U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 04:47 AM

3 posts, read 7,039 times
I was born in a small OK town. The positive was I had some of the best teachers in the world. The negative about OK is STATE INCOME TAX, inheritance and gift tax. I left at first because of better job opportunities out of state and now I cannot afford to move back because we would lose over $10,000 a year due to state tax on pensions, monies not made in OK. I wish they would change their taxation laws because I love so many wonderful folks back there. The 6 states that have no state income tax were the main ones increasing in population, according to the last stats I saw. You sound like wonderful parents. Raise your kids with a horse and they will prosper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 06:59 AM

16,432 posts, read 19,321,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie View Post
Well I've already moved out here to Oklahoma this past Monday and I am living in Norman and so far I LOVE it here!! I'm in a great area with my family and we are just enjoying it here. Weather is a bit cold but I love it. My house is a mess but it's getting there little by little..lol.
Wow! Congratulations. I think this is the first thread I have seen where it started with "We live in xxx and are thinking about moving to yyy" and ended with "Well, we're there." That is inspiring to us fence-sitters. Hope it all turns out nice for you.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:40 PM

11 posts, read 21,091 times
Question Moving to Sand Springs, OK

After reading your threads, it sounds like we made the right decision. We grew up in Bakersfield, lived in Southern California, Bay Area, and currently in Fresno. We found a place to retire in Sand Springs on 1-1/2 acres, in a country area, but close to civilization.

I'm having a problem in locating a good health insurance plan for seniors in that area. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 04-11-2007, 01:21 AM

13,387 posts, read 9,329,878 times
Default No Looking Back

I am also moving to Oklahoma(Duncan) from California (San Bernardino County) in the 1st week of June and there`s no looking back.
35years in California, I`ve watch the cost of living go up as the quality of living went down.
A window of oppritunity opened when I was offered a job in Duncan by someone who had already moved their business to Duncan from San Bernardino, Ca.
Ounce I see California in my rearview mirror, I will no longer feel like I`m living a nightmare or in a death trap.
I`m looking forward to a new life in Oklahoma

Old 04-13-2007, 09:48 AM

9 posts, read 24,398 times
I hope anyone that comes here will like it. I live in the hills of Sand Springs just outside of Tulsa. I have found the people very nice. I do have to say that there are rude drivers, but I guess you get that everywhere you go. As far as someone commenting on conservative right wingers... I'm not a right winger but I am a conservative and very proud of it. I'm proud that our Republican Senators are trying to do something about illegal immigration and other things. If someone wants political correctness, then this is not the place for you. This is Green Country in the Bible belt.

There are a lot of historical Churches in downtown Tulsa and if anyone expects to try to change that, expect to hear an uproar. Every town has its ups and downs, but I find Tulsa and the metro communities has more ups. As far as crime, in some areas it is bad and the murder rate is not so good. Just stay aware, vigilant and be careful.

Out of all of the places I have lived, I like it here more than anywhere else.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:22 PM

24,867 posts, read 10,992,309 times
Holdenville is also known as Hooterville to the locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hau-kola View Post
Hi LisaMarie! I saw the title of your thread here and thought "Hey! Thats me!" I'm in central California and looking to move to Holdenville Ok. I'm glad your move worked out for you and hope that some day I can post and say " Goodbye California - Hello Oklahoma!"

Old 04-14-2007, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,003 times
Red face Been in OK for over half my life

Edmond is a great area and community. With their own transportation services, hospitals, and two colleges. Did I mention minutes from Lake Arcadia that has camping amenities and trails along with beaches. Lake Hefner has a few nice features.. but very dirty water no swimming aloud I am pretty sure. I personally would not live downtown OKC.. if you want to live in a safe enviroment. Norman is big party college town, check crime rates Edmond versus Norman.. This is a link to Edmond trolley web site.

http://gometro.org/metro_transit%20folder/metro_transit/eddy_trolley.htm (broken link)

I personally like most of the weather here, I could do without tornado season, and the unbearable heat of the summer, but for the most part its nice... dusty at times and the wind can get pretty gusty.

Good luck to you!

Old 04-15-2007, 03:09 PM

Nitty, and Peladac, nice to see you here!
When ever someone out here learns that I`m moving to Oklahoma the first thing they say is: "watch out for the tornados" my reply is:
So what, I`m moving from "Earth Quake Valley" to "Tornado Alley", The positives`s in OK, out weigh the negatives`s in CA. by a large margin.
I`m tired of living in the fast lane, the high cost of living, congested highways and freeways,crime ridden communities and attempts of mutiny by illegal immigrant and the government.

By the way, how frequent are tornado`s in OK,?
Earthquakes don`t happen too often, there`s more aftershocks than anything. Most of the time you feel the floor move but don`t realize what it was until it`s all over with, within seconds. But the impact varies for different areas.
Horses are good earthquake predicters. A neighbor use to keep horses in a 1 3/4 acre pasture next to me, when ever I saw those horses running the fenceline full trot, within 30 seconds an eathquake or aftershock hit.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:39 PM

108 posts, read 203,574 times
I moved here from San Diego (2005) and man what a culture shock!!! However Oklahoma is way way more affordable than Cali.

Last edited by Yac; 04-18-2007 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: Offensive part removed. No need for that.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:15 PM

LeftHook Wrote:
Quote:
and man what a culture shock!!!
Compared to the Illegals in California, I`m sure that would`nt be hard to get over.
I have nothing against people in general, what am against is people that have something against our country.
Being from California, you know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma