U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:07 AM

3,701 posts, read 5,692,098 times
I have a 1,000 sf house with an acre of land. By the time my double homestead exemption takes effect, my taxes should be around 125.00-135.00/year. An adjoining place I bought last summer with an abandoned house on 1/2 acre of land, which I may or may not fix up and rent, has a tax of 51.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 11:35 AM

1,435 posts, read 1,792,495 times
This is the cheapest State I've lived in with property taxes. I've moved here from Ill. and sold an identical type house on 3 acres for the almost same home on 280 acres and pay less property taxes. Lived in Ky, Utah, CA, IL and Wis. These taxes are almost a sin to pay they are so low. Of course your cars can get stuck in pot holes and I homeschooled my children in order to get them into the University but that is because I am rural. I look at selling because we're approaching retirement age but when I look at property taxes else where I get a little sick. The problem with paying so low is you get use to it.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:33 PM

9,480 posts, read 6,484,502 times
When I was looking at the listing on my house, I asked about the property tax. She told me, and I said that was pretty good per month. She said no, thats per year. Fell in love with the house immediately. I tell people in cali and they don't believe me.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:41 PM

2,548 posts, read 3,315,982 times
Outside the city limits of Tulsa would be better. Taxes keep going up by leaps and bounds. First it's the BOK Center, now the streets.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:46 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,792,495 times
Thats funny nightbird47. All my relatives are in CA too and think I am making up prices. By the way my younger daughter is an RN in your only hopsital there in Cushing so.... I'd say you in good hands.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:57 PM

3,701 posts, read 5,692,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
When I was looking at the listing on my house, I asked about the property tax. She told me, and I said that was pretty good per month. She said no, thats per year. Fell in love with the house immediately. I tell people in cali and they don't believe me.
When I first knew I was going to move, I started looking at places all over the country, beginning with some of the really cheap fixer-uppers on ebay. A lot of them only needed some cosmetic work, yard clean up and fresh paint - but those were in cities, which I didn't really want to be in, and the property taxes on some of them were actually more per month than my total monthly income. Scary. It's one thing to buy a house for a few dollars, literally, and another to realize that years and years worth of back taxes come along with the title.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,556 times
I was just informed by a friend who owns a home in Bartlesville that they pay up to 12% property tax on their home. I don't know if you are only figuring in city tax or whole property tax, but that seems like a lot to me. She said their property tax went up $900 this year. It makes me question whether I want to buy a home when about half of my payment would go toward property tax and homeowner's insurance.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:37 AM

174 posts, read 231,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avogadro View Post
I am a Realtor here in Oklahoma City. A rough estimate is 1% of house value. For lengthier explanation go here

Oklahoma City Real Estate Blog The Joys of Property Taxes

This is a wonderful answer to your question. When I looked around at homes it was a good estimate, maybe higher for pricier suburbs. With all the growth in the suburban cities of Tulsa and OKC I think you can expect higher taxes for schools etc.

At any rate the taxes in OK dwarf other parts of the country. I live in northern NJ. I pay over $11,000 for a modest home.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 157 times
Unhappy Taxes Taxes Taxes

Ok here's a shocker. People are complaining about high taxes...but try paying $12,000 per year in Illinois on a $200,000 house. Here is a Trivia Question: Why are property taxes in the following states: Indiana, Arizona, Oklahoma low? Or maybe a better question is: What is common about those three states? First Hint: It has nothing to do with them ending with the letter "a". Second Hint: Think Red,White and Blue....just a theory.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 PM

8,438 posts, read 6,055,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggWilly View Post
Ok here's a shocker. People are complaining about high taxes...but try paying $12,000 per year in Illinois on a $200,000 house. Here is a Trivia Question: Why are property taxes in the following states: Indiana, Arizona, Oklahoma low? Or maybe a better question is: What is common about those three states? First Hint: It has nothing to do with them ending with the letter "a". Second Hint: Think Red,White and Blue....just a theory.
That is so high. In Oklahoma it would be between $2000 and $3000. Taxes, overall, are lower in Oklahoma, because most Oklahomans feel the government is not supposed to play as important of a role to promote the public good as is done in other states, such as Illinois. Instead, more of the responsibility for that should lie within the individual. Life is how you make it. As a reflection of that belief, Oklahoma Republican politicians still try to get votes by saying they stand for making government smaller.

However, that individualist philosophy doesn't play out, if you want your city streets better maintained or widened. And when the collective response to address that problem is to raise sales or property taxes through a vote and the vote fails, that's too bad. However, the tire or car repair shop owner may like it, if rough streets lead to more customer visits, which plays out favorable for the individualist side for the shop owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma