U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-10-2007, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,662 times
Default Anyone familiar with Duncan Ok

Hello, am new to this forum and maybe it is the wrong one but...I am considering a move to Duncan OK area and wondered if anyone knows anything about it. It is in Stephens County. Would be interested in all information that anyone might have-also opinions. I visited there two years ago and it seems nice enough however I am seeing problems concerning major drugs...anyone know the truth? Any sites that I might visit to get the real info on crime now, and everything else I would need to know...schools not an issue. thanks so much. Look forward to reading your information.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 08:07 AM

25,088 posts, read 11,211,920 times
Maybe the mods can move this to the OK forum. THere is a recent transplant from CA there. Maybe he can answer your questions.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:43 AM

2,925 posts, read 4,482,137 times
Hi Dayamoon! http://pages.prodigy.net/jimeez/_uimages/wavey.gif (broken link) We've been in Duncan for over 3 years now and we LOVE it here. Take a look at the Duncan Police Dept site for Crime stats (and lots of other info) Duncan Police Information Page

Because my hubby is a City Employee and our Daughter works with the public, I keep our "Scanner" on almost all the time. (Gives me a pretty good idea what is going on and where. )

Duncan (like most any town) isn't crime free, but the majority of the 'crimes' I hear are tiny compared to bigger cities. We came from Calif. and find ourselves giggling at some of the "crime" around here. An example? We recently had to contact the PD because 2 of our vehicles were "tagged"...

Both had amusing messages and one had a rather crudely drawn picture. The "criminals" used Liquid Chalk to commit their crime. Rinsed right off and thankfully our Older neighbors didn't see the picture.

My opinion about the Rampant drug use you've heard about? It seems (to me) that it gets a lot of attention because until recently, it was pretty much unheard of in this part of the country. When I compare it side by side to the things We (and our kids) had to deal with in a small 'safe' California town, Duncan's drug and crime problems are practically nonexistent. (and we live on the older side of Duncan, considered by many to be the "Bad" side of town. )

We just wish we had made the move here SOONER!! You can do a search here for "Duncan" and find lots of other posts, and you can click on my username to search for some of my other posts. I love to take pictures around here and "show off" Duncan any time I can.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:21 AM

4,137 posts, read 9,956,718 times
Crime would be the lest of my worries after having lived in CA. The biggest problem here has been Meth, but then OK passed a law prohibiting the sell of a cold remedy that was used to make Meth. Meth use has gone down.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,501 times
It depends on what side of the fence you are on. There isn't really any major crime here but everything is taken so lightly that you can't get any help with anything until something actually happens against you or your family. It may be that way in most towns but who knows. If your biggest concern is TP-ing of your trees of shoe polishing of your cars then you will be fine. But if someone is actually out to do real damage to you or your loved ones then you can count on being on your own. Duncan PD and Stephens County Sheriffs department are about as useless as it gets.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:39 AM

11 posts, read 15,518 times
In my 15+ years as a Duncanite I was never a victim of any measure of crime, other than maybe a rogue egging or two (whats that saying about what goes around comes around...). I never had a use for the Duncan PD, which is convenient, since they were far too busy pulling old ladies over for going 12 in a 45 and such. The schools are decent, the WalMart is Super, and Jonny's at Oak Tree makes my mouth water. Actually, I believe horrible drivers may just be the city's worst plague.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:21 PM

4 posts, read 3,982 times
We are also expats from CA and live now in Walters, OK. We prefer living here to Duncan, but then we are retired. It also depends where you want to work etc.........a lot of people prefer to live here as they work either for Good Year or Ft. Sill. Walters is between Lawton, OK and Wichita Falls, TX. I personally like to go shopping in Lawton, Lawton has 2 Walmarts, Wichit Falls has 3. Also one does not pay any taxes on food items in Wichita Falls also the sales tax in Wichita Falls is 8.25% in Lawton 8.75%.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:18 PM

57 posts, read 39,273 times
Don't know if this counts but my only experience with Duncan was once I was coming home to Chickasha on emergency leave from the Army I fell asleep on the bus and didn't wake up till Duncan so had to wait for the next bus back to Chicken-town as the truckers say.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:09 PM

13,387 posts, read 9,597,442 times
I see someone is trying to ressurect a dead thread.

I also moved to Duncan from So Cal. I arrived 5 mo's before this thread was started...............almost 4 yr's ago.
Most of the posters are no longer with us.

I was impress by the crime rates here, Like LR said, compared to California, it's next to nothing here.

In the yr's I've been here, the only problems I've found were minor:

(1) people don't use their turn signals.

(2) some people will walk down the middle or step in the dark side streets and expect you to see them and make the move.

I'd say that there's more good than bad in comparison.

One of the first things I noticed was the lack of illegal immigrants. I moved here because of OK's new immigration law HB 1804. No businesses in Duncan are employed with illegal worker. You'll find more disabled Americans working than anything.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 03-29-2011 at 11:19 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 09:03 PM

77 posts, read 182,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayamoon View Post
Hello, am new to this forum and maybe it is the wrong one but...I am considering a move to Duncan OK area and wondered if anyone knows anything about it. It is in Stephens County. Would be interested in all information that anyone might have-also opinions. I visited there two years ago and it seems nice enough however I am seeing problems concerning major drugs...anyone know the truth? Any sites that I might visit to get the real info on crime now, and everything else I would need to know...schools not an issue. thanks so much. Look forward to reading your information.
I know nothing about Duncan ok and am only on the oklahoma section because I'm considering moving to OKC. However my grandparents were originally from there. heh small world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma