Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:56 PM

80 posts, read 151,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I had a horrible experience on hwy 35 about 30 miles south of Purcell. I was driving North, obeying all the laws, when some redneck deputy pulled me over for a tail light out. Next thing you know it, 3 or 4 other deputies pulled up and were flashing there lights. OMG what in the world are they doing? Next thing you know it, I was told that I was to be searched. (No warrant), and just like the gastopo, they started going thru my stuff. They would not let me view what they were doing. I was sure they were going to plant something. They said based on my eyes, they would search my car for Narcotics. They then brought a dog to search my vehical. The dog found nothing, but the cop made it sound like the dog did. I used to handle drug dogs in the Navy, so I know when a dog has found something. The dog had NO INTEREST in my car at all. Next thing you know they were crawling all over my front seat, once again with out my permission. The older ulgy deputy said they found white powder on my seat. They asked me to explain it, I thought it might have food or somthing. The deputy then pulled out a test of somekind (I never was allowed to see what the heck they were doing) Bingo, as you guessed it, the cop said it tested positive for Cocaine (big suprise). They tried to bully me into a confession. When I denied it they told me that they were going to take to to jail unless I was straight with them, and that if I just admitted it, they would let me go. Finally after 40 or so minutes, I was left to gather my stuff, which they had all over the road. I was finally allowed to leave. They made nasty comments about how I got lucky tonight. I said, I don't know how this could be lucky, the only mistake I made was driving thru your county. The dumb jerk said "Welcome to Oklahoma". and laughed. Some of my stuff was missing. When I got home I had a neighbor who worked for the sheriff test the white poweder and it was not cocaine. Turns out, it was residue for a stick of deorderant. I am now in touch with a lawyer for damages. I called the Undersherif and he told me he would investigate. Who knows what that will yeild. I would like to know if anybody has had the same experiences.

If you had been driving in Pottawatomie County, I wouldn't have been as surprised. Guess Garvin County is just as bad. This post is a little late, but if you ever drive through Pott County, drive at least 10 miles under the speed limit going through Asher. There is nothing there but a few houses and a couple of convenience stores and plenty of "outlaws." ..........especially if you're out of state. If you realize that you're approaching Asher, which completely caught me off guard one time, slow way down before you reach the signs, because they will stop you anyway and claim you were going way too fast BEFORE THE SIGNS. The one time I got stopped there in the 40 years I have been driving through there, the cop was a total jerk, gave me a lecture, and said when he was finished with the lecture, he wanted to talk to me about something else. HE WANTED TO KNOW THE ODDS IN VEGAS!!!!!! I tried to be halfway decent as I explained I knew nothing about gambling in Vegas.....only that it existed, and that it was legal. What an idiot!!!!! He kept me there 45 minutes talking about Vegas while I was trying to get to my sick mom's house in Ada. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 09:39 PM

355 posts, read 818,194 times
I wonder if these small town cops are CLEET certed?

Old 12-10-2010, 12:29 AM

471 posts, read 825,144 times
They have to be within a year of being hired.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:56 AM

I know alot of departments don't follow that guideline.....

Old 12-10-2010, 12:47 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Several lawmen have posted. How about some insight of what to do when getting rousted by these rogue cops.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:31 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You gave very, very bad advice? Why? I know as first hand as you can get. One time when county cops stopped me on I-35 for speeding at 74 mph, I refused their request to search my car. They seemed to take it it that I had drugs in my car. They subjected me to a sobriety test, arrested me for DUI, even though I hadn't had a drop to drink that day and proceeded to search my car. They found nothing, other than what they claimed was a marijuana seed. How it got there, I don't know. So they took me to the Guthrie hospital to draw my blood for testing. And from there, to the rat infested Logan County Jail in Guthrie. The whole ordeal to get all charges, including DUI, dismissed against me, along with the car toll charge, costed close to $1000. My blood test turned up nothing against me.

I learned my lesson well. So a couple years later when I found myself in a similar situation on the highway, I submitted to the cop's request to search my car. He also gave me a sobriety test, which I passed to his satisfaction. And then he let me be free to continue on my way.

I might as well add that it's a good idea not to keep any incriminating evidence in your car, like drugs and pipes.
I don't think I gave bad advice at all. You have rights and authority to execute said rights. I'm majoring in political science/pre-law and if that really happened and is the whole story, you should have fought it in court and not just had the charges "dismissed." You got to pay $1,000 donation to the local jail and no records to show the incident ever happened. Does that seem fair? So yes, if you opt out of a search there is a chance you will be apprehended. It's the people, like yourself, who get taken in that need to stand up for yourselves so the corrupt dept. can't continue to take advantage of people.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:36 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I agree with StilWaterTownie, The same thing happened to me in California on a mountain road.
I was arrested on a DUI, given a sobriety test and taken in. When the reults from the blood test came back, all the paperwork disappeared.....
"I don't drink or do drugs"
But I still had to pay hundereds to get my El Camino out of impound.

proudvoterofObama..you can't sue law enforcement for searching your vehicle without a warrant.
Even if it was a mistake, they can say it was "probable cause" and the case is closed.
True, but you can sue for illegal arrest.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Several lawmen have posted. How about some insight of what to do when getting rousted by these rogue cops.
Well I will say this....I wasn't there and neither were any of us except for the OP. I am sure the OP was treated poorly, but again I wasn't there...maybe he/she copped an attitude? Maybe the officer was just being ******.

I will say that I entered every contact ( traffic stop ) with a smile. The person attitude towards me from the point of contact often dicatated the way I handled the violation. Most people are friendly and all but too nice to you....they don't want a ticket.

Those respectful nice people did NOT get cited most of the time unless it was a major violation.

Now if the contact wants to give me an attitude right from the start, then i will do likewise. What was going to be a simple " slow down, buckle up " stop is now likely going to become a multiple citation stop. The worst thing you can do to me on a stop is to start telling me you know your rights, you know the laws, etc. etc. I'm paid to KNOW and ENFORCE the law....
A classic that i heard often was when I would stop someone for loud exhaust, they'd tell me it wasn't illegal. "I bought it like that", "How come I can get it installed if it's illegal?" Just because they think they "know" they want to argue when in fact any modification to a vehicles exhaust that makes it louder than factory is illegal.

People always complain about LEO's. They are either lazy donut eaters who don't do a thing.....or they are speed trap, ticketing pricks. Alot of people complain about being stopped for low speeding violations, headlights, or other harmless violations. It's these contact stops that yield your warrants, DUI, druggies, non insurance folks. Alot of people like to complain about drunks, drugs, and other drivers....yet when it's them who gets stopped, the cops are aholes.

It's a lose/lose situation with some folks, but an LEO will still do his job which is to serve and protect you. Remember that that fat, lazy, ahole cop may just be the guy saving your life on the side of the highway, or helping save you from a home intruder SOME day.

There are jerks in every field of work. I've seen some officers who should have never been able to be a dispatcher, let alone an armed officer. Usually those guys get weeded out within a year or two due to an incident or two like the one described by the OP. My advice to you all that feel you have been treated unfairly, or rudely, is to contact the departments chief and voice your concerns. If it isn't solved from there, contact the DA in your county, or the city mayor.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
True, but you can sue for illegal arrest.
If it can be proven then yes you can.

But make sure you were UNDER arrest. An LEO can detain you in handcuffs while conducting a field investigation for his "safety".

Old 12-11-2010, 09:51 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawman_Kyle View Post
Well I will say this....I wasn't there and neither were any of us except for the OP. I am sure the OP was treated poorly, but again I wasn't there...maybe he/she copped an attitude? Maybe the officer was just being ******.

I will say that I entered every contact ( traffic stop ) with a smile. The person attitude towards me from the point of contact often dicatated the way I handled the violation. Most people are friendly and all but too nice to you....they don't want a ticket.

Those respectful nice people did NOT get cited most of the time unless it was a major violation.

Now if the contact wants to give me an attitude right from the start, then i will do likewise. What was going to be a simple " slow down, buckle up " stop is now likely going to become a multiple citation stop. The worst thing you can do to me on a stop is to start telling me you know your rights, you know the laws, etc. etc. I'm paid to KNOW and ENFORCE the law....
A classic that i heard often was when I would stop someone for loud exhaust, they'd tell me it wasn't illegal. "I bought it like that", "How come I can get it installed if it's illegal?" Just because they think they "know" they want to argue when
Quote:
in fact any modification to a vehicles exhaust that makes it louder than factory is illegal.
People always complain about LEO's. They are either lazy donut eaters who don't do a thing.....or they are speed trap, ticketing pricks. Alot of people complain about being stopped for low speeding violations, headlights, or other harmless violations. It's these contact stops that yield your warrants, DUI, druggies, non insurance folks. Alot of people like to complain about drunks, drugs, and other drivers....yet when it's them who gets stopped, the cops are aholes.

It's a lose/lose situation with some folks, but an LEO will still do his job which is to serve and protect you. Remember that that fat, lazy, ahole cop may just be the guy saving your life on the side of the highway, or helping save you from a home intruder SOME day.

There are jerks in every field of work. I've seen some officers who should have never been able to be a dispatcher, let alone an armed officer. Usually those guys get weeded out within a year or two due to an incident or two like the one described by the OP. My advice to you all that feel you have been treated unfairly, or rudely, is to contact the departments chief and voice your concerns. If it isn't solved from there, contact the DA in your county, or the city mayor.
Quote:
in fact any modification to a vehicles exhaust that makes it louder than factory is illegal.
What!? Now what am I going to do with the new staight pipes and glass packs I just bought for my truck??...

Well. we're in different parts of OK, so I might be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma