U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2008, 03:24 PM

17,202 posts, read 14,067,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
Well, some more happy campers .....

CG ..... the power co in Tulsa is probably busier than the one in rural NH ..... and because the of much lower cost of living, $10/hr can provide a very nice living .....

Debbie .... Oklahoma is by and large a Democatic state with libertarian tendencies. This is well-know fact.

And the reason why you can't get to vote for conservative candidates is because in your neck of the woods conservatives don't run.
I guess our liberarian tendencies is why we have more toll roads than most any other state. If you want an extra nice road to travel on then pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 04:08 PM

8 posts, read 20,106 times
Default Linwood historic home and neighborhood

This neighborhood has a huge sense of community and many many children from ages 0-18. They have many get togethers and are like a huge family. These are all historical homes and there are a couple for sale. One I wish I could have is located right on the sought after blvd. Great place to live in OKC....quick access to EVERYTHING zip is 73107

Old 08-09-2008, 04:15 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,390,473 times
Default And now it's my turn!

I've been here since the first week in April - that's a bit over four months. The first two months were at Camp Peaceful, and boyoboy, did I ever need that chance to unwind!

Things I miss from WA:

I have 2 friends there - one who calls me 'Mom' and another one in his 80's who is vicariously living my adventure. That's it.

Things I don't miss from WA:

More than happy - thrilled to peices, actually - to leave it all behind.

Things I don't like about OK:

This is really petty, so sue me! There are no thrift shops in walking distance, or apparently anywhere in my town.

Things I like about OK:

Everything else.

Pretty much every place I've lived has had sales taxes on everything, food, clothing, vehicles, heating oil - you name it, it was taxed. OK's taxes are no big deal.

The COL is much lower here than WA, in a lot of ways. For instance, it costs me less to have an acre of lawn cut here twice a month than it did in WA to have a trailer space in a park cut once a month. Groceries are roughly half the cost in OK that they were in WA - the only things I've found that are about the same are eggs and fresh milk. But I've also seen things on the shelf - brand names, at that - that are 1.89 here compared to 7.99 for the identical thing in WA. As I've said before, it's a real treat to be able to go grocery shopping and buy what looks interesting rather than just what's on sale. The selection isn't as good here, but I can live with that - if I want to make sushi for instance, I can order nori and sweet rice on line. But there's a larger selection of Mexican foods and ingredients, so it evens out. I miss fresh seafood, but there wasn't any in WA, either, and I have a friend back in AK who is planning to ship me a care package once she has her own freezer filled this fall. Oh, the bagel thing reminded me - there used to be a wonderful bagel factory in Anchorage, and anyone going to Anch took orders and delivered when they came back home. The grocery store in WA had a motto "If you don't see what you want, just ask us." I asked someone in the bakery once why they didn't have pumpernickel bagels, just the packaged plain, onion, blueberry ones. She gave me a blank stare, said she'd never heard of them, and why didn't I just buy a loaf of rye bread?

It's true that I came here not knowing anyone personally, but I've made friends, and the people I've come across are all friendly - even the ONG guy who came to turn on the gas welcomed me to OK. If they aren't friendly, I guess they just don't bother talking to me in the first place. My 'support system' is a group of friends I keep in touch with via email, they are all across the country, from AK to the east coast, and some of them I've known for 50+ years, others I've never met face to face - but when you're in regular contact with someone for a decade or more, it doesn't much matter.

There are a lot of things I miss about Alaska, but my son, who still lives there, and various of my friends who are still there, tell me not to think about going back even for just a visit. It's not what it used to be, and I would hate the changes that have taken place just in the past few years. So I guess I'm homesick for a time rather than a place.

Now I'm here, and I expect I'll continue to enjoy it. Since I grew up in MO, I wasn't surprised by the heat, just grateful the humidity was low. And I love thunder and lightning - that was one of the few things I missed all those years in AK.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:41 PM

2,758 posts, read 6,611,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I guess our liberarian tendencies is why we have more toll roads than most any other state. If you want an extra nice road to travel on then pay for it.
Yep.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:44 PM

215 posts, read 464,652 times
Hey all you guys. Thanks for all those updates. It's nice to hear how things are going with all the serious moves that have been made and were followed buy "lurkers". All those comments, pro and con are very interesting and helpful. And good to see CG back and at 'em again.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:45 PM

2,758 posts, read 6,611,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I've been here since the first week in April - that's a bit over four months. The first two months were at Camp Peaceful, and boyoboy, did I ever need that chance to unwind!

Things I miss from WA:

I have 2 friends there - one who calls me 'Mom' and another one in his 80's who is vicariously living my adventure. That's it.

Things I don't miss from WA:

More than happy - thrilled to peices, actually - to leave it all behind.

Things I don't like about OK:

This is really petty, so sue me! There are no thrift shops in walking distance, or apparently anywhere in my town.

Things I like about OK:

Everything else.

Pretty much every place I've lived has had sales taxes on everything, food, clothing, vehicles, heating oil - you name it, it was taxed. OK's taxes are no big deal.

The COL is much lower here than WA, in a lot of ways. For instance, it costs me less to have an acre of lawn cut here twice a month than it did in WA to have a trailer space in a park cut once a month. Groceries are roughly half the cost in OK that they were in WA - the only things I've found that are about the same are eggs and fresh milk. But I've also seen things on the shelf - brand names, at that - that are 1.89 here compared to 7.99 for the identical thing in WA. As I've said before, it's a real treat to be able to go grocery shopping and buy what looks interesting rather than just what's on sale. The selection isn't as good here, but I can live with that - if I want to make sushi for instance, I can order nori and sweet rice on line. But there's a larger selection of Mexican foods and ingredients, so it evens out. I miss fresh seafood, but there wasn't any in WA, either, and I have a friend back in AK who is planning to ship me a care package once she has her own freezer filled this fall. Oh, the bagel thing reminded me - there used to be a wonderful bagel factory in Anchorage, and anyone going to Anch took orders and delivered when they came back home. The grocery store in WA had a motto "If you don't see what you want, just ask us." I asked someone in the bakery once why they didn't have pumpernickel bagels, just the packaged plain, onion, blueberry ones. She gave me a blank stare, said she'd never heard of them, and why didn't I just buy a loaf of rye bread?

It's true that I came here not knowing anyone personally, but I've made friends, and the people I've come across are all friendly - even the ONG guy who came to turn on the gas welcomed me to OK. If they aren't friendly, I guess they just don't bother talking to me in the first place. My 'support system' is a group of friends I keep in touch with via email, they are all across the country, from AK to the east coast, and some of them I've known for 50+ years, others I've never met face to face - but when you're in regular contact with someone for a decade or more, it doesn't much matter.

There are a lot of things I miss about Alaska, but my son, who still lives there, and various of my friends who are still there, tell me not to think about going back even for just a visit. It's not what it used to be, and I would hate the changes that have taken place just in the past few years. So I guess I'm homesick for a time rather than a place.

Now I'm here, and I expect I'll continue to enjoy it. Since I grew up in MO, I wasn't surprised by the heat, just grateful the humidity was low. And I love thunder and lightning - that was one of the few things I missed all those years in AK.
Great post, Kari .... you truly have the pioneer spirit.

It is hard to be so far away from your friends and family, I know ...... you GO girl!!

Old 08-10-2008, 12:07 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,059,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCntryBumpkin View Post
Hey all you guys. Thanks for all those updates. It's nice to hear how things are going with all the serious moves that have been made and were followed buy "lurkers". All those comments, pro and con are very interesting and helpful. And good to see CG back and at 'em again.
I second that. I leaving southern california in a couple of weeks, third generation native. Sadly, that seems to be a trend. I know things will be a lot different... 300k pop to 8k, but I'm really looking forward to the difference.

Its nice to see the reports of the recently moved, with so much they like. It makes the next few weeks even longer. Maybe concentrating on packing will help speed it up.

I look forward to posting my own impressions.

As to heat and humidity, I live in the inland valleys, next to the desert. The last week it has been in the 90's with for a couple of days 78 percent humidity thanks to arizona sending us their monsoonal moisture. Ac didn't have a chance....

I was there a week this spring and can't say a lot but will add one thing to this thread. I could breath. The air wasn't grey and didn't smell icky. That all by itself is a good reason to go there.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:50 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,922,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I second that. I leaving southern california in a couple of weeks, third generation native. Sadly, that seems to be a trend. I know things will be a lot different... 300k pop to 8k, but I'm really looking forward to the difference.

Its nice to see the reports of the recently moved, with so much they like. It makes the next few weeks even longer. Maybe concentrating on packing will help speed it up.

I look forward to posting my own impressions.

As to heat and humidity, I live in the inland valleys, next to the desert. The last week it has been in the 90's with for a couple of days 78 percent humidity thanks to arizona sending us their monsoonal moisture. Ac didn't have a chance....

I was there a week this spring and can't say a lot but will add one thing to this thread. I could breath. The air wasn't grey and didn't smell icky. That all by itself is a good reason to go there.
Where you moving to nightbird?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:19 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,059,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Where you moving to nightbird?
Cushing, and get to have my own house!

I will be very very glad to see the last of my teeny little apartment and some of my neighbors.

This is a loooong month!

Old 08-10-2008, 09:47 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,195,136 times
Being nitpicky and giving you a hard time because you have been gone far too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
The purpose of this post is to help New Englanders
who are considering relocating to OK make an informed decision...

I currently live in the western part of Tulsa,
and have seen little else of the state
....except
for places I've driven through on the way here
So... shouldn't your post be directed to East-Coasters considering a move to the TULSA area?? All of OK isn't the same you know...or maybe you don't know that yet.

Quote:
A little more than half of the people I've met here are not native
Okies, they are from all over the country and abroad.
Just the opposite down our way! It is rare to find non-natives...and they tend to stick out like a sore thumb. We sure did!

Quote:
Since I've only been here a short time and have only seen Spring and Summer,
I can only address those seasons....
If it helps at all I can tell you that this past Spring and Summer (so far) have been NOTHING like what we have experienced in the last 4 years!! I am seeing things happening in my yard that are totally new to me!

Quote:
And while I'm on the subject, the power company here (P.S.O.) is absolutely pathetic by New England standards.... They are extremely slow.
Again, a totally opposite experience here... I LOVES my PSO! Through all kinds of weather our power has RARELY gone out, and when I have had a problem, they had someone at my house within an hour or so who not only fixed the problem at the pole...he added new lines to my house and a new meter because ours "looked a little old"

Quote:
I realize there is a much greater infrastructure and demand here,
so this comparission may not be really fair.
Take this with a large grain of salt.
Will do. After visiting your corner of the State we realized it is like comparing Apples and Oranges! Both wonderful, but VERY different.

Quote:
I saw the largest hunting spider of my life last week in the kitchen.
Could you be a little more specific? I googled that and came up with nothing...or is that some strange species of spider that you brought from the East Coast??

Quote:
It is constantly said on this forum that there are plenty of employment opportunities here... This is true for the most part, but....
But... you need to be willing to roll up your sleeves, get dirty and sweat alot. Sometimes you have to take what comes along for awhile instead of waiting for for you WANT. We did. And it does get easier after you have been here awhile... I tend to think it is because they want to hire someone who will be STAYING in OK and not some transient weenie who is going to go running back to their "home" State at the first crack of thunder.

Quote:
Over all, OK has the most atrocious roads I've ever seen in my life
and that's saying a lot considering that I recently came from a place where the roads are subject to serious frost heaves and in many of the more rural places,
the roads were dirt.
Now you know why most folks have trucks and 4-wheel drives. Clay shifts year-round...not just when the "frost heaves". In some areas Dirt would be preferable...but the people with fancy cars whine about it.

Quote:
I know that many folk will take exception to some of the things I've said here,
and they may be correct...
Nah! You are just tellin' the truth as you have experienced it so far! I expect that will change in a year or so...IF you are still here!

Quote:
I've only been here a short time and as a few people like to point out, I'm a d*mn Yankee.
For now. I still believe you will make it here just fine!! Might want to stay closer to the "Cities" though... http://pages.prodigy.net/jimeez/_uimages/lmao.gif (broken link)

*HUGS* - T
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma