Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 05:51 PM

6 posts, read 16,142 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from the town of Shattuck and have wanted to move back to the area for a long time. After much research I've decided that Buffalo fits the bill, and I'd like to go up and stay awhile to see if I'd like to call it home. The problem is that I don't drive because of vision problems and I've not been able to find any type of transportation further than OKC. Any ideas out there?

I love northwestern Oklahoma and small town/rural life. Somebody tell me it's not a "you can't get there from here" sort of place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 08:19 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times
some small towns have shuttle bus service for around town. is that what you need? i am not familiar with southwestern Oklahoma.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,953 times
I would just call them and ask them if they have anything that would fit your needs.

This is the number to call: 580-735-2030

If not, you might consider Enid. They do have a shuttle service, and it is also in the northwestern part of the state.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I would just call them and ask them if they have anything that would fit your needs.

This is the number to call: 580-735-2030

If not, you might consider Enid. They do have a shuttle service, and it is also in the northwestern part of the state.
What's that number to? I've emailed the city manager in Buffalo, and he didn't know of any options. I have looked at Enid too, but it's a bit big for me.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
some small towns have shuttle bus service for around town. is that what you need? i am not familiar with southwestern Oklahoma.
Actually it's shuttle service to town that I'm looking for, in the northwestern area.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:29 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,953 times
That number is the city manager's office.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:29 PM

713 posts, read 2,716,703 times
Hi! I used to live in Buffalo and in Laverne. There wasn't any shuttle in town. Are u looking to live outside of the town? I don't know when u were last there...not much. I was a reporter for the Harper County Journal in Buffalo for four yrs. My now ex husband was a police officer there. He still lives near there (Doby Springs) and his mother lives in town. My children are out there quite often. As I said, not much there and u have to drive to Woodward or Dodge City for shopping other than groceries.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:24 AM

Hi Verynicebecky! I 'm looking to get a small farm outside a very small town, so Buffalo sounds just right. I don't require much in the way of shopping or entertainment. As long as there's food for me and the critters ,we'll be fine.

Sooo, how close can I get without a car?

Old 10-31-2007, 04:53 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
How are you gonna run a farm without a vehicle? My great aunt still lives in Shattuck. She is blind in her left eye and can't see well out of her right one. We have all been trying to get her to give up the car for years. Her answer is "How am I gonna get to the grocery store and the post office?" She said she knows how far it is to each place and she says she can still make out the stop signs. Dreams and reality are two different things.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:20 PM

713 posts, read 2,716,703 times
I really miss Buffalo and Laverne. Harper County is beautiful and I loved exploring the old townships that once existed there. I think that your first question should be, "are there any places up for sale?" I havent checked online...i do know that finding a rental in town is pretty difficult in small towns. I wanted to move back a few yrs ago and ended up having to move into the neighboring county across the state line (clark co., ks.). But in all honesty, unless u can befriend someone who can drive u into town for groceries (I forgot to mention that Buffalo has a Duckwall's Variety Store now) and the like....i dont see how u could possibly live outside of the city limits without a vehicle. When i lived there, the nursing home did take residents (of the home) in a van to Woodward for outings..but that is about the only shuttling that went on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma