? I thought you stayed south of the mighty Red?
I tend to agree with the folks in Texas to an extent. It's not that Texans have little in common with Oklahomans altogether. Its how heavily urbanized and different certain Texas cities have gotten. OKC has much in common with Fort Worth. It has little in common with Dallas. There is nothing like a Dallas or Houston in Oklahoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma