Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:05 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,490,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
I'm from the other coast but if I wanted to live around liberals there wouldn't be any need for me to consider moving. Obviously I want a different kind of life than I have here. Liberals are destroying this state. They are pushing for an all-powerful government to be able to force people to submit to the will of the liberals. The liberals want to tax every aspect of our lives to enrich their privileged leaders. I want to live free of their attempts to gain total dominance over my life. If I stay here I have no hope of stopping that. I am hoping to move to Oklahoma while I still can. If I do get there I will fight to prevent any liberal control from getting a foothold there.
So Connecticut rates pretty high in the quality of life statistics in this chart: Conservative vs Liberal States

If you move to Oklahoma, then you better be prepared and have enough rugged individualism to deal with the rough weather, along with lack of adequate government services caused by lower taxes, for starters: bad streets and highways. In other words, you gotta be tough enough to live in Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 03:15 PM

274 posts, read 516,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So Connecticut rates pretty high in the quality of life statistics in this chart: Conservative vs Liberal States

If you move to Oklahoma, then you better be prepared and have enough rugged individualism to deal with the rough weather, along with lack of adequate government services caused by lower taxes, for starters: bad streets and highways. In other words, you gotta be tough enough to live in Oklahoma.
Wouldn't have it any other way.

I lived in OKC for four years so I know what it's like there. I got out to the small towns enough to find several that I think I would really like to live. I have driven on many Oklahoma dirt roads and I have no problems living on them. I'm a survivalist/prepper and I could go several months without a trip to town if necessary. I know how to use a tractor and backhoe and I could probably make a road passaible myself if necessary. I would rather spend a day clearing brush than lifting weights at a gym. Clearing brush is really good exercise plus it gives me a sense of accomplishment that I just don't get at the gym.

My grandfather had a small farm so I know about raising livestock. I probably wouldn't be raising anything larger than chickens, a few sheep, a couple dairy goats, a couple beef cattle and maybe a horse or a couple pigs. I know how to disbud and castrate goats and cows. I know how to ride a horse or dirt bike. I may not be the best at roping cows but only because I had to learn that myself with my grandfather's cows. There aren't a lot of cowboys in Connecticut that are teaching young boys to rope cows.

Do you know what a washboard is? I own one. I would use it more often but every time I bring it out the people here stop and stare at me like I'm some kind of circus sideshow freak. I want to live where I can be far enough off the street where people can't do that. I can bake my own bread, can the foods I grow and mend my clothes. I can hunt and fish, trap and snare. I can build a house from a set of blueprints. My plumbing and electrical work is always up to building code standards.

If I do make it to Oklahoma, you're welcome to spend a week living with me and we'll SEE who is tough to live in Oklahoma!

Old 03-18-2013, 10:12 PM

92 posts, read 189,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
would probably prefer living in Missouri over Oklahoma. Californians tend to be more libertarian. Oklahoma is a solid conservative state situated in the heart of the Bible Belt. Missouri has more of a left-leaning slant mixed in with conventional conservatism. St. Louis would be a prime location IMO.

Good. As a native conservative Californian researching a move, this is music to my ears.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 PM

17,633 posts, read 13,452,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
I'm from the other coast but if I wanted to live around liberals there wouldn't be any need for me to consider moving. Obviously I want a different kind of life than I have here. Liberals are destroying this state. They are pushing for an all-powerful government to be able to force people to submit to the will of the liberals. The liberals want to tax every aspect of our lives to enrich their privileged leaders. I want to live free of their attempts to gain total dominance over my life. If I stay here I have no hope of stopping that. I am hoping to move to Oklahoma while I still can. If I do get there I will fight to prevent any liberal control from getting a foothold there.
Sounds like your a guy that JohnnySpecial would approve of. Come on down.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:01 AM

374 posts, read 802,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
John Special doesn't represent most Oklahomans.

Yes, its a conservative state, but people, at least in OKC, aren't as anti-transplant as he is.
translation:

"Don't listen to John Special guys. Please. We're sorry. We want you to move here. I'm so tired of Oklahoma being such a backwards place. I'm too lazy to move myself. We need more outsiders."

Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydogstinks View Post
Good. As a native conservative Californian researching a move, this is music to my ears.
You are the people we want. Just remember. What you call conservative in CA may be considered liberal here. Your conservatism will be put to the test.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:54 PM

92 posts, read 189,106 times
Quote:
You are the people we want. Just remember. What you call conservative in CA may be considered liberal here. Your conservatism will be put to the test.

LOL, no worries. Been scouting political commentary, legislation, etc and OK looks like a paradise of common-thought for us. I've almost been brought to tears to think we might get to live in a state we would be proud of. Haven't felt that way for two decades.

Now if I can get past my self-admitted-most-likely-ignorant fear of tornadoes....

Old 03-21-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydogstinks View Post
LOL, no worries. Been scouting political commentary, legislation, etc and OK looks like a paradise of common-thought for us. I've almost been brought to tears to think we might get to live in a state we would be proud of. Haven't felt that way for two decades.

Now if I can get past my self-admitted-most-likely-ignorant fear of tornadoes....
The warning systems will make sure you are aware of them and that you know exactly what to do when they occur. The chances of you getting caught off guard by a tornado are small.

You will do just fine

Old 03-21-2013, 06:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,166,913 times
Quote:
The warning systems will make sure you are aware of them and that you know exactly what to do when they occur. The chances of you getting caught off guard by a tornado are small.

You will do just fine
I still hate that there are tornados, and know the above and can keep the tv on all night with no shows but reports and tell myself that its good to have warning. Still really hate spring. My sil has a shelter so I'd feel better if I had something like that. Silly closet with drywall doesn't impress me much.

But its true you have plenty of time to figure out where you'll be IF something heads your way. Not so with earthquakes.

Still with no,none, zero desire to go back to socal.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,187,786 times
Quote:
translation:

"Don't listen to John Special guys. Please. We're sorry. We want you to move here. I'm so tired of Oklahoma being such a backwards place. I'm too lazy to move myself. We need more outsiders."
If it wasn't for family being here, I probably would move. I still may in a few years, don't know yet.

Quote:
John Special is right. Conservative in many places is liberal in Oklahoma. If you drink alcohol and/or don't believe its sin, you are liberal here. You are very liberal if you think we should do away with 3.2 beer. You are liberal if you don't think the two biggest evils in the world are abortion and homosexuality. You are liberal if you vote Republican but don't support the Tea Party. You are liberal if you think Obama was born in the United States. You are liberal if you value the arts or support development of neighborhoods with character. You are liberal if you don't like shopping at Wal-Mart and wish there were viable alternatives. That is political reality in Oklahoma.

I was pretty conservative in North Carolina, but by Oklahoma standards I am moderate to liberal.

The good news is the above mindset is not ALL Oklahomans. There are some, though a minority, who aren't right-wing extremists. There are moderates and even liberals here, and they aren't just in Tulsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma