U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 09:08 AM

4,233 posts, read 3,274,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If Oklahoma City didn't have the Thunder I couldn't think of a single thing in which they are ahead of Tulsa other than population. OKC was growing faster but that may be changing because of low oil prices. I really want Oklahoma City to be better. It's currently the most underwhelming city its size in the entire country by far.
Quite right. It is also the ugliest. And the traffic is terrible. Although Tulsa has bad traffic in many areas as well.

OKC is definitely bigger. 600 square miles, much of which is ugly industrial wasteland, boarded up ghetto neighborhoods, stockyards and general lame sprawl.

If having a pro ball team and more Bass Pro Shops is your thing, OKC is for you.

Tulsa has its problems, but at least it is pretty for the most part.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 09:11 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,941,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Quite right. It is also the ugliest. And the traffic is terrible. Although Tulsa has bad traffic in many areas as well.

OKC is definitely bigger. 600 square miles, much of which is ugly industrial wasteland, boarded up ghetto neighborhoods, stockyards and general lame sprawl.

If having a pro ball team and more Bass Pro Shops is your thing, OKC is for you.

Tulsa has its problems, but at least it is pretty for the most part.
I couldn't agree more! I used to live in OKC, and still have a lot of family there. I was in a terrible accident last June and have to see a few doctors there about once a month. Every time I go to OKC I just cant get over how dreary it is. They will never have anything like Midtown or even South Tulsa. Even if they get this cool shopping area it is still in a very dreary city.

One time a few months back I went to check out the boat houses on the Oklahoma River. I have heard so much about this. The boat houses were incredibly nice, there is nothing like it in Oklahoma, but then you look at where it sits. The river through there looks like an industrial site, there is nothing at all natural about that area. The river has this very ugly rip rap shore line, there are very ugly interstate and railroad bridges criss crossing the area and in the back ground it looks like something you would see in New Jersey. There are hardly any trees to be found and for sure there are no trees or anything natural growing along the river. There is not hardly anything you could do to improve this area. The whole city seems this way.

There are something that OKC does do better than Tulsa, but there is no way OKC will ever match the Natural and man made beauty of Tulsa.

But on the other hand, I do have to give them a lot of credit for how far they have gone. Remember how bad OKC was 20 and 30 years ago?

Old 03-22-2015, 09:51 PM

3,273 posts, read 1,374,144 times
Dreary is the best way to describe Oklahoma City. There are few other cities that feel so dead or depressing. It's like what I picture Detroit to be but without the character or the nice suburbs. Sad thing is there is virtually nowhere in the entire metro, with the exception of parts of Norman, that you can really go to escape it. Downtown may be great one day but in my opinion its still minimum 10 years away. Where are the "nice" areas of OKC?

When I go down to Dallas I am amazed at how much nicer and prettier it is than Oklahoma City. Dallas, like OKC, lacks the natural advantages Tulsa has. When you get out of the metro areas there isn't much of a difference between the terrain in north Texas and central Oklahoma. Why is Dallas so much nicer then? Because they are aggressive at upkeep and beautification, something that OKC doesn't do. Oklahoma City could be a lot prettier than it is even considering its geographical disadvantage. It has isolated pockets that are actually not bad. It will just take a lot of money and investment to get it there which is very politically unpopular in this town. The city was neglected for 30 years and it will take just as long before the city becomes what it should already be, if it is even possible.

Tulsa on the other hand feels very much like a Southeastern city with a touch of Dallas. It has several districts that are very vibrant and have that progressive feel I miss about the East Coast. My personal favorites are the Brady district, Midtown, and Cherry Street. Tulsa actually feels like a real city, albeit a small one, a feeling I never get in OKC.

Last edited by bawac34618; 03-22-2015 at 10:31 PM..

Old 03-23-2015, 07:08 PM

225 posts, read 186,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
That is incorrect.

The ONLY two advantages Tulsa has is shopping and the city has a lot more philanthropists than OKC does. The first part is only made true by Utica Square, which is really sad that Utica is the best shopping center in Oklahoma. Having lived in Dallas for years, I'd say it is an average shopping center in the North Dallas area. It's even more embarrassing for OKC we are behind a city with a metro of less than one million in high-end shopping.

If Glimcher(Classen Curve, Nichols Hills Plaza area) turns out to be what it is hyped up to be, it will completely put Utica Square to shame. Also, Tulsa has nothing that will even come close to Chisholm Creek.

Plans for Chisholm Creek

Chisholm Creek is now getting an iFly and Lifetime Fitness Platinum(Tulsa's is a gold). They are focusing on out of state retailers.

This is Tract 30(part of the development) that is about to break ground this month.

With Cabelas and Top Golf under construction and open by the end of the year, they about to announce a slew of new tenants.

This misconception that Tulsa is ahead of OKC is simply not true. It is hard to see because right now OKC is transitioning, but there is only about 2-3 years before the evidence is too visible to say that with a straight face.

I am going to start a thread showcasing some of the major developments happening in OKC. I can't keep updating it as I am moving to L.A. in a month, but it should give you and everyone else around an idea.
Looks nice, but I would much rather spend time in Utica Square.

Last edited by DenverBound41; 03-23-2015 at 07:31 PM..

Old 03-23-2015, 10:39 PM

769 posts, read 1,647,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
One time a few months back I went to check out the boat houses on the Oklahoma River. I have heard so much about this. The boat houses were incredibly nice, there is nothing like it in Oklahoma, but then you look at where it sits. The river through there looks like an industrial site, there is nothing at all natural about that area. The river has this very ugly rip rap shore line, there are very ugly interstate and railroad bridges criss crossing the area and in the back ground it looks like something you would see in New Jersey. There are hardly any trees to be found and for sure there are no trees or anything natural growing along the river. There is not hardly anything you could do to improve this area. The whole city seems this way.
Yes, the Oklahoma River is clearly inferior to the Arkansas River in Tulsa, where you can take in beautiful views of TWO oil refineries, a sewage treatment plant, electrical power plant, and sandbars aplenty anytime there isn't at least above average rain.

The trails along Riverside are nice, I'll give you that. The river thing is funny given that Dewey Bartlett is practically doing backflips to build low water dams, i.e. exactly what OKC did. Still haven't happened though.

I took a break from this forum and it looks like the sneering peanut gallery from Tulsa is still around. Kinda stinks because I like both cities. Oh well, the more things change.....

Old 03-23-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound41 View Post
Looks nice, but I would much rather spend time in Utica Square.
Utica Square is a very old shopping center and will always have more character than anything that could be built in OKC. However, retail in OKC is currently so terrible for a city its size it has nowhere to go but up. If this planned shopping center gets built it will be a huge boost to the retail scene in OKC and is also much nicer than anything that currently exists at this end of the turnpike.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:55 PM

^
If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were the reincarnation of bchris02.

Last edited by #1soonerfan; 03-24-2015 at 01:21 PM..

Old 03-24-2015, 03:32 PM

4,233 posts, read 3,274,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
(OKC) will never have anything like Midtown or even South Tulsa. Even if they get this cool shopping area it is still in a very dreary city.

There are something that OKC does do better than Tulsa, but there is no way OKC will ever match the Natural and man made beauty of Tulsa.

But on the other hand, I do have to give them a lot of credit for how far they have gone. Remember how bad OKC was 20 and 30 years ago?
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Dreary is the best way to describe Oklahoma City. There are few other cities that feel so dead or depressing. It's like what I picture Detroit to be but without the character or the nice suburbs. Sad thing is there is virtually nowhere in the entire metro, with the exception of parts of Norman, that you can really go to escape it. Downtown may be great one day but in my opinion its still minimum 10 years away. Where are the "nice" areas of OKC?
Exactly. And that's another point about OKC that I hadn't considered: the suburbs. The suburbs of Tulsa are generally quite nice. Sand Springs, Sapulpa and Glenpool may not be much, but Bixby, Jenks, BA and Owasso are all very nice.

The suburbs of OKC? MWC? Del City? Godawful. Yukon to the West? Bleh. Choctaw isn't bad. I also like The Village (but my salary would have to triple for me to be able to live there) and Edmond has some nice neighborhoods but aside from the old downtown, Edmond seems fairly characterless to me. I'm not sure why the people who live there are so proud of it, aside from it being a more expensive option that is near to but not right IN OKC.

I do, however, like Norman, but it is slowly becoming just Far South OKC.

Quote:
Tulsa on the other hand feels very much like a Southeastern city with a touch of Dallas. It has several districts that are very vibrant and have that progressive feel I miss about the East Coast. My personal favorites are the Brady district, Midtown, and Cherry Street. Tulsa actually feels like a real city, albeit a small one, a feeling I never get in OKC.
Well, Tulsa was founded on oil, by people from the big old established NE cities. It's no accident that it has some of that feel and some of those qualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
I took a break from this forum and it looks like the sneering peanut gallery from Tulsa is still around...
Oh now...I don't even live in Tulsa anymore, and haven't in 12 years or more. I'm not a big "Tulsa Booster" or anything. I just believe--based on having lived in both extensively--that, objectively as possible, Tulsa is just far and away a nicer city in almost every way than OKC (and Lawton, fast becoming Oklahoma's 3rd Metro...)

I've lived in 12 states. I've lived all over Oklahoma. Frankly, there's not a great deal (IMO) to recommend either Tulsa OR OKC as a place to live forever, relative to other cities in other states.

I'm merely saying if you are going to live in a larger, more highly-populated area in Oklahoma and you have a choice, someone needs to convince me why I'd try to sell anyone on OKC over Tulsa?

Bad modern country music and sports aren't a big part of my life. Attractive incentive packages for businesses aren't relevant to my life either. Other than those things, what does OKC have that makes it preferable to Tulsa? It's far more sprawling, has far more ghetto area and hands down is one of the ugliest cities of its size I've ever been to, and I've been to most major American cities.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:08 PM

Griffis,

I too have lived in a lot of places in my 29 short years on this planet. Truthfully speaking, I enjoy the areas around Maple Ridge ad Brookside in Tulsa. The cohesiveness of the area is something that is a bit of a work in progress in OKC.

With that in mind, outside of more trees and a slightly more hilly terrain, the two cities are almost exactly alike. Which shouldn't shock anyone, considering they are in the same state and are merely 100 miles apart.

Here is my problem with your post. A lot of people from Tulsa are really lacking a level of self awareness. You rip OKC for being "ghetto" yet its Tulsa with the higher crime rate. I mean, Tulsa is featured on a reality show about MURDER for Christ's sake! Also, the absolute neglect North and West Tulsa have received are borderline criminal. You slam Edmond as being characterless but you hold up equally cookie cutter BA and Owasso as "nice"? A poster rips the Oklahoma River as ugly and industrial while ignoring the fact that the Arkansas River has a freaking OIL REFINERY on it? I can just go on and on.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I am frankly kinda over trying to convince people on either city. Its an exhausting discussion and this will probably be my last post on this. They both have their good and bad points; with that in mind, OKC has been growing at a much faster rate since at least 2000. You can't say its because of oil jobs because the oil boom has only been going strong since about 2007. So clearly a lot of people aren't as bothered by "ugly" OKC as you are.

Jobs, access to entertainment and sports, higher ed opportunities, and a good quality of life at an affordable price matters and are things I find OKC offers. No it doesn't offer natural beauty or a compact, urban lifestyle, but if I really wanted those things I'm probably not moving to Oklahoma at all. JMO.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
The suburbs of OKC? MWC? Del City? Godawful. Yukon to the West? Bleh. Choctaw isn't bad. I also like The Village (but my salary would have to triple for me to be able to live there) and Edmond has some nice neighborhoods but aside from the old downtown, Edmond seems fairly characterless to me. I'm not sure why the people who live there are so proud of it, aside from it being a more expensive option that is near to but not right IN OKC.

I do, however, like Norman, but it is slowly becoming just Far South OKC.
I don't think Tulsa's suburbs have a lot going for them over OKC other than better scenery. Broken Arrow for the most part looks like it could be in OKC. Neither city has suburbs that can touch DFW suburbs like Plano, Richardson, and Frisco. Edmond and Norman are fairly nice suburbs by Oklahoma standards, especially Norman IMHO. If one is looking for a postcard suburb though I can't think of one in Oklahoma that meets all the criteria. Where Tulsa shines is its urban districts and older neighborhoods near downtown.

Quote:
I've lived in 12 states. I've lived all over Oklahoma. Frankly, there's not a great deal (IMO) to recommend either Tulsa OR OKC as a place to live forever, relative to other cities in other states.
I agree with this. If one is looking for city living, places like Kansas City, Denver, DFW, Austin, etc are far better options in this part of the country over anywhere in Oklahoma. However if one wants or needs to live in Oklahoma and wants a taste of city life here Tulsa is going to come the closest.

Quote:

I'm merely saying if you are going to live in a larger, more highly-populated area in Oklahoma and you have a choice, someone needs to convince me why I'd try to sell anyone on OKC over Tulsa?

Bad modern country music and sports aren't a big part of my life. Attractive incentive packages for businesses aren't relevant to my life either. Other than those things, what does OKC have that makes it preferable to Tulsa? It's far more sprawling, has far more ghetto area and hands down is one of the ugliest cities of its size I've ever been to, and I've been to most major American cities.
This is a good question.

If OKC sees the wave of development some civic boosters believe is coming, it may be an easier sell in a decade or so. OKC being a larger city seeing the growth that it is seeing has the potential to eclipse Tulsa in the coming decade. None of that is guaranteed though and there are a lot of factors at play. In 2015 I cannot think of a single reason if given a choice that I would choose OKC over Tulsa unless sports was at the top of my priority list. Tulsa is simply nicer in every way. I can think of countless things that Tulsa has that OKC doesn't but struggle when trying to come up with what OKC has over Tulsa other than the Thunder and the river boathouse district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma