Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:08 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Ok has conservatives who are going to expect you to be as tolerant of their unwillingness to accept a gay couple as you expect their tolerance of your lifestyle. Live and let live means can you do the same as you expect? Ok is full of good people who have believes in things.... if you are open minded you can find great people and a great place to be in Ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
............. not because I think Oklahoma is a backward place.
Don't you dare try to make us less backwards..............it isn't that folks here are tolerant, it's just we don't give a damn. Unless you are hitting on me or my sister, I don't care who you sleep with.............

Old 08-09-2012, 11:11 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,283 times
I'm not sure exactly what it is you want to see in Oklahoma in particular, but if it's just the "Southern hospitality" I think you would get a more authentic experience in Atlanta and excursions from there like Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC. That's definitely more of the Deep South and has more of the gentry, legacy and tradition of the region. As far as cities, Atlanta would be a far more accepting city.

I would have to disagree with the "live and let live" comment, and I've noticed that people in numerous cities across the country use that term a little too loosely. I only say that because voters have made decisions on how to run other people's lives as they see fit, and a state constitutional ban on same-sex marriage was supported by more than 3/4 of the voters in Oklahoma. Really, how is that "live and let live?" If that philosophy were true, people wouldn't really care what people do in their personal lives. While in general I think at most you would get rude comments or blatant gawks (like the Broken Hill scene in Priscilla) I wouldn't think most people would act out violently. Also, if you can stick to corporate hotels you aren't likely to be turned away, but you can also check out this link: Human Rights Campaign

In there you can find the more GLBT friendly companies throughout the country.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:46 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Nah, I wouldn't go to Oklahoma. My advice would be to go to a rural Mississippi bar and start making out with each other while burning an American flag. Then scream at everyone to accept you and pour a beer on the biggest guy in there.

That is, if you're just looking to get a response from people.

No one is going to give a sh*t if you're gay or not, anywhere you go. No one is going to ask, no one is going to care. People have their own stuff going on, like trying to pay their bills and not lose their house or car, and don't have time for to argue some gay guy debate with a couple of total strangers. Hell, a couple of gay guys just came in my office the other day, in the most stereotypical "hillbilly" county in Arkansas. Guess what? No one even looked up from their desks or said a word about it after they left. Because usually the only people that make a big deal about that sort of thing are the preachers on Sunday morning. In the real world, it's not a big deal.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
True, but drunk bigots can be anywhere. For the record though, I really liked Stillwater and Oklahoma as a whole every time I've been there. I don't know why people bash it sometimes. The sunsets there are some of the best I've ever seen, and a lot of good tunes come out of Oklahoma.
We do that on purpose to keep people out.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I guess you've never gotten the stink-eye from a hotel clerk while checking in as a same-sex couple, then.
When that happens you need to file a complaint immediately with the corporate office. Because that is unacceptable.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:57 AM

702 posts, read 2,516,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
We are a gay couple, planning to visit Oklahoma next year along with several other places on a round the world trip.

Here in Wales, one occasionally experiences unpleasantness in relation to attitudes to sexual orientation when checking into accommodation.

We are unsure if this is something we need to think about on this leg of our trip. On the one hand, we understand that social attitudes may be a little more conservative there than what we're used to; on the other, there is the famous Southern hospitality, and the general customer service mentality is generally said to be much stronger across the US than in Wales.

If push came to shove, we're not sure whose rights would prevail - the business/property owner's right to accept or dismiss guests according to his personal deeply held beliefs, or ours as a physically active gay couple to make a free choice of accommodation.

As I mentioned, these are considerations one must make wherever one goes, so please take this in good humour!

My thanks in advance for all thoughts.
News flash, you won't be the first gay couple the fine people of this state have seen! If you are displaying your "affection" to one another in public expect ramifications to those type acts, but that's no different for any other couple if that was displayed in public. The worst comment you might receive is "get a room". We quit lynching here in Oklahoma last decade so no worries there.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I think people who bash Oklahoma are the same people who say negative about whatever subject is at hand. Just like the media mews. It's considered more interesting if there's a negative slant. Complain, complain, complain. I used to tell students if all they do is complain, they will grow up lopsided.
Yep. Complaining and Oklahoma just don't fit together well.

Us Okies are far too tough-minded and resilient to let negativity rule the day. Life is just TOO short for that crud.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:38 AM

35 posts, read 60,844 times
Default Ok

I live in Oklahoma and don't let this worry about us make you not come visit. We may be conservative but there is also a large part of us that have grown from that. I am promise you that if you come visit, you will be treated with so much love!

Old 08-10-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ougirl View Post
I live in Oklahoma and don't let this worry about us make you not come visit. We may be conservative but there is also a large part of us that have grown from that. I am promise you that if you come visit, you will be treated with so much love!
What is with that "we"? "We" are conservative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma