Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:31 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiffdaGreat View Post
there aren't a lot of "pretty" aspects of OKC, or tulsa, they're both kinda giant pits....
Well, let me explain. I started this thread before we had gone to OK. We thought several areas were very nice. The Poteau area is pretty and the entire area along the Ok/Ark border is nice. Grove is just the neatest place.

We're not that fond of cities, but I just HAD to see some of the parks and architecture and museums in Tulsa. We thought it was definitely worth the trip. We really liked the Jenks and River Park area. We aren't worldwide travelers, but we have been to several places in the country and weren't disappointed in OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 09:41 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
there aren't a lot of "pretty" aspects of OKC, or tulsa, they're both kinda giant pits....
I know you have a right to your opinion, but I could not disagree more. I prefer the hills and valleys and mountains and rivers of the wild, but anytime you put a lot of people in a small space you will have some pretty areas and some areas that are not. Does Tulsa or OKC have nice areas? Absolutely. Bricktown and the Myriad area are really nice oasis's in the midst of downtown. The 12 mile stretch along the river from Tulsa to Jenks is extraordinary and is getting better. The Tulsa Rose Garden, Philbrook, the Gilcrease, Brookside, Cherry Street, Expo Square, The BOK Center, PAC, TCC PAC, Southern Hills, Mohawk Park, etc etc etc, all offer fun and interesting experiences in pleasant and attractive environments at a VERY affordable rate.

So while your opinion is certainly one way to look at it, I think you are being pretty short sighted and biased for some reason.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:57 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Have you even been to either city? If so, you must open your eyes once you arrive. Seriously, what is up with all of these opinions based on ignorance of the area?

Oh I forgot.. Never mind, you're right; it's a hell hole in Oklahoma. I prefer that people that are enlightened such as yourself propogate these myths so that leaves more of my precious home state for me.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,687 times
I am looking to take a job locatd in Shawnee OK. I currently live in the Houston area by water. I love the water. What does the OKC area have to offered by the water? My second option would be a high rise lifestyle.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:26 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Sorry, your out of luck.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:00 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Default Pretties city in OK

I am a big fan of Tulsa because of the abundance of trees and beautiful architecture. The fact I found a couple of Chinese joints with great food just makes the visits better. But, this post isn't about T-town or the playpen, it's about some place else - anywhere else.

My pick is Grove, OK because its okay. It is a peninsula surrounded by rolling hillls and high bluffs covered with lush greenery located on the largest man-made lake in the mid-west. It does take close to 4-5 hours to drive around Grand Lake. Hidden among the hills are all kinds of well kept secrets from Civil War history to a recreated turn of the century town in a museum built on the shores of Grand Lake to the the world's largest multiple-arch dam on the opposite end of the lake. In the fall Grand Lake is host to hundreds of white pelicans and one of the oldest inland 24-hour sailing races in the mid-west. Humming birds, Japanese Garden with Koi, Bonzai trees and the Tea House. The plants are not from Japan but they are from the Pacific Northwest. Why they flourish in the hot Ok summers is a secret only the original owner and developer Dr. Leonard Miller knows. The spring Azalea show at LenDonwood Garden is exquisite.

I interviewed Miller once and asked what the biggest problem was in his garden. I expected him to name a plant pest. Instead he said, "Heron." He explained they liked the Koi he raised in a pool attached to his house. He raised his own koi to stock his ponds as some of those colorful carp cost $500 or more per fish. In any case it is a wonderfully lush garden with low light and foot bridges and an amazing array of beautuful plants.

The bluffs surrounding the lake are awesom and they offer wonderful photo opportunities. The thing about the lake that alawys made me giggle is it is impossible to get lost in Grove for all roads end at the lake. Bring your camper. Nestled among the rolling hills and bluffs is Bernice Honey Creek State Park. It is a full service park with pump-out station and showers. In terms of acres it is not massive, but it has much to offer. Day or night it is a great park for all ages.

Some of the other things to do are lake cruises, fishing, hunting, shopping, art galleries, car museum, history and the new libary; it's awesome. If you like BBQ, Tom Cat Corner on 59N has awesome smoked meats. He's been doing it onsite for years. Buy it by the sandwich or by the pound.

Grove is worth the trip and a great way to spend a lazy weekend. Grand Lake also has two hospitals. One is located at Grove and the other is located at Langley. And by the way, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Oklahoma is far from being a pit. The beauty of Grove is because it is in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains. Its beauty is lost as one travels west into the red earth country and doesn't improve much until past the Texas/New Mexico border. Even then the tree covered bluffs and rolling hills are lost due to the geological and ambient air differences. If you want to see water and trees drive East. if you want to see red earth and mountains drive West. That is the way God created it.

Last edited by linicx; 11-08-2008 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: script

Old 11-09-2008, 04:34 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I am a big fan of Tulsa because of the abundance of trees and beautiful architecture. The fact I found a couple of Chinese joints with great food just makes the visits better. But, this post isn't about T-town or the playpen, it's about some place else - anywhere else.

My pick is Grove, OK because its okay. It is a peninsula surrounded by rolling hillls and high bluffs covered with lush greenery located on the largest man-made lake in the mid-west. It does take close to 4-5 hours to drive around Grand Lake. Hidden among the hills are all kinds of well kept secrets from Civil War history to a recreated turn of the century town in a museum built on the shores of Grand Lake to the the world's largest multiple-arch dam on the opposite end of the lake. In the fall Grand Lake is host to hundreds of white pelicans and one of the oldest inland 24-hour sailing races in the mid-west. Humming birds, Japanese Garden with Koi, Bonzai trees and the Tea House. The plants are not from Japan but they are from the Pacific Northwest. Why they flourish in the hot Ok summers is a secret only the original owner and developer Dr. Leonard Miller knows. The spring Azalea show at LenDonwood Garden is exquisite.

I interviewed Miller once and asked what the biggest problem was in his garden. I expected him to name a plant pest. Instead he said, "Heron." He explained they liked the Koi he raised in a pool attached to his house. He raised his own koi to stock his ponds as some of those colorful carp cost $500 or more per fish. In any case it is a wonderfully lush garden with low light and foot bridges and an amazing array of beautuful plants.

The bluffs surrounding the lake are awesom and they offer wonderful photo opportunities. The thing about the lake that alawys made me giggle is it is impossible to get lost in Grove for all roads end at the lake. Bring your camper. Nestled among the rolling hills and bluffs is Bernice Honey Creek State Park. It is a full service park with pump-out station and showers. In terms of acres it is not massive, but it has much to offer. Day or night it is a great park for all ages.

Some of the other things to do are lake cruises, fishing, hunting, shopping, art galleries, car museum, history and the new libary; it's awesome. If you like BBQ, Tom Cat Corner on 59N has awesome smoked meats. He's been doing it onsite for years. Buy it by the sandwich or by the pound.

Grove is worth the trip and a great way to spend a lazy weekend. Grand Lake also has two hospitals. One is located at Grove and the other is located at Langley. And by the way, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Oklahoma is far from being a pit. The beauty of Grove is because it is in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains. Its beauty is lost as one travels west into the red earth country and doesn't improve much until past the Texas/New Mexico border. Even then the tree covered bluffs and rolling hills are lost due to the geological and ambient air differences. If you want to see water and trees drive East. if you want to see red earth and mountains drive West. That is the way God created it.
Great post. Makes me want to drive up to Grand Lake tomorrow!

Old 02-16-2009, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 11,891 times
please if someone could help me out, i remember that i have been to a small ( really small) town /village in OK, must have been around lawton, where there maybe was only the main road really paved and most of the other roads where gravel, and there was this nice and large (maybe 2 story ?) light blue house with white shutters and a large deck/paddio around the bottom floor, and there was an old lady sitting in a rockingchair in the shade of the trees that where growing there . and it was such the peacefull atmosphere there, and it looked like ppl just build their houses underneath some trees where they could find a good spot...
it looked really cosy and really like you were back in time for sure and like at any minute there was a carriage with 2 horses coming through ... not like in a western town though, rather just like back in time in the countryside...
does anybody have any idea what i might be remembering here ???

thank you !!
THERE ARE SOME really nice spots in OK !
NO doubt about it
Maybe not so many inside of the town of lawton, but around it , i have seen some really nice views befor !!! ( i lived in Lawton 10 years ago though , it might have changed alot)

Last edited by Greys; 02-16-2009 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: spelling and adding text

Old 02-16-2009, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 11,891 times
i think i might have been walking through there when i was going to a rattle snake festival / fair ?
I cannot remember for the life of me ! please help me out !!!

Old 02-16-2009, 05:55 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
One of the prettiest small tows in OK is Grove on Grand Lake. The town is progressive and the politics are moderate. Its a good place to raise kids. Specifically, the Lendonwood Japanese Garden is awesome when it is in full bloom.

Last edited by linicx; 02-16-2009 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma