U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 10-15-2007, 11:48 AM

11,886 posts, read 23,587,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Synopsis, thanks for the tip about the restaurant. We will be sure to go there. I can tell it is a good place by the pickups parked in front. The recipe for chicken fried steak looks good. I think I never use enough fat and don't get it hot enough. I will try this in the future but I think I will cook it outside on the propane stove. Right now we are trying to be on a low fat diet, but the temptations!

Jessaka, I only had 1 pound of ground beef and didn't feel like going to the store so I made half the recipe for the meatloaf. I think there was enough left over for one sandwich, and he ate that. The meat I used was longhorn, which is very lean. I will have to find another way to get longhorn meat. That was my last package.

I did get the pan, but I have not used it yet. After we have eaten healthy a few days, I think I will cook some rib-eyes. Your second recipe for green tomatoes with the cottage cheese looks really good. I will have to try that.

mkfarnam, here is how I cook corn beef hash from a can. I heard about this on the Waltons.

Eggs on Hash

Grease well a cast iron frying pan. Spread the corn beef hash on the pan. Season with salt, pepper, maybe some hot sauce. Then with a big spoon press little bowls in the hash for the eggs. Crack the eggs into the little bowls. Cook on medium high heat until the hash is getting a little brown on the edges. Cover the pan to get the eggs done the way you want them.
I'll have to use that cornbeef hash recipe peggy. It sounds really good. I love eggs. BTW, have eggs gotten as expensive up in Ok as they are here in Texas? $2 for a dozen eggs seems higher than it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-15-2007, 11:50 AM

4,079 posts, read 9,362,362 times
Did you season your frying pan Peggy?

Unread 10-17-2007, 11:18 AM

7,075 posts, read 8,836,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
The meat I used was longhorn, which is very lean. I will have to find another way to get longhorn meat. That was my last package.
Check some of the local butchers/packing houses. They know who is producing what in their neighborhood. In addition to longhorn, look for a Dexter producer. I found Dexter to be a great flavored beef, but we raise them on grass only, no general medication or steroids etc, same with our hogs and chickens. And the grass finish is part of what gives it that stronger flavor. Grain (corn) finish adds a lot of fat and marbling and tends to make for a more tender cut, but I still prefer using a lot less corn and more varietal grasses. I would offer you some Dexter, but the only ones we had that were butcher age are gone, and we only have calves and heifers now, and our bull, of course. We do have some hogs we need to sell, though.

Unread 10-22-2007, 09:22 AM

75 posts, read 179,787 times
I've gained 10 pounds just reading this thread! LOL!

Unread 10-22-2007, 10:46 AM

13,387 posts, read 8,977,046 times
How do you choose the best Thanksgiving turkey?
Do you interview em'?

Unread 10-22-2007, 12:00 PM

3,160 posts, read 6,910,905 times
Jessaka, yes I seasoned all of my frying pans the other day. It was a little smokey but they look better. Today I am fixing pork chops in my new grill pan.

Goodpasture, that sounds so interesting to be raising Dexter cattle. How many cows do you have? I read about them and they sound good. We used to have cattle, but selling the calves bothers me so I wouldn't want to get back into it. Not to mention all the work. Sounds like you enjoy it though. Once I bought part of a grass fed cow, and that was some good hamburger. I think people don't realize how much better meat used to taste.

We bought a FFA hog from some kids we know, and it is good. A better flavor and texture than store pork. Not as much fat, those pigs get a lot of exercise.

Mkfarnam, very funny.

Pears are ripe now. I fixed some baked pears the other day. I had a bottle of wine I bought at Sorghum Days a couple of years ago and decided to use it up since I was never going to drink it.

2 cups wine, or apple juice
1 cup sugar
5 or six pears, the firm kind

Cut blossom end of pears so pears will stand up. Put the pears whole in a baking dish with blossom ends down. Combine the wine and sugar and pour over pears. Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours, basting several times. Let cool and serve with the wine/sugar syrup.

Unread 10-22-2007, 07:40 PM

23,934 posts, read 10,335,856 times
Default Wooooo-weeee! Ya'lls got some goooood cookin goin on, aint ya!

But, dang it all, its time to set aside them snooty recipes and leave them for the folks that eat with one pinkie in the air.

Gather round, now. I'm gonna show you what's what, now, ya hear!

This is some okie grub, rightchea. Go ahead, son, take a bite, don't be shy.

Ya'll leave room for dee-sert? Hoowee, boy, I am fuller 'n a tick on a hound dog's ear!

Unread 10-22-2007, 07:54 PM

13,387 posts, read 8,977,046 times
that looks like it could be call an Okie Omlete

Unread 10-23-2007, 03:58 AM

4,079 posts, read 9,362,362 times
No, MK, he actually looks like a tick on hound dog's ear.

Actually, that food looks good redbird.

Unread 10-23-2007, 05:01 AM

23,934 posts, read 10,335,856 times
I hear tell he loves moderator babes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma