U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 06:57 AM

15,423 posts, read 11,236,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
My friend from Jackson is now in a significant relationship and will probably soon be married. His goal is to buy a house in the suburbs, settle down, and raise a family. He is only 24. OKC is very conductive to that way of life.

I myself may never be married and don't want kids. I prefer a townhome or a condo tower to an exurban house on 3 acres. My idea of quality entertainment does not consist of sitting at home and watching Dancing with the Stars or Duck Dynasty.

To be honest, I would feel a little limited in about any town the size of OKC, but that doesn't change the fact that most other cities this size are a lot better. I could be happier in Memphis or Jacksonville FL than I am here. Those cities are much more vibrant, have a lot more character, and have more to do in the cities themselves and the surrounding area.

I want to be a part of an active, vibrant, urban community. I want an environment where I am not looked down upon if I am not a carbon copy of everyone else. There is immense pressure in OKC to conform to the norm and if you do not you are outcasted. In fact I have never known anywhere else that individualism was as frowned upon as it is here.

I want nightlife that doesn't revolve around PTA meetings or religion. I could care less about hunting, fishing, rodeos, or college football. I don't like modern pop country music. As dvxhd said, there aren't many niche social groups available around here because for one the town is too small and the culture is too one-dimensional.

I also prefer to live somewhere where people don't immediately write me off because I am not a native. I have never lived anywhere as unfriendly to transplants as OKC. If one didn't grow up here or at least attend OU or UCO, its extremely difficult to feel at home here.

To top it all off, I cannot get used to the frequency of extreme severe weather. I am sick and tired of constantly having to worry about tornadoes and damaging hail. This is simply no way to live life.
This post expresses what you don't like about OKC. Fair enough. But what are YOUR interests that would be available in other places that are not available in OKC/Tulsa.

As far as "individualism", I don't necessarily disagree that OKC isn't a bastion for that but it did produce Wayne Coyne and the Flaming Lips.

The niche social groups are here, they just aren't large and are more underground so to speak. For instance, OKC has one of the largest Atheist organizations in the US, but you wouldn't know it.

However, none of your protestations are without merit and it's easy to understand your frustration being from a larger place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 08:08 AM

641 posts, read 998,886 times
Memphis over Tulsa? Really? I have been all over Memphis and outside of Beale Street I cannot see anything worth bragging about above and beyond Tulsa. Lots of local color? Most of that is just squalor. I'd take nice and clean Tulsa any day.

Last edited by teakboat; 04-01-2015 at 09:08 AM..

Old 04-01-2015, 09:46 AM

778 posts, read 2,229,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
bchris02, you will get bounced if CD finds out you have two or more profiles. Just saying.
Glad I'm not the only one.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:16 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,050,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Glad I'm not the only one.
The funny part is, I almost started to post last month asking where bchrisO2 was? He was on here all the time every day, I figured he must've been in jail or something. Now he has popped up using both names, which seems strange.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:35 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,050,500 times
I was in Oklahoma City yesterday, to see my doctor at Dean McGee. After we got finished there we decided not to drive back to Tulsa in the middle of rush hour. So we went down to Bricktown to eat at Kevin Durrant's restaurant.

On the way to K D's we went through a neighborhood just north of Bricktown, on Oklahoma Street. This neighborhood had a lot of new apartments and condos and it was very tastefully done. I had never been here before, or at least since it had been redone. I was very impressed with the work, if I had to live in Oklahoma City I would definitely enjoy this place.

Even though I sometimes pick on Oklahoma City it seems like every time I go there I find a new surprise, usually a pleasant one. The reason a lot of the Oklahoma City boosters are so proud of Oklahoma City is because it has come so far in the last 20 years. And have every right to be proud of the work they have done.

For some of us who are old enough to remember, united airlines was considering Oklahoma City for a maintenance base. Even though Oklahoma City had a better incentive package than Indianapolis, they chose Indianapolis because the quality of life in Oklahoma City was so low. That is when Oklahoma City got up and decided to do something about it. I think if the united airlines incident were to happen today it would've easily pick Oklahoma City. I'm not saying that Oklahoma City's quality of living is better than Indianapolis, but with the improvements and the incentive package that OKC had they could have landed that base.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:50 AM

241 posts, read 404,104 times
I think you are referring to Fed Ex which was going to choose OKC for its hub then opted for Memphis instead because OKC scored too low on their quality of life index.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:13 AM

5,522 posts, read 8,949,151 times
This so-called "rivalry" between OKC & Tulsa is much a do about nothing.

I've lived here my whole life (with the exception of a decade in Tejas, and a few years on the East/West Coast and a year in north central Florida) and I have never heard about Tulsans looking down on OKC or OKC looking down on T-Town. Of course, this fairy tale rivalry is on City-Data so it MUST be true.
*stands corrected*

The closest thing to a rivalry that I know of has to do with the big highschools of the east verses those from the central/west side of the state. I have heard people disparage schools like Jenks, Washington, an BA for being so ridiculously large that they can dominate with more athletes to choose from. This is especially true in football. Many of the central/western schools have at least two highschools in their larger towns if not more. (Cf. Norman, Edmond, the separation from Stang/Yukon, the separation from Carl Albert and The Bombers, the Lawton schools, et al.)

I live in the OKC area again and I've had family in Tulsa/NE Oklahoma my whole life. This pissing contest between sister-cities is fabricated malarkey. The truth is much more likely that there are some tea-sippers from both cities who try to make themselves feel better by looking down on the other sister-city. Elitism just doesn't sit well with the vast majority of Okies because of our history, work ethic, our grit, and our genuine desire to help the other fellow. There is something called the Okie Hospitality, and it should remind us of our brotherhood/sisterhood and goodwill.

In actuality, most folks from larger markets/cities are going to see OKC and Tulsa in the same light: mid-tier cities on the Southern Plains/Southwest. While some myopic Okies (<---boy, that's oxymoronic) may see some vast gulf of distinction between OKC and Tulsa, the truth is that most out-of-towners---especially those not from the South-Central region or those who are from much larger cities---are not going to see a whole lot of difference between the two cities. They're going to see cities which are "lacking" in culture an amenities. This is all perspective. And most of the time it is a truism that those who complain about such trivialities are gonna be unhappy in their life no matter where they live---whether in Manhattan or Gotebo, Oklahoma. (I happen to like Gotebo.)

Tulsa, certainly, as it is nestled there right on the edge of the Ozarks is much more aesthetically appealing to the eye. The culture of both cities, however, is virtually identical (again, especially from the perspective from someone not from this region).

Here's a thought which might be more productive: Why don't we talk about all those things that make both OKC and Tulsa great/special to us? Some of you might be surprised that there are at least a few (from my perspective many) traits of both cities which make them great places to be.

Just my little effort to get some of you nay-sayers to smile. Good day and carry on...

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 04-02-2015 at 09:23 AM..

Old 04-02-2015, 10:28 AM

10,383 posts, read 14,688,139 times
Quote:
Quote:
howest2008...........Houston We Have A Problem.........
I have a problem with two polar opposite groups of peoples I guess you could call them group A and group B. Group A will tell everyone that they meet that OKC was never anything , isn't anything now , and will never be anything in the near and distant future 25 hours of each and every day . Group B are those lying wonders that tell everyone that they meet on God's Green Earth that OKC has arrived and is willing and able to Whup Some ( A Fifty Five ) A55..... Memphis , Louisville , Cincinnati , Columbus , Cleveland , Jacksonville , Kansas City, St. Louis , Tampa Bay , Orlando , Pittsburgh , Charlotte and Raleigh , Ft. Worth etc. etc. and the list goes on......this just isn't going to happen anytime soon ....but should OKC give up having a plan on overtaking those cities in the near to distant future.....Hades No OKC Shouldn't.......LOL.....Falling Out Of My Chair....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
^^ I am a part of a third group that acknowledges the improvements in OKC and will say its much better than it once was. However, there are still some serious quality of life issues here that make it a very difficult if not downright frustrating place to live for a lot of people.

The best way for me to sum it up is that anybody who moves to OKC needs to make sure their heart is fully in it because if its not, it can be a miserable, isolating place to be. I think in terms of culture shock, this place is a little more difficult to warm up to than a lot of places especially to people who have lived on the coasts.
I'm 63 years young and a (do'er loser) with plenty of family in the great state of Oklahoma so family trump all QOL issues, but will all OKIE's quit jumping on these 20's , 30's and 40's something that been somewhere bigger and better than OK and can't stop complaining and whining .

I'm a 63 years young African American who start the day out with 63 grandpa push ups and a good attitude and love Hiking , Biking , Canoeing , Kayaking , Lovemaking with my wife of course in a tent pitched somewhere in Gods beautiful country and a river navigational system where you can take a private boat from TULSA OK to St. Louis , Minn/St. Paul , Little Rock , Cincinnati , Louisville , Memphis , New Orleans , Mobile , Tampa/St. Pete , Miami , Houston/ Galveston etc. etc...but to the Hip 20 to 40'something crowd you are right Tulsa & OKC are not Hot Cities and IT Cities and your moaning and groaning is somewhat justified....... ......falling out of my chair.....LOL.

Last edited by Howest2008; 04-02-2015 at 10:46 AM..

Old 04-02-2015, 12:22 PM

15,423 posts, read 11,236,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I'm 63 years young and a (do'er loser) with plenty of family in the great state of Oklahoma so family trump all QOL issues, but will all OKIE's quit jumping on these 20's , 30's and 40's something that been somewhere bigger and better than OK
I suppose that we should just ignore them but they are on the board pooping on every thread that in which someone inquires about OKC.

I'm not going to take it. OKC is not the greatest place on earth and is limited, but it is not that bad. Neither is Tulsa. If nobody counters them then the inquiries aren't a fair assessment of what OKC does offer.

There have been plenty of people who have moved here and appreciated what it is and has to offer. That being said, I can understand why young people would rather live somewhere else. But these cries of being "miserable" and claiming that OKC is ruining their mental health are more a reflection on the emotional immaturity of the individual. Holding a grudge against a place is just strange behavior.

I did a stint in Lubbock. It was culture shock even coming from Norman. I was glad to later move to someplace more suitable for me (Arizona), but I certainly wasn't angry about Lubbock or the people who call it home. In fact, it was easy to see why Lubbock is the way it is. OKC and Tulsa are pretty much the same way. It's easy to see why they are the way they are. And in OKCs case, every time they have geared up to do something the economy would drop off and it wouldn't get done.

I'm not so much "proud" of OKC as I am tired of the unfair bashing.

For instance. The one fellow who recently left us was comparing the Phoenix gay pride parade to the one in OKC.

Here is a bit of info about the Phoenix parade coming up this month.

http://phoenixpride.org/events/pride-festival/

Quote:
The Phoenix Pride Festival attracts over 33,000 attendees during the two day celebration offering unique opportunities for marketing and exposure for businesses and organizations interested in creating relationships within the LGBTQ community

While the Phoenix festival is a two day event, the OKC festival in June is a week long event.

http://okc.about.com/od/attractionsa...de-Weekend.htm

Quote:
Enjoy a variety of gay pride festivities in Oklahoma City at the annual Oklahoma City Gay Pride Festival & Parade. OKC Pride annually hosts the largest LGBT (Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender) celebration in Oklahoma, with over 70,000 attendees.
The OKC parade alone is estimated to have 30,000 attendees. And then of course OKC has the gay rodeo on Memorial Day.

Our friend who moved to Arizona used the Gay Pride Parade as an example of how "awful" OKC is by the parade's paltry numbers (3500 he says). So instead of just misrepresenting the truth as he usually does, according to the links provided, he was way wrong.

Last edited by eddie gein; 04-02-2015 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-02-2015, 01:03 PM

10,383 posts, read 14,688,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I suppose that we should just ignore them but they are on the board pooping on every thread that in which someone inquires about OKC.

I'm not going to take it. OKC is not the greatest place on earth and is limited, but it is not that bad. Neither is Tulsa. If nobody counters them then the inquiries aren't a fair assessment of what OKC does offer.

There have been plenty of people who have moved here and appreciated what it is and has to offer. That being said, I can understand why young people would rather live somewhere else. But these cries of being "miserable" and claiming that OKC is ruining their mental health are more a reflection on the emotional immaturity of the individual. Holding a grudge against a place is just strange behavior.

I did a stint in Lubbock. It was culture shock even coming from Norman. I was glad to move to someplace more suitable for me, but I certainly wasn't angry about Lubbock or the people who call it home. In fact, it was easy to see why Lubbock is the way it is. OKC and Tulsa are pretty much the same way. It's easy to see why they are the way they are. And in OKCs case, every time they have geared up to do something the economy would drop off and it wouldn't get done.

I'm not so much "proud" of OKC as I am tired of the unfair bashing.

For instance. The one fellow who recently left us was comparing the Phoenix gay pride parade to the one in OKC.

Here is a bit of info about the Phoenix parade coming up this month.

Pride Festival - Phoenix Pride

While the Phoenix festival is a two day event, the OKC festival in June is a week long event.

Information on the OKC Pride Week Event

The OKC parade alone is estimated to have 30,000 attendees. And then of course OKC has the gay rodeo.

Our friend who moved to Arizona used the Gay Pride Parade as an example of how "awful" OKC is by the parade's paltry numbers (3500 he says). So instead of just misrepresenting the truth as he usually does, according to the links provided, he was way wrong.
You are absolutely right but some of these guys have a Axe to grind concerning OKC regardless to the fact that OKC has caught up and overtaken some much larger cities ( in certain area's ) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma