Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 PM

15 posts, read 58,827 times

Advertisements

I am sure this has been asked several times before, so I apologize in advance.
There is a possibility that I may be moving to OK at the end of summer and I have the option of OKC or Tulsa. I have read some threads on each and as always there are pros and cons for each city.
I am in my later 20s, recent graduate, single, and coming from California.

If possible could I get a comparison between the two cities?
Things I am interested in learning about include the weather, nightlife / dating scene, younger crowds, outdoor activities, walkability, prices (apartments), nearby colleges, traffic, local sports teams, and anything else you would like to add.

Thank you for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible one View Post
I am sure this has been asked several times before, so I apologize in advance.
There is a possibility that I may be moving to OK at the end of summer and I have the option of OKC or Tulsa. I have read some threads on each and as always there are pros and cons for each city.
I am in my later 20s, recent graduate, single, and coming from California.

If possible could I get a comparison between the two cities?
Things I am interested in learning about include the weather, nightlife / dating scene, younger crowds, outdoor activities, walkability, prices (apartments), nearby colleges, traffic, local sports teams, and anything else you would like to add.

Thank you for your replies.
I live in OKC and have visited Tulsa a few times. Others here will be able to tell you a lot more about Tulsa than I can, but from what I know I'll break it down for you.

Weather - Tulsa
Nightlife/Dating scene - Depends on your scene. If you are looking for hipster bars, Tulsa hands down. If you are looking for sports bars or dance clubs, then its OKC hands down
Younger crowds - Once again depends on your scene. Tulsa is more hipster. OKC is less pretentious.
Outdoor activities - Tulsa
Walkability - Neither are great but OKC has made great strides in this area in recent years
Prices (apartments) - OKC
Nearby colleges - OKC
Traffic - You'll find both to be a cakewalk coming from California
Local Sports Teams - OKC (Thunder)

Overall I find OKC and Tulsa to each have what the other is missing and it will greatly depend on your preferences as to where would be the best fit for you.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:02 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
OKC and Tulsa are both in tornado alley. OKC and Moore each had a tornado in the last 7 days. It seems like OKC has more tornadic activity, but, this does not mean you cannot live safely in either area.

I lived in OK and in SoCal. Tulsa is in the edge of the Ozark Mountain Range. Between Tulsa and the OK/MO border you will find cliffs, high rolling hills, wildlife, forested areas and large lakes. Grand Lake is one of Oklahoma's leading tourist areas for the Japanese botanical garden and longest multiple arch dam in the world, and more. If you like to camp or sail you will find Grand Lake very friendly. OK is the Native State with more native american tribes registered than any other state including California. NE is OK near Miami is home to the Nine Tribes, where as the Eastern border of the middle of the state is home to the Cherokee Nation.

Tulsa is a leafy, green city that is considered by some to the art capital of the state. You can find museums, gardens, zoo, upscale shopping and fine dining. What you won't find is Trader Joe's. It's in Denver, KC and St. Louis. I don't know if Costco, Whole Foods, or Apple dealer is available or not. Make no mistake Tulsa has a large mall, but if you like a smaller shopping area it is hard to beat Utica Square. Its a quirky mix of upscale, boutique, and national retailers. It reminds me of North County. The only missing is the beaches. Tulsa also has some excellent doctors and hospitals. Tulsa has a diverse religious community. You can find the Catholic Church that offers Latin Mass, or Jewish shul as easy as a Baptist Church. As a whole Tulsa is a bit more conservative than California. I don't know what you budget is but you should be able to find what you want for $1000 or less depending upon where you live. It sounds high but your total COL is about 1/3 of what you pay in SoCal today.

It will be a bit of a culture shock from ocean to river, and from latke to powwow. The cultural diversity and natural beauty help make up for what you cannot bring with you. The weather is moderate. It is warmer more often than not. Cold spells don't last long, but if like winter you might find wild turkey or deer in your yard, and you can fish off a heated dock. I believe Tulsa is about midway between Dallas and Kansas City. It is 100 miles NE of OKC.

Tornadoes often move SW to NE. Live a few miles NW or SE and not in the shadow of an Interstate highway. You'll be fine. If you like flowers you don't want to miss the Azalea Festival at Muskogee. I believe it is the first two weekends in April. They fill Honor Park with the colorful bloomers. It is a beautiful park and worth the trip.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 PM

15 posts, read 58,827 times
Thank you very much for the replies. It looks like it's going to be a difficult choice. One more question, how much of a price difference is there between tulsa and OKC (decent 1bd in a nice area)?

Old 06-05-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible one View Post
Thank you very much for the replies. It looks like it's going to be a difficult choice. One more question, how much of a price difference is there between tulsa and OKC (decent 1bd in a nice area)?
I'm not sure about Tulsa, but in OKC you'll be looking at $500-$800 in suburban areas and $900-$1200 downtown. I think OKC currently has significantly more downtown housing options available and more are being announced all the time.

Deep Deuce is a popular one with young professionals.

Oklahoma City Apartments | Deep Deuce at Bricktown in Oklahoma City, OK 73104

Also take a look at Level.

Live Modern | Level Urban Apartments

Here is a quick search I did on Apartmentguide that comes up with several options near Midtown. Midtown District Apartments - Apartments for Rent in Midtown District, Oklahoma City, OK

Old 06-05-2013, 04:15 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
If you are into sports and modern pop-country music, OKC.

If you appreciate a prettier environment, a more active night life (unless you enjoy spending your nights involved in watching sports or listening to modern pop-country music, which is fine if that's your thing) and a generally more active arts scene, Tulsa all the way.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
If you are into sports and modern pop-country music, OKC.

If you appreciate a prettier environment, a more active night life (unless you enjoy spending your nights involved in watching sports or listening to modern pop-country music, which is fine if that's your thing) and a generally more active arts scene, Tulsa all the way.
A lot of people in OKC don't like to admit that despite all the improvements in the past decade, Tulsa is still the superior city (culturally) in Oklahoma. As I have said, its more hipster, which means the young people there are more into what young people in larger cities are into. OKC tends to be a get married and settle down young kind of town. It also heavily embraces the cowboy culture noticeably absent in Tulsa. Tulsa is the arts capital of the state and has far superior parks, shopping, and nightlife. However, Tulsa does have its disadvantages. It's more pretentious and more insular. It's also growing and improving at a much slower pace. While Tulsa may outshine OKC today, it may not be that way in 5-10 years. Most of my friends actually moved to OKC from Tulsa because this is where the jobs are at. OKC has its act together while Tulsa is more stagnant. I hope one day OKC gets many of the cool amenities Tulsa has had for a long while. Unfortunately, OKC has two significant disadvantages - the weather and geography - that cannot be overcome.

Edit: There is more than country music and cowboy culture in OKC. There are also hipsters in OKC. You just have to know where to look because its a counter-culture here.

Last edited by bchris02; 06-05-2013 at 05:00 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 05:25 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,249,758 times
I have lived here since 1986 and haven't noticed Tulsa folks as being pretentious or insular.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:35 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
A lot of people in OKC don't like to admit that despite all the improvements in the past decade, Tulsa is still the superior city (culturally) in Oklahoma. As I have said, its more hipster, which means the young people there are more into what young people in larger cities are into. OKC tends to be a get married and settle down young kind of town. It also heavily embraces the cowboy culture noticeably absent in Tulsa.
Trying to not come off too harsh. But this is quite inaccurate. Which city is the "superior city" is completely subjective, and it is a ridiculous assumption to think that people in OKC should admit anything. People in OKC like it there, people in Tulsa like their city as well. What is the controversy?

Also, I find it funny that you suggest that everyone in OKC settles down young, as if people in Tulsa do not. Trust me, they are culturally not that different. Both places are socially conservative but have a small, yet active singles/young scene closer to their urban cores.

This is painting with a VERY broad brush, but people from TX and CA tend to better fit to OKC, while people from the midwest and east coast like Tulsa better.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:06 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I have lived here since 1986 and haven't noticed Tulsa folks as being pretentious or insular.
Maybe that's because you have become pretentious and insular.

I think the bottom line is that Tulsa has a history of being more blue blooded than OKC. There was once a whole lot of money in Tulsa with the oil companies that were headquartered there. Most of those guys, Getty, Skelly, Tom Slick were all from back east.

OKC really didn't have that early on and it established Tulsa's reputation as being more cultured ans snooty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma