U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 05:15 PM

661 posts, read 1,760,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Freedom isn't free. Stop off at the Murrah Building Memorial in OKC.
Or the 45th Infantry Museum.

They have a bunch of trucks and tanks outside (some inside) as well as a lot of old guns and war time photos/artifacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 09:52 PM

7,525 posts, read 15,122,483 times
speaking of guns, the JM Davis Museum in Claremore is the worlds largest private gun collection......admission is free.
"The J.M. Davis Arms and Historical Museum houses over 13,000 firearms. Over 11,000 of those were part of Mr. Davis’ original collection that he displayed in the Mason Hotel in downtown Claremore, Oklahoma.

From a Chinese hand canon of the 1350s to modern machine guns and concealable defensive handguns, this museum is a thorough catalog collection of firearms history. Scattered throughout the exhibits you will also find many swords, knives, and other unique edged tools and weapons."
Welcome to the J.M. Davis Arms & Historical Museum

And don't forget the will rogers museum in claremore, while you are there.............The Official Site of Will Rogers Memorial Museums

If you have time, the Cherokee Nation in Tahlequah is good as well.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:10 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,364,614 times
We've the trip through New Mexico to Olahoma on I-40 with kids several times. We are usually just trying to get home and not stop anywhere.

Of interest to my kids while riding in the car is:
- The windmill farms in Eastern New Mexico and in Oklahoma before Oklahoma City. I can't remember the exact locations. It's a great opportunity to count to 100 for anyone who can count that high.
- Cadillac Ranch outside of Amarillo.
- The leaning tower and huge cross in Groom. Have to watch so you can be the first to see it.
-Spot the state capitol in OKC.

The McDonalds over the highway in Vinita was gross and dirty the last time I was there. I don't recommend it for right now. Hopefully the building will get remodeled. It is neat to look out over the highway.

If you don't have to be anywhere in a hurry, Route 66 would be fun to see a few of the sights and eat someplace. I'm planning to take my own kids on a tour one of these days.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 PM

17,093 posts, read 14,024,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou_norman View Post
Unfortunately I believe the Bavinger house was finally demolished earlier this year.
Then I was very fortunate to go on my one and only tour of it in summer 2010. The outside of it was looking rather old and weathered.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:31 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,498,172 times
Just East of Amarillo, TX an a few miles south is Palo Duro Canyon @ Palo Duro. They call it the "Little Grand"; its awesome for all ages.

In NE OK at the southern end of Grand Lake @ Langley, OK you'll find the world's largest multiple-arch dam. Tours inside the dam are free. At the north end of Grand Lake @ Grove, OK you can find:
1- The world's largest antique museum; it is a re-crated turn-of-century town with buildings.
2- Japanese garden with Tea House, Bonsai, and Koi.
3- Splitlog near Seneca. The only church in America built and paid for by Native America Mathias Splitlog for his wife.
4- Honey Creek State Park @ Grove is a full service park that offers a campground, launch, and things for kids.

0- NE of the City of Grove @ Monkey Island is a Car Museum.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 PM

48 posts, read 60,423 times
bricktown. railroad museum has a working kids train.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:27 AM

11,544 posts, read 26,498,172 times
What is bricktown and where is the R.R. museum?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:18 PM

9,673 posts, read 12,685,634 times
Default I Will Be Making My Annual Trip And Family Vacation To Tulsa/OKC Sept or October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
We will be driving through your great state coming from New Mexico and Texas going to Missouri in a few days. What are some of the top attractions we should see along the way? We will be travelling with 3 kids under age 10. Thanks in advance!

I have a lot of World Class Tulsa Attractions if you by any chance decise to make a return trip to Oklahoma in 2013.

BOK Center World Ranked Arena
Cain's Ballroom World Ranked Live Music Venue
Cilcrease Museum World Class Museum
Philbrook Museum World Class Museum
Sherwin Miller Museum of Jewish Art Very Strong Regional Attraction
Tulsa River Parks/Jenks River Walk Strong Regional Attraction with The Oklahoma Aquarium
Chandler Park strong Regional Attraction
Tulsa Zoo Mohawk Park Regional Attraction
Woodward Park/Garden Center Very Strong Regional Attraction
Cheery Street District Strong Regional Attraction
Brookside District Strong Regional Attraction
Pearl District Future Regional Attraction
Brady District
Blue Dome District
Route 66 Plaza
Newblock Park Sand Springs
OkOne Baseball Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or