Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 08:57 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times

Advertisements

Like most good recipes, you need to adjust according to your tastes.......I like a pretty good bite with corn and squash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 09:25 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,973,903 times
I was born in Bartlesville in 1960 and mom and dad worked for Phillips Petroleum (now Conoco/Phillips). I remember as a child going to Woolaroc Ranch, the Research Center with my dad (pre-OSHA days) and the Phillips Building downtown for a tour of how gasoline was manufactured.

I am a OSU graduate and have lived in South Texas for over 25 years. My dad was so mad when I took a public safety job with a fire department rather that working for PPCO in Ponca City.

These Oklahoma women are making me salivate. All I am doing is cutting and pasting your receipes. Beautiful women who can cook... I love you all.

I think I need to consider moving back to "green country" for retirement in the next 15 years. The weather and the food - a man must die of something. Might as well involve gravy, an occasional ice storm and blowing wind. Oh and Braum's. We may have Blue Bell but a Braum's cheeseburger - yowie!

Old 10-14-2007, 04:54 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Okay, I wasn't hungry until I began reading one of your recipes. Will be back after breakfast.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:19 AM

When I first moved here someone told me that the only good food in Tahlequah was eating at other people's homes or at church potlucks. Now I have been to a few great potlucks, but I have also found some pretty good restaurants here.

This Corn Casserole recipe came from a recent potluck. It was really delicious and less fattening than the one I posted before:

Corn Casserole

2 eggs, beaten
1 stick butter, melted
1 can whole corn, undrained
1 can cream of corn
1 box Jiffy Cornbread mix

Mix all ingredients together. Place in a 12x8 inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. (This depends upon your pan size too.)

I went back for seconds for this.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:23 AM

I have never tried these recipes for Thanksgiving or for anytime, but they sure look good:

BAKED ACORN SQUASH WITH PEAR AND APPLE

2 acorn squash, halved, seeded
1/4 t. cinnamon
2 apples, chopped
1/8 t. nutmeg
1 pear, chopped
2 T. unsalted butter
1/4 c. raisins or currants
1/4 c. apple cider or orange juice
2 T. dark brown sugar
1 T. bourbon or dark rum
Zest of one orange

Place squash; cut side down, in a buttered pan with 1/4 inch of hot water. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, mix apples, pear, currants, brown sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Heat butter in a frying pan. Add apple mixture; cook until fruit is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in cider and rum. Simmer, stirring often, until fruit is tender, about 8 minutes. Remove squash; pour off water. Place squash cut side up. Fill with apple mixture. Bake 15 minutes more.

THANKSGIVING STUFFED ACORN SQUASH

4 small acorn squash

STUFFING

1/2 c. currants
1 apple, chopped
1 c. warm vegetable stock
1 1/4 c. breadcrumbs
1 1/2 T. oil
1 t. lemon zest
2 onions, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
4 stalks celery, chopped
5 T. fresh chopped parsley, basil, thyme,and/or dried sage
2 cloves garlic, minced

Cut squash in half. Cut 1/4 inch off bottom so that squash doesn’t wobble. Scoop out seeds. Place cut side on a baking sheet. Add 1/2 inch of water. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes; cool. In the meantime, place currants in vegetable stock for 10 minutes to make plump. Heat oil in a pan; cook onion, celery, and garlic until soft but not brown. Add apples; cook until apple has lost its rawness, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add breadcrumbs, herbs, zest, currants with stock, salt, and pepper. Add more stock if needed. Spoon stuffing into baked squash. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.

MUSHROOM-TOFU- PECAN STUFFED SQUASH

3 or 4 winter squash, halves, seeded
4 c. chopped mushroom (l lb.)
1 firm cake tofu, cubed
1/2 c. vegetable stock
3 T. Tamari soy sauce
1/4 t. dried thyme
3 T. dry sherry
1/2 t. dried marjoram
4 c. breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
3 c. chopped onions
1 c. toasted, chopped pecans
2 T. oil
1 T. lemon juice

Place squash halves, cut side down, in an oiled baking pan. Add about 1/2 inch of water. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Meanwhile, marinade tofu in soy sauce and sherry. Toast breadcrumbs (unless using dried crumbs) for 5 minutes on a baking sheet. Sauté onions and celery in oil. When onions are translucent, add mushrooms, stock, and herbs. Cook covered for 10 minutes, then add tofu with marinade and breadcrumbs. Sauté for another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat; stir in nuts and lemon juice. Mound filling in squash halves. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:15 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
One of my favorite wintertime dishes is a sheperds pie variation I came up with a few years ago.........

Now remember, I use our own sausage and hamburger so it is all extra lean. Whe we do sausage for brakfast we have to add grease to the skillet because the patties don't generate enough of their own. So get an extra lean ground beef and a farmers sausage from the butcher counter.....or buy ground pork and make your own.

Take a couple opounds of lean ground beef and a pound of lean sausage, and blend. spread in a baking dish......I frequently use a square or rectangular cake pan although I have used loaf pans before. Put two cans of drained corn on top, and a can of creamed corn and spread it evenly over the meat. Sprinkle a bit of chopped jalapeno or serrano peppers over the corn (to your taste). Cover with a mixture of mashed potatoes, roasted garlic (I do a whole clove in the toaster oven), and grated sharp cheddar cheese, and salt to taste (make some extra.....just for tasting and for making fried potato cakes for breakfast or lunch the next day). Cover and bake for an hour or so in a medium hot oven (depends on how thick the meat layer is). The last 10 minutes, I like to sprinkle extra cheese and jalapenos on the top and brown a bit.

PS: car957.............not all the cooks are women

Old 10-14-2007, 09:38 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Default Pumpkin Pecan Bread

2/3 cup of Shortening
2 2/3 cup of Sugar
4 Eggs
1 ea. 2 lb. can pumpkin
3 1/3 cup of flour
2 tsp. soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cloves
2/3 cup of chopped pecans
2/3 cup of raisons

Cream shortening and sugar in a bowl.
Stir in eggs, pumpkin and 2/3 cup of water.
Add combined dry ingredients and mix well.
Stir in pecans and raisins.
Pour into 2 greased loaf pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for one hour and ten minutes.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Corn-Stuffed Pork Chops

This one is great. I haven't done it in awhile, but it is DELICIOUS.

4 pork loin rib chops, cut 1 1/4 inches thick (about 2 pounds)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 tablespoon margarine or butter
3/4 cup corn-bread stuffing mix or herb seasoned stuffing mix
1/2 cup cooked whole kernel corn
2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Trim fat from chops
Cut a pocket in each chop by cutting from the fat side almost to the bone.
For stuffing, in a small saucepan cook onion and green pepper in margarine until tender but not brown.
Stir in stuffing mix, corn, pimiento, salt, pepper, and cumin.
Spoon one-fourth of the stuffing into each pork chop.
Secure pockets with wooden toothpicks.
Place the stuffed chops on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 40 to 50 minutes or until no pink remains.
Remove the wooden toothpicks and enjoy!

Old 10-14-2007, 11:09 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
No recipes for chicken fried steak yet? I have never been able to get that one right.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:15 PM

Here's one I got off the Internet peggy. I've never tried to make chicken fried steak. BTW, if you are ever in Fort Worth and get the desire for one of THE BEST chicken fried steaks that you'll ever sink your teeth into, go to Massey's. The chicken fried steaks will rock your world..

Massey's is at:

1805 Eighth Avenue
817- 924-8242

Chicken Fried Steak

(4 servings)

* 4 cube steak cutlets
* 1 egg
* 1/4 cup milk
* 1 and 1/2 (approx.) all-purpose flour
* 1/3 cup (approx.) cooking oil
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon paprika

In a small bowl, beat the egg and milk together. Set aside.

In a little cup, shake all the spices together. Sprinkle on both sides of the cutlets.

Lay flour out on a large plate or cutting board. Drag the cutlets through the flour so that both sides are completely covered. Dip each cutlet into the egg/milk mixture and then drag once more through the flour. Set cutlets aside.

Add cooking oil to a large, heavy skillet - oil should be about 1/2 inch deep. Heat skillet to medium-high heat. When a drop of water sprinkled into skillet "pops", you're ready to cook.

With tongs or a long fork, Carefully place each cutlet into the hot oil. Fry cutlets on both sides, turning once, until golden brown. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 4 or 5 minutes until cutlets are done through. Drain cutlets on paper towels.

Here's a tip for some gravy:
Save 2 Tablespoons of the oil when you're finished. Add about 3 Tablespoons of flour and a 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Heat over medium heat and gradually add 1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of water. Add dashes of pepper to taste. Makes a good thick gravy.

Last edited by Synopsis; 10-14-2007 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma