U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-10-2013, 08:10 PM

305 posts, read 134,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
It was liberal policies that made marijuana illegal to begin with. It's quite hillarious to see today's Republicans fighting this to the death.

I am conservative and Christian, but I feel that if alcohol and tobacco is legal then marijuana should be as well. Marijuana is actually less harmful to the body than alcohol and is not physically addictive.

I agree with Mr. Special on one thing, I don't think this will pass. I also think it will be decades before Oklahoma sees marijuana legalization, but I think it will happen eventually. I do hope however the other bill passes that reduces the penalty for marijuana. Oklahoma has the strictest penalty for marijuana in the nation and spends tons of money incarcerating people for stuff as minor as smoking a joint.
What's funnier is people actually getting excited about it and arguing the benefits, thinking there is a chance in Oklahoma. I used to smoke it and I am a Republican. However, the fallacy in your logic is saying that it is less harmful than any other drug you abuse. Smoking anything causes lung disease and lung cancer. Marijuana is not the exception. No matter what 420 magazine or the 19 year old stoner kid on your block tells you. And the vaporizers are also a sham. Every stoner I knew that got one used it for a couple months and realized it sucked. Right back to combustion. No one eats edibles on a regular basis either.

Are the penalties too harsh for those who get caught using it? Yes. Is it just as damaging as any other drug people abuse? Yes

And trust me, I've been in the culture...there is really no such thing as an "occasional" smoker surrounding the medical marijuana scene. "I am allowed to possess up to an ounce, but I only smoke it once every six months. " Yeah right.

The other funny aspect about this thread is how people who are completely healthy are getting excited about "medical" use. Which is supposed to be for people suffering from serious issues like chemo and aids complications. Thus demonstrating how ridiculous the pro medical pot crowd really is.

The doctor in this video said it perfectly when he called it a joke. A insult to the medical community. Your local stoner is not a doctor or a scientist, and really has no idea how these chemicals affect the body.
Bill filed to allow medical marijuana use in Oklahoma | KFOR.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-11-2013, 03:00 AM

8,096 posts, read 5,643,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
What's funnier is people actually getting excited about it and arguing the benefits, thinking there is a chance in Oklahoma. I used to smoke it and I am a Republican. However, the fallacy in your logic is saying that it is less harmful than any other drug you abuse. Smoking anything causes lung disease and lung cancer. Marijuana is not the exception. No matter what 420 magazine or the 19 year old stoner kid on your block tells you.

The doctor in this video said it perfectly when he called it a joke. A insult to the medical community. Your local stoner is not a doctor or a scientist, and really has no idea how these chemicals affect the body.
Bill filed to allow medical marijuana use in Oklahoma | KFOR.com
You are so all out wrong that it's pitiful. A doctor, a lung expert, by the name of Dr. Donald Tashkin, conducted research for many years, with help from our tax dollars, in an effort to prove that smoking marijuana causes lung cancer. He failed to do so and decided that while he doesn't advise people to smoke it, he no longer sees any reason why it should continue to be banned. What's the worst disease that can happen to a person who smokes marijuana? Bronchitis? If so, it sure isn't as bad as lung cancer.

A major reason why Oklahoma may not have to wait for decades to do anything about legalizing marijuana is because neighboring Arkansas almost voted to legalize medical marijuana last Nov. It failed by 51 to 49%.

One good reason to legalize marijuana is so it can be set free to do extensive research upon it to better understand its good properties. Most research done in this country on marijuana has focused on trying to discover its bad effects. After all, one of the leading experts on marijuana, Dr. Lester Grinspoon said:

"I have come to doubt whether the FDA rules should apply to cannabis. There is no question about its safety. It is one of humanity's oldest medicines, used for thousands of years by millions of people with very little evidence of significant toxic effects. More is known about its adverse effects than about those of most prescription drugs."

A number of other doctors do take marijuana seriously. I've read of an older surgeon who decided to switch to recommending medical marijuana after feeling he could no longer see well enough to do surgery. Here, another doctor talks of his experiences in recommending medical marijuana:

Dr. Phillip A. Denney, M.D. Part 1 of 3 - YouTube

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 02-11-2013 at 03:12 AM..

Unread 02-11-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You are so all out wrong that it's pitiful. A doctor, a lung expert, by the name of Dr. Donald Tashkin, conducted research for many years, with help from our tax dollars, in an effort to prove that smoking marijuana causes lung cancer. He failed to do so and decided that while he doesn't advise people to smoke it, he no longer sees any reason why it should continue to be banned. What's the worst disease that can happen to a person who smokes marijuana? Bronchitis? If so, it sure isn't as bad as lung cancer.

A major reason why Oklahoma may not have to wait for decades to do anything about legalizing marijuana is because neighboring Arkansas almost voted to legalize medical marijuana last Nov. It failed by 51 to 49%.

One good reason to legalize marijuana is so it can be set free to do extensive research upon it to better understand its good properties. Most research done in this country on marijuana has focused on trying to discover its bad effects. After all, one of the leading experts on marijuana, Dr. Lester Grinspoon said:

"I have come to doubt whether the FDA rules should apply to cannabis. There is no question about its safety. It is one of humanity's oldest medicines, used for thousands of years by millions of people with very little evidence of significant toxic effects. More is known about its adverse effects than about those of most prescription drugs."

A number of other doctors do take marijuana seriously. I've read of an older surgeon who decided to switch to recommending medical marijuana after feeling he could no longer see well enough to do surgery. Here, another doctor talks of his experiences in recommending medical marijuana:

Dr. Phillip A. Denney, M.D. Part 1 of 3 - YouTube

Ah yes, that proves it alright. One doctor failed to prove that smoking pot causes cancer. Stop the press.....This after it has been proven that marijuana smoke contains the same carcinogens as tobacco smoke. It's the combustion, silly. Only a bleeping moron thinks filling your lungs with smoke and holding it for a prolong period is harmless.

Look pal, you are not a doctor or a scientist. People who smoke pot suffer from the same respiratory disorders and tobacco smokers. Stop being that 420 burnout guy that thinks pot is the harmless miracle. Pot, like any other drug works for a while then the positive effects turn into negative effects.

The medical marijuana crowd is fooling no one. I would bet the house that you have no health issues that would require you to smoke pot....but you would tell the doctor you have migraines or "anxiety" so you could get your card. Like all of the clowns pushing for this, you are simply looking for a reason to get high. You don't care one bit about aids patients or people undergoing chemo. It will not happen in Oklahoma. Either move to a blue state out west(Washington) of give up the dream. The legislator who proposed these bills is most likely the laughing stock at the Capital.

The Bill in Arkansas failed 52% to 48% with only 63% of the precincts willing to even vote on it.
http://ozarksfirst.com/fulltext?nxd_id=725162

I do agree with you that the penalties for possession are too harsh. However, every state that has passed similar legislation has resulted in pot getting into the hands of our children.

Unread 02-11-2013, 01:02 PM

7,950 posts, read 8,224,680 times
John. I understand you think pot is a horrible thing. A lot of people think the same thing about alcohol and tobacco. The truth is marijuana is no more harmful than alcohol or tobacco and therefore should be legal as long as the former two are. Why do we need government protecting us from ourselves? Pot is non-addictive. If people smoke it they should be prepared to pay whatever health consequences come with it the same as tobacco users. You are all for personal freedom and responsibility on things you like i.e. guns but are for government prohibition of things you don't like. The "conservative" position on marijuana is simply not consistent with the rest of your platform.

Unread 02-11-2013, 02:23 PM

Johnspecial, you fault people who cite 420 mag or a pothead as an authority on marijuana, but still want to do it when I cite doctors, who are experts on the subject. Right, I'm no doctor or scientist, so I will cite people who are. I notice you don't bother citing any expert to support your opinion on the issue.

I quite seldom smoke marijuana and never before in my life have I actually bought any, meaning its use has very little appeal to me. But in the future, should I have the misfortune to come down with an illness that doesn't respond well to conventional medicine, I would want the option to try legalized medical marijuana in Oklahoma.

Maybe you're ignorant of the facts that the government holds at least one patent on medical marijuana. It also sends out free of charge a can of marijuana filled with joints to each one of the four remaining medical marijuana patents eligible for it under a court order. This has been going on every month for these people for at least two decades with no seriously ill effects apparent. One, pictured below, works as a stock broker. Meanwhile, the Drug Enforcement Agency still insists upon classifying marijuana as a highly restricted schedule 1 drug. To me, this kind of justice going on is unfair, ignorant and irrational, while displaying totally irresponsible governing.

Maybe you're ignorant that the American Medical Association did not support congress making marijuana illegal in 1937. Instead, congress took seriously highly racist reasons for making it illegal. Today, more and more people are finding that out and are wanting to see that dark chapter in American history corrected by legalizing marijuana.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 02-11-2013 at 03:16 PM..

Unread 02-12-2013, 07:48 PM

Here's a little fact for you Stillwater Townie. I smoked Marijuana every day for 7 years and now have permanent lung damage. Sometimes it's like breathing through a plastic straw. I'm tired of watching people like you push the pothead propaganda. The fake medical news and the BS studies. It will cause health problems, it's not healthy for your body or mind and it does not lead to a happier life. People dying of cancer can find relief with it. You are just a pothead wanting to get high.

Unread 02-13-2013, 01:05 AM

I'm sorry about your lung condition.

Once again, I haven't had much experience with smoking marijuana, recalling it being more effective in making me cough than feeling funny, a sign it's not good for my system. If I want to feel funny, I'd sooner do it by breathing as deep and fast as I can for around 30 seconds. I don't smoke tobacco, either, and don't advocate it be banned, even though I feel it can do more harm to the human body than marijuana. If marijuana had not been banned, then probably more would have been known about it's harmful effects by now as it turned out to be the case for tobacco. I would venture to say other ways of using marijuana would have been just as popular, or more so.

If marijuana is so harmful to the human body, then where are all the anti-marijuana books warning against its use that are credibly written? They're real hard to find.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 02-13-2013 at 01:40 AM..

Unread 02-13-2013, 04:47 PM

67 posts, read 33,374 times
The Indian tribes will start selling it in their smoke shops. The State can't do anything about it.

Unread 02-13-2013, 10:58 PM

7,950 posts, read 8,224,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
The Indian tribes will start selling it in their smoke shops. The State can't do anything about it.
Is that upon federal legalization? Does Oklahoma really have no authority over tribal businesses?

Unread 02-14-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
That's would be an interesting development, if true and not merely idle speculation. I wonder if marijuana was part of their past culture? They might as well try going for it. It would provide a good alternative from alcohol as well as for everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma