U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:35 AM

6,150 posts, read 11,701,569 times

Advertisements

BTW, Seebee, I was a C/O also here in OK. I left a private prison because of the good ol boy network and went to work for the state prison system. Nothing worse than dirty staff.[/quote]

Hey Redbird,

Thats what I use to work at, a private prison "a alcohol and drug rehab center." Most of the C/O's that I worked with were a bunch of "Barnies" and they were as you put it "Dirty Staff."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 10:16 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,160,489 times
Ah, where to start?
First let me state Im a retired cop with 25 years experience and from a mid sized inner city department. Second, a retired chief.
The training aspect required by this state are minimal and the academy trains the new rookies that ALL citizens are try8ing to kill them. This attitude of "us against them" begins there and is constantly reinforced .
Second it is so difficult to get rid of a bad cop in this state because of the pro union sentiment at the elected level.
Surprised to find out that cops got unions.
Cities and Departments that try to get rid of bad cops, and yes there are many bad cops, get sued, get their actions over turned by out of state arbitrators, get sued, get their decisions over turned by judges, get sued, have the laws changed at the state level to better protect the bad cops, get sued..........Sigh............I as a citizen don't want a bad cop out there any more than you do. Its an embarrassment. And its a threat.
After I retired from my department, I was threatened physically by some of those bad types. My response was simple as I'm not a coward. Just tell me when , where , we can settle it. But I realize you citizens cant and don't have that luxury.
Your right in your observation that some cops (SOME) are bullies. It takes time but they can be weeded out. Just remember this, the next time you receive a phone call from any type of police organization asking for donations, most of that money goes into a union war chest to fight cities trying to do the right thing against bad cops. Dont feed the beast.
If you want to give money to your local police department do that through your local elected officials with fund drives for that PD not that union. There is a difference

If you have questions, feel free to ask them. I will come back to answer.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,846 times
This is concerning Oklahoma county, but was the closest matching thread. I was almost hit by police in a high speed pursuit. I was driving my scooter home, North on Classen. I had just finished a photoshoot for some clients. Well, I continue after pursuit passes. About a mile up the road I run into an accident scene. The driver of suv leading police chase hit another vehicle and crashed. Traffic was stopped, so I pulled into grass and stopped also. I had my camera so I shot a few photos of the madness. As I was leaving the several OHP/Sheriff's Officers approached me. They demanded I delete the pictures. I said no...on public property, my rights, etc. This made no difference. They got angrier and I could tell they were going to snatch my gear. I quickly locked it in my scooter storage bin under the seat. At this point my helmet was knocked off and I was cuffed...not in a nice, law abiding citizen kind of way. I was stuffed in the car. They took my keys, opened scooter storage, and took out my camera. I watched, with some amusement, as the officers unsuccessfully tried to delete photos. I mean digital cameras are brand new and most people cannot operate them (sic). After maybe an hour, an OCPD officer got in the vehicle. He wanted my info, name, etc. I gave it to him. He then said how many times you been arrested? (Note the improper use of grammar) I said I have never been arrested. I have not had a ticket in 15 years or so. I asked if he could loosen the cuffs as they were extremely tight...cutting off my circulation. He told me...shut your mouth and we might let you go. After another wait, I was let out of the car and an officer handed me the camera. He said delete the pics or go to jail. This time, to sweeten the deal, I was told my camera would be taken and kept as evidence for an indefinate amount of time. I finally caved in, mainly due to thirst! I had just finished a 3 hour photoshoot in 95 deg heat. They told me how lucky I was...that they have to roll that way to keep people under control, etc. As soon as I turned around the news crew was waiting as they had been watching this event. I gave an interview, they videotaped my wrists and the camera. I have filed complaints with every agency. I have been contacted by email. Email was generated in the public relations office. They said a super would call me. I do not expect anyone to call.

Should I get an attorney? They did violate my rights. Even with the loose laws regarding search and seizure when pertaining to a vehicle they crossed the line. They also had no right to confiscate my camera. I was on public property. The photos belong to me...not the officers. Any help will be much appreciated.

Side Note:
I fear the law, more than I fear criminals. Most officers are corrupt. I grew up in NE Oklahoma where it was common to plant drugs in kid's cars. My friend, Guy, was shot and killed by a sheriff...no charges, no investigation. I have no faith in an officer's ability to handle a volatile, or any other situation. I have never broken the law, minus a speeding ticket years ago.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:46 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,497,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmtnbiker View Post
This is concerning Oklahoma county, but was the closest matching thread. I was almost hit by police in a high speed pursuit. I was driving my scooter home, North on Classen. I had just finished a photoshoot for some clients. Well, I continue after pursuit passes. About a mile up the road I run into an accident scene. The driver of suv leading police chase hit another vehicle and crashed. Traffic was stopped, so I pulled into grass and stopped also. I had my camera so I shot a few photos of the madness. As I was leaving the several OHP/Sheriff's Officers approached me. They demanded I delete the pictures. I said no...on public property, my rights, etc. This made no difference. They got angrier and I could tell they were going to snatch my gear. I quickly locked it in my scooter storage bin under the seat. At this point my helmet was knocked off and I was cuffed...not in a nice, law abiding citizen kind of way. I was stuffed in the car. They took my keys, opened scooter storage, and took out my camera. I watched, with some amusement, as the officers unsuccessfully tried to delete photos. I mean digital cameras are brand new and most people cannot operate them (sic). After maybe an hour, an OCPD officer got in the vehicle. He wanted my info, name, etc. I gave it to him. He then said how many times you been arrested? (Note the improper use of grammar) I said I have never been arrested. I have not had a ticket in 15 years or so. I asked if he could loosen the cuffs as they were extremely tight...cutting off my circulation. He told me...shut your mouth and we might let you go. After another wait, I was let out of the car and an officer handed me the camera. He said delete the pics or go to jail. This time, to sweeten the deal, I was told my camera would be taken and kept as evidence for an indefinate amount of time. I finally caved in, mainly due to thirst! I had just finished a 3 hour photoshoot in 95 deg heat. They told me how lucky I was...that they have to roll that way to keep people under control, etc. As soon as I turned around the news crew was waiting as they had been watching this event. I gave an interview, they videotaped my wrists and the camera. I have filed complaints with every agency. I have been contacted by email. Email was generated in the public relations office. They said a super would call me. I do not expect anyone to call.

Should I get an attorney? They did violate my rights. Even with the loose laws regarding search and seizure when pertaining to a vehicle they crossed the line. They also had no right to confiscate my camera. I was on public property. The photos belong to me...not the officers. Any help will be much appreciated.

Side Note:
I fear the law, more than I fear criminals. Most officers are corrupt. I grew up in NE Oklahoma where it was common to plant drugs in kid's cars. My friend, Guy, was shot and killed by a sheriff...no charges, no investigation. I have no faith in an officer's ability to handle a volatile, or any other situation. I have never broken the law, minus a speeding ticket years ago.
Wow, that must have been scarey. Im supprised they didnt shake you down for some money.

I know they all stick up for eachother. The Garvin County Undersheriff said he would take care of the situation. Hes a just a lying piece of crap. He remembers the days fondley when he got to torment civilians. I hope he reads this and has the balls to respond to it.

I think your story deserves to be on CNN/FOX/MSNBC I really do. If your make it happen, Ill be happy to support it with my situation.

I refuse to set foot in that state. I don't want 1 of my dollars going to support state government/county or city.

You know, its funny you should mention it but I also noticed how uneducatied those Galvin CO cops communicated. I thought I was in an episode of Dukes of Hazzard.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,428,515 times
Quote:
As soon as I turned around the news crew was waiting as they had been watching this event. I gave an interview, they videotaped my wrists and the camera. ...
What channel's news-crew was this?

Old 07-02-2008, 03:20 PM

26,178 posts, read 17,400,795 times
How come they feared was was caught on the camera?

Old 07-02-2008, 03:41 PM

55 posts, read 138,980 times
Default Jackasses Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Yes I35 is a drug Corridor. No doubt about it. But I want to warn you folks, these cops weren't just "doing there job", they were violating the Constitution, and they were having quite a good time at it. They were laughing at my expense, searching my car with out a warrant, or cause. They were threatening me, trying to get me to confess. Told me if I would be stright with them, they would let me go, as if this would work in any situation, guilty or not. As mentioned they claimed they found traces of cocaine that turned out to be smeared deodorant. They drilled me about the two cans of Red bull in my car. What the heck is illegal about redbull.....The under sheriff told me on the phone a couple of days ago that energy drinks in a car set off a suspicion that the driver might be a drug runner. Well I'm here to tell the Sheriffs office of Garvin that energy drinks are also used by people who are trying to stay alert late at night. I had a 15 hour drive. Oh they were having a great time. Its my opinion that these guys were the bullies in the yard at grade school. They were enjoying the thrill of the kill, and like my cat with a rodent, sometimes he just likes to toy with the prey before he kills it. I have been stopped by police before for speeding, and generally I would say that they have been very professional and courteous. The ticket sucks, but I have always been guilty of what ever they have written the ticket for. These Garvin County thugs were unorganized, unprofessional, and corrupt.

Let me just say, as someone who has grown up in the country in Oklahoma, a lot of county cops and especially small town cops are complete *******s. Sorry for cussing but if it acts like a duck and quacks like a duck....
Just like you said, they take advantage of their job in the worst ways. I've seen it over and over. And, the bad thing is that once they've got you there's not much you can do about it at the time. I 100% agree with your decision to contact a lawyer. If you have the means to do it I would sue them for everything they've got and then some.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for such ridiculous behavior. They're supposed to be protecting us from the bad guys and crazies but WHO WILL PROTECT US FROM THEM ?
I hope some of you county and town cops read some of this. YOU HAVE NO RIGHT to harass innocent people for absolutely no reason, while meanwhile some other jackass is raping or killing somebody.

I can understand an officer making an innocent mistake. And, if they were any kind of decent human being, they would apologize, a lot, for making the error. But, they NEVER do. You never ever hear one of them say they are sorry and that they made a mistake....ever. If they would just do that maybe we wouldn't get so upset when it happens. But, as you well know, they didn't even help you pick up your stuff after they couldn't find any REAL evidence and even laughed as they were doing it.

I'm not even sure if the lawyer is enough. Maybe our congressman or somebody like that should be contacted. This kind of thing has to stop.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:19 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,497,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieWolf View Post
Let me just say, as someone who has grown up in the country in Oklahoma, a lot of county cops and especially small town cops are complete *******s. Sorry for cussing but if it acts like a duck and quacks like a duck....
Just like you said, they take advantage of their job in the worst ways. I've seen it over and over. And, the bad thing is that once they've got you there's not much you can do about it at the time. I 100% agree with your decision to contact a lawyer. If you have the means to do it I would sue them for everything they've got and then some.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for such ridiculous behavior. They're supposed to be protecting us from the bad guys and crazies but WHO WILL PROTECT US FROM THEM ?
I hope some of you county and town cops read some of this. YOU HAVE NO RIGHT to harass innocent people for absolutely no reason, while meanwhile some other jackass is raping or killing somebody.

I can understand an officer making an innocent mistake. And, if they were any kind of decent human being, they would apologize, a lot, for making the error. But, they NEVER do. You never ever hear one of them say they are sorry and that they made a mistake....ever. If they would just do that maybe we wouldn't get so upset when it happens. But, as you well know, they didn't even help you pick up your stuff after they couldn't find any REAL evidence and even laughed as they were doing it.

I'm not even sure if the lawyer is enough. Maybe our congressman or somebody like that should be contacted. This kind of thing has to stop.
Congress, are you kidding, at the time, they were all too busy running for president. I wrote to your state congress, and heard nothing. I received no satisfaction from anybody, anywhere in your state. Its been 9 months and I still feel ticked off, but nobody in power is interested in making waves.

Hey SHERIFF OF GAVIN are you a coward???? Why do you dodge me. I want answers.
I hope the poster with the pics gets a nice large payout for his injustice.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:07 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,322,681 times
Quote:

Side Note:
Hey, I just heard a story pretty similar to this on the Channel 9 news. Was that you?

Old 07-04-2008, 05:32 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,428,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Hey, I just heard a story pretty similar to this on the Channel 9 news. Was that you?
Sounds like it. : http://www.kwtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8619179 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma