U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:54 PM

8,064 posts, read 10,102,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I've been thinking about the Oklahoma accent lately so I googled and happened to find this thread.

The reason I've been thinking about it is The Rockford Files. I always thought James Garner was from Texas due to his accent, but I found out from Wikipedia that he's an Oklahoman. A lot of his pronunciation is just like Texans'-- not a Southern accent like you find in deep East TX, but the core Texas accent. I started thinking that TX and OK have essentially the same accent.

But here is why I'm replying to your post... In the show, James Rockford and his father are from Bakersfield originally, which was settled by a lot of Texans and Oklahomans during the Dust Bowl. So the Oklahoma accent is completely in character. It makes sense that Californians would think you were from the Central Valley.
There are still enclaves of this accent here. But they are dying out, awash in the massive in migration from places east of the Mississippi not to mention overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 06:52 PM

13,181 posts, read 8,006,855 times
This dialect map shows Oklahoma two distinct dialects and ..Inland South....like North Texas ....and Midland....like Kansas.

American English Dialects

I'm Inland South myself but I think I've run across Oklahomans that sound like a cross between a Texan and a Nebraskan which I assume is Midland..it's very subtle and hard to describe.

Last edited by padcrasher; 07-10-2011 at 07:01 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 10:29 PM

4,305 posts, read 4,083,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
This dialect map shows Oklahoma two distinct dialects and ..Inland South....like North Texas ....and Midland....like Kansas.

American English Dialects

I'm Inland South myself but I think I've run across Oklahomans that sound like a cross between a Texan and a Nebraskan which I assume is Midland..it's very subtle and hard to describe.
Mortal sin.....don't ever compare us to Texicans or 'Braskans (Yankee voice).

We're Okies. The majority of us possess what other states would consider a Southern twang (different than a drawl, of course), but at the end of the day we're just Okies and quite fine with that without any outsiders trying to peg us down.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Status: "Don't let mankind Bogart love...." (set 10 hours ago)

7,246 posts, read 10,060,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
This dialect map shows Oklahoma two distinct dialects and ...............
prob'ly written by a bunch of yankees that don't know any better than to try to make themselves look important. They really should know that Okies don't have an accent........but everyone else from everywhere else does.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
prob'ly written by a bunch of yankees that don't know any better than to try to make themselves look important. They really should know that Okies don't have an accent........but everyone else from everywhere else does.
Amen and Amen.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 AM

25,538 posts, read 11,633,224 times
And the same bunch that keeps going to every state thread and asking Is your state midwestern or southern?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
And the same bunch that keeps going to every state thread and asking Is your state midwestern or southern?
Exactly! Tired old inquiries, mindless discussions.

That horse has been down, kicked, shot, kicked again, and buried for some time now.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:31 PM

7,092 posts, read 12,066,236 times
So is Oklahoma midwestern or southern?

Just kidding, Just kidding, Just kidding!
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
So is Oklahoma midwestern or southern?

Just kidding, Just kidding, Just kidding!
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Not Midwestern.

Oklahoma is SOUTHWestern and shares some cultural affinity with New Mexico which is SouthWESTERN.

Plus, OK/TX are South-Central in the technical geographic sense.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:17 PM

7,092 posts, read 12,066,236 times
I've always considered it a southwestern state. I was surprised to see midwestern and especially southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma