Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:13 AM

653 posts, read 1,786,286 times

Advertisements

One thing I wish they would do (but fat chance in it happening anytime in the near future) is the decriminalization of marijuana. The main reason being this would free up about one third of the space in our county jails and state prison's.. and focus on getting the real criminals off the streets. The laws against marijuana are absurd and need to be reexamined.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:27 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
One thing I wish they would do (but fat chance in it happening anytime in the near future) is the decriminalization of marijuana. The main reason being this would free up about one third of the space in our county jails and state prison's.. and focus on getting the real criminals off the streets. The laws against marijuana are absurd and need to be reexamined.
I agree. I don't see Oklahoma legalizing it any time soon but the laws against it are extreme. Only two states are worse to get caught with marijuana than Oklahoma. The legislature though cannot upset their base so it's unlikely anything will change. Rural Oklahoma by and large is extreme right wing to the point of being fascist.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:33 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Asset forfeiture laws and federal funding for local SWAT teams help explain why many cops are against making any drugs, like marijuana, legal. Imagine how richly a $1,000,000 seizure from a big time drug pusher could benefit the police. If it seems police don't concentrate more on going after thieves, rapists and other criminals committing acts against the will of the people, you know why. Such criminals likely are not worth much.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:15 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
And the use of "sentence enhancers" makes for a 20 year sentence for a simple possession (regardless of the quantity) AND 10 years for the Drug Paraphernalia. Yes, 10 years for possession of rolling papers. And yes, I see those type of sentences a lot.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
And the use of "sentence enhancers" makes for a 20 year sentence for a simple possession (regardless of the quantity) AND 10 years for the Drug Paraphernalia. Yes, 10 years for possession of rolling papers. And yes, I see those type of sentences a lot.
Long ago, a relative of mine smoked tobacco by rolling it up in papers. I don't see anyone doing that any more. So if you did, you could go to prison now for doing that, even if it's only for tobacco?

Not familiar with "sentence enhancers". Seriously, though, how many people go to prison for marijuana in Oklahoma over first time possession charges of small amounts, since it's only a misdemeanor? Probably very few. In counties that still don't have drug courts, I bet going to prison over marijuana felony charges happens, especially if you're not white.

Odd how Oklahoma law looks down upon people who sell marijuana as being considerably lower scum than ones who solicit for sex with a minor age 12 to 16. For doing the latter, the law allows up to 25 years in prison. For selling marijuana it's up to life in prison.

Oklahoma Democrats from the past are responsible for the beyond insane state laws against marijuana. It's now up to Republicans to be big enough in coming to realize doing that was a major mistake and correct it by decriminalizing. But they fear they will get voted out by doing so little as reducing the 2nd charge of possession of marijuana from a felony to a misdemeanor. How about those Republican legislators braving up and doing the right thing? As much resentment as there still is against Democrats in this state, I don't think Republicans have anything to worry about.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:50 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Long ago, a relative of mine smoked tobacco by rolling it up in papers. I don't see anyone doing that any more. So if you did, you could go to prison now for doing that, even if it's only for tobacco?

Not familiar with "sentence enhancers". Seriously, though, how many people go to prison for marijuana in Oklahoma over first time possession charges of small amounts, since it's only a misdemeanor? Probably very few. In counties that still don't have drug courts, I bet going to prison over marijuana felony charges happens, especially if you're not white.
Rolling papers is not considered drug paraphernalia unless found in conjunction with marijuana.

Sentence enhancers is the use of "AFCF" or "after former conviction of a felony". For example, possession of marijuana is a misdemeanor the first time and second time, then the DA can decide if they want to make it a felony the third time. Then the sentence is 1-4 years, then another conviction with AFCF makes it 4-10 years, then finally 5 to 20 years. I have seen it many times.

As for going to prison on a first time bust, I think for awhile there any Meth distribution brought 20 years.

The real is I have seen 32 years for an obscene phone call, 150 years for Indecent Exosure, which the CCA modified to 50 years. Then last week I get a guy who received 5 years for Rape First Degree. (His first offense).

Yeah, tough on crime. Of course, no one in OK congress wants to address it, lest they be seen as not being tough on crime.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:

The real is I have seen 32 years for an obscene phone call, 150 years for Indecent Exosure, which the CCA modified to 50 years. Then last week I get a guy who received 5 years for Rape First Degree. (His first offense).

Yeah, tough on crime. Of course, no one in OK congress wants to address it, lest they be seen as not being tough on crime.
I don't understand those very long prison terms, unless they had built up a record of felonies. Then it's easier to justify it happening. But gee, if one can go to prison for 32 years for an obscene phone call, it makes me wish that companies or persons who call me, but don't say anything after I say hello could go to prison for at least a year. It's such a nuisance to answer the phone and no one says anything.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:35 PM

193 posts, read 309,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyL View Post
I would never live in Oklahoma.
Suits me, don't want no whiney people here.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:56 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
I read your last post in the NM forum where you stated people were calling you ugly. Wow. Please don't judge an entire city because of a few bad eggs. There are messed up people in every city, town, and state. I hope things get better for you.

It seems like some people move to OK and then take all their anger and hatred out on the rest of the people in the state. It is okay to dislike Oklahoma, but don't start bad-mouthing the entire state simply because you are an unhappy person. There are too many good people here that you know nothing about.

I think some of the whiners on this forum are basically unhappy and would be unhappy anywhere they went. You notice none of them have the gumption to get up and leave. If they did that, they would not have an excuse to be unhappy.
For sure. Oklahoma is a beautiful state and personal happiness is where you are. It has nothing to do with your surroundings. Every state and every city has both good and bad. Sometimes just a slight adjustment in one direction makes all the difference in the world. But miserable people won't be happy anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsy11 View Post
Always loved Oklahoma but the one thing that's bothered me is that our state is one of the worst for allergies. I've recently developed seasonal allergies I've never had and have been sneezing like crazy the past few weeks.

Other than the allergies, still love this state.
So true. It definitely is Allergy Central.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
oFor sure. Oklahoma is a beautiful state and personal happiness is where you are. It has nothing to do with yur surroundings. Every state and every city has both good and bad. Sometimes just a slight adjustment in one direction makes all the difference in the world. But miserable people won't be happy anywhere.

So true. It definitely is Allergy Central.
This should be repeated often and well. And no place will ever please you completely. Nor are you responsible for other people choice of what to believe. But own yours and let them own theirs.

Yes, I think much of OK state government is comical and not of my ideas, but then I still love living here because of the many things I love about the state.

If you don't look for the positive then there will never be a good place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma