Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 AM

134 posts, read 237,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
have you even seen the "King of the Hill" episode where they decided to join one of these huge mega churches? It's very funny!
LMAO. That was a funny one. Hank being mad because the preacher would not assign seats after another family started sitting in their seat. It was even funnier seeing them go to an Evangelical/Pentecostal tent church with Buck Strickland where everyone was drunk. Then seeing them go to a Spanish Catholic Church and Hank not knowing when to sit, stand, ect. IIRC, They attempted to go to a Non-Denominational contemporary church and didn't go in when they heard the hymn. The mega church was "The Church of the Rising Sun" and the preacher was a former QB of the so called texas longhorns (No caps)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 10:53 AM

134 posts, read 237,764 times
Quote:
even though I am liberal. I am southern baptist.
Wow, Never heard of that. I am sure that can get interesting. I'm a Libertarian and Catholic so that is an odd mix to. LOL.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:07 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,165,541 times
I'm actually pagan. I consider myself eclectic wiccan. The refreshing thing is nobody has had a problem with it. I don't ask anyone to share and I'm not really interested so much in 'gatherings' though would like to know others. But where I lived in California, where its supposed to be all anythng goes, people would stop me and tell me I needed to be saved....

That was annoying.

I suspect there is a lot more variety of faiths here than it evident since it doesn't seem to be something you have to be in your face about.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:31 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,229,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I'm actually pagan. I consider myself eclectic wiccan. The refreshing thing is nobody has had a problem with it. I don't ask anyone to share and I'm not really interested so much in 'gatherings' though would like to know others. But where I lived in California, where its supposed to be all anythng goes, people would stop me and tell me I needed to be saved....

That was annoying.

I suspect there is a lot more variety of faiths here than it evident since it doesn't seem to be something you have to be in your face about.
I bet most folks here are not really that tolerant but are more caught off guard. It's like when a telemarketer calls me and ask how I'm doing, I always say "I'm doing find, just sitting here naked watching some TV." They normally just hang up. But I did have one lady say "Oh, looks like you're busy, I will call back later"...LOL

Old 05-03-2013, 06:20 AM

533 posts, read 1,704,414 times
I find most people I meet to be pretty tolerant but also pretty certain that their particular point of view is the better and more correct one. What I mean by tolerance is a willingness to continue a personal, i.e., individually personal, relationship while recognizing differences.

I also find that those same people when aggressively pushed to change or when told they're idiots, morons, or subhumans react defensively and are more than willing to walk away from a relationship. And that's pretty much regardless of either the nature or content of their point of view; so, I've come to see this as having to do more with the approach than the content.

And there are a few who might decide to punch you in the nose if you are derisive to them, and maybe more than a few if you happen to be in a place where alcohol is served.

But that's just my experience.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:03 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,380,855 times
As a native Oklahoman, it is news to me that we are the religious hub of this country. Where is the official information about it? Imo, many Southern Baptists SAY one thing and DO another. The joke are you a one quart Baptist or a 2 quart Baptist wasn't fabricated from nothing. Another joke is Baptists never have sex standing up because people might think they are dancing.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 PM

5,542 posts, read 9,440,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
As a native Oklahoman, it is news to me that we are the religious hub of this country. Where is the official information about it? Imo, many Southern Baptists SAY one thing and DO another. The joke are you a one quart Baptist or a 2 quart Baptist wasn't fabricated from nothing. Another joke is Baptists never have sex standing up because people might think they are dancing.
Well, this Southern Baptist will take it any way he can get it!

EDIT: Oh, here's the "official" (non-official?) information about Oklahoma's Southern Baptist status: http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_sbc.html
(Oklahoma comes in right behind Mississippi/Bama.)

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 05-09-2013 at 11:07 PM..

Old 05-11-2013, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 2,730 times
Default help

how do you start a new thread?

Old 05-11-2013, 09:31 PM

701 posts, read 1,421,145 times
Any good mosques in the area?

Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 AM

533 posts, read 1,704,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
Any good mosques in the area?
Maybe start at: Islamic Society of Greater Oklahoma City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma