Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Hey friend, I have seen Mesquite growing north of Stillwater along the turnpike. I will be going to Wichita next week and will try to get pictures and Mile Marker numbers so you can check it out to. I maybe wrong, especially since I'm traveling down the turnpike but I'm pretty certain they are Mesquite and not willows. This is the closest I have ever seen Mesquite growing to Tulsa.
Well, there tends to be exceptions to every rule. Maybe in the future the Mesquite will be central Oklahoma's new dominant tree, if droughts keep up every year and the cedars, scrub oaks, cottonwoods and willows, etc., can't survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 01:13 AM

134 posts, read 239,155 times
Hello again and thanks to everyone who posted. I have also done some more research and even used Google Street View in random areas to get a feel for the topography. I have decided to check out Southwest Oklahoma hopefully next year. I am really impressed with the Wichita Mountains. I will fly into OKC and visit various towns like Lawton, Altus, Weatherford, and Norman. It should be fun and I am excited. I may even try to do it this year.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:37 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami HurricaneZ View Post
Hello again and thanks to everyone who posted. I have also done some more research and even used Google Street View in random areas to get a feel for the topography. I have decided to check out Southwest Oklahoma hopefully next year. I am really impressed with the Wichita Mountains. I will fly into OKC and visit various towns like Lawton, Altus, Weatherford, and Norman. It should be fun and I am excited. I may even try to do it this year.
Quartz Mountain Lodge, located north of Altus, is a nice scenic place to stay. It's next to a lake with rocky hills. Hopefully, the lake won't be real low at the end of spring.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:03 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
That is so cool you are coming out here to see the Wichitas! Kind of a reminder, that part of our state is almost semi arid or may even be semi arid. Most of Oklahoma is much greener. The Wichita Mts are one of my favorite places in Oklahoma, but if you had time it would be real cool to see the Wichitas for a few days and then work your way over to the Arbuckles and then on to the Ouachitas (Pronounced like Wa****a) Mountains. There is less than 200 miles between the Wichitas and the Ouachitas but from the way they look you would think they are a thousand miles apart. The Wichitas area has almost a Southwest feel to it, where the Ouachitas have Southeast feel, looks a lot like the Smokies.

But if you are limited on time you can find a lot to do in the Wichitas. I'm sure you will have a great time.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:05 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
Quote:
That is so cool you are coming out here to see the Wichitas! Kind of a reminder, that part of our state is almost semi arid or may even be semi arid. Most of Oklahoma is much greener. The Wichita Mts are one of my favorite places in Oklahoma, but if you had time it would be real cool to see the Wichitas for a few days and then work your way over to the Arbuckles and then on to the Ouachitas (Pronounced like Wa****a) Mountains. There is less than 200 miles between the Wichitas and the Ouachitas but from the way they look you would think they are a thousand miles apart. The Wichitas area has almost a Southwest feel to it, where the Ouachitas have Southeast feel, looks a lot like the Smokies.

But if you are limited on time you can find a lot to do in the Wichitas. I'm sure you will have a great time.
LOL I can't believe City Data's dirty word filter wont let me type in Wa****a! How about Wa****a Country Oklahoma? Wa****a Battlefield? How about Wa****a River? Incase you have to know it is spelled Was h ita LOL

Old 02-15-2013, 03:45 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:

This would be my suggestion as well. It is shocking to see the differences in the three. However, there wouldn't be much wheat on the trip.

The problem with going journey looking for wheat is that you HAVE to do it in May after it's ripened and before they cut it.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Believe it or not, I like semi arid/arid areas. I grew up in South Central Florida where everything is green and lush. Honestly, I hate the green and find it ugly. I'm not sure how much time I will have but one day I plan to also visit the Oklahoma panhandle.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
If you're going to head out to the panhandle, a word of advice. Keep your gas tank full. There are long empty stretches out there.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 AM

374 posts, read 806,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Go breathe the wind at the Tall Grass Prairie. Visit Woolaroc or the Wa****a Park for the buffalo, longhorns, and Prairie dogs............the autoedit is pc to the extreme. the missing letters spell w a s h i t a without the spaces.
Here is a map of the Great Plains

Old 02-19-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If you're going to head out to the panhandle, a word of advice. Keep your gas tank full. There are long empty stretches out there.
LOL, I noticed that on the map. Isn't Boise City the largest in the Panhandle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma