Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:22 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Hope the new boss and co-workers don't s*ck.
Sounds like you didn't hope quite HARD enough! I would be just as disgusted...that just isn't right.

Hang in there...fingers crossed and prayers sent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 06:41 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times
Quote:

most of rant smipped

So...
I'm still pretty unimpressed with the Tulsa IT market...
"Life at the speed of dirt."

Hey Doug! Now that Colleen has good benefits,
would you be be interested in being part of the best
Network Service company in Tulsa?
The last time I quit a job in AK - well, not quite the LAST time, that was when we moved south - I ended up applying for between 350-500 jobs between Kodiak and Anchorage. Either I was overqualified and they wouldn't hire me, or I had no experience, yadayada. The only places I could actually work were the canneries, they'd take any warm body that showed up. That was also the lowest-paying, other than driving a taxi, but one does have to eat, after all. And cannery work was sporadic enough that I had plenty of time to keep applying until I got a 'real' job and ended up becoming a voc rehab counselor. It's just a matter of sticking to it, as much of a drag as it seems to be.

And some of the short-term temp jobs were funny. One of the ones I had in Anchorage was as a political pollster, you know, the ones who call and interrupt your dinner? I had some really interesting conversations with some people, and even though it didn't pay diddly squat and ended with the election, I had fun with that one.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:39 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,401,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Ouch, CG, that's a terrible experience.

Everything happens for a reason, and maybe something much better is out there for you.

Doug's not quite ready to commit yet. He has an interview this week also.

Hope everything works out for you.
Thanks.

Either they are completely clueless, completely disorganized, OR
they figured out that they couldn't afford another employee or
they weren't busy enough to make it worth their while.

What really ticked me off is that I was there for over an hour
before they called and told me I wouldn't be starting until next week...
Would have been nice if she called BEFORE I drove all the way there.

There was no remorse in her tone at all...
I don't think this place treats their people very well...
Whether they call me back or not, I will
be seeking alternate employment.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Sounds like you didn't hope quite HARD enough! I would be just as disgusted...that just isn't right.

Hang in there...fingers crossed and prayers sent.
Thanks...

Old 08-12-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
The last time I quit a job in AK - well, not quite the LAST time, that was when we moved south - I ended up applying for between 350-500 jobs between Kodiak and Anchorage. Either I was overqualified and they wouldn't hire me, or I had no experience, yadayada. The only places I could actually work were the canneries, they'd take any warm body that showed up. That was also the lowest-paying, other than driving a taxi, but one does have to eat, after all. And cannery work was sporadic enough that I had plenty of time to keep applying until I got a 'real' job and ended up becoming a voc rehab counselor. It's just a matter of sticking to it, as much of a drag as it seems to be.

And some of the short-term temp jobs were funny. One of the ones I had in Anchorage was as a political pollster, you know, the ones who call and interrupt your dinner? I had some really interesting conversations with some people, and even though it didn't pay diddly squat and ended with the election, I had fun with that one.
I'll bet AK wasn't near as slow as OK seems to be.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Maybe not. But they are utterly lousy at letting one know whether they are being hired or not, I always had to call back many times, at the times they specified, and then I'd be told 'Oh, we got someone else a week ago,' or something like that. My favorite of all was a job I was completely qualified for and was actually promised, then when I called to find out when I would be starting, I got a secretary and I could hear my new 'boss' in the background saying 'Tell her I'm not here, tell her we've already hired someone else!'

But speaking of IT jobs, one of the places I worked for advertised nationally and brought people from the short list in to be interviewed. Then, once they hired someone, they didn't bother to tell the tech he was getting a new boss and when he'd be starting. Not that we weren't all pleased to see the old one go - he had some odd ideas of what was and wasn't appropriate. My program had paid a considerable amount extra to make sure we had extra batteries and modems for our laptops, and he just KEPT them. My boss assumed they'd been overlooked on the order, and ordered 'replacements' which once again, never showed up. At least not until the old guy was gone, then it turned out there was a lot of that kind of stuff he'd had stored in his office where no one could get to it, and that he'd never bothered to tell anyone he had.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Maybe not. But they are utterly lousy at letting one know whether they are being hired or not, I always had to call back many times, at the times they specified, and then I'd be told 'Oh, we got someone else a week ago,' or something like that. My favorite of all was a job I was completely qualified for and was actually promised, then when I called to find out when I would be starting, I got a secretary and I could hear my new 'boss' in the background saying 'Tell her I'm not here, tell her we've already hired someone else!'

But speaking of IT jobs, one of the places I worked for advertised nationally and brought people from the short list in to be interviewed. Then, once they hired someone, they didn't bother to tell the tech he was getting a new boss and when he'd be starting. Not that we weren't all pleased to see the old one go - he had some odd ideas of what was and wasn't appropriate. My program had paid a considerable amount extra to make sure we had extra batteries and modems for our laptops, and he just KEPT them. My boss assumed they'd been overlooked on the order, and ordered 'replacements' which once again, never showed up. At least not until the old guy was gone, then it turned out there was a lot of that kind of stuff he'd had stored in his office where no one could get to it, and that he'd never bothered to tell anyone he had.
Did you ever get the feeling that the lunatics are running the asylum?

Old 08-13-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Did you ever get the feeling that the lunatics are running the asylum?
Frequently. i try not to think about it too much, it can get depressing.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:13 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Quote:
I bet you'd lose, based on the Alaska I know ......

Old 08-13-2008, 08:22 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Quote:

There are BUGS here....
They are larger, more exotic and more numerous than anything you've seen in New England.

I saw the largest hunting spider of my life last week in the kitchen.
I wish I had had a big jar to catch it in so I could release it in the yard,
but there was not one immediately available, so I dispatched it with the nearest available shoe... Nobody was going to sleep anytime soon with that thing running around... It was just under 3 inches counting the legs, and the body was about an inch and 3/4s. (But it was the first major bug I've seen in a while, so it's not a daily or weekly thing.)
If it makes you feel any better I "pancaked" a Rabid Wolf Spider (rabidosa rabida) in my Den last night. Click for pic (http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff80/LadyRobyn/spider2.jpg - broken link) (leaving it as a link for my arachnophobic friends )

Our carpet is a multi-colored brown, and she was moving fast with the cat right on her tail...I just saw something brownish speed by and grabbed the nearest shoe. (Haven't had a scorpion yet, but there is always a chance!)

I felt bad when I saw it was just a Wolfie. Big monsters, (she was about 2 1/2 in.) but completely harmless...and she probably would have eaten a few other critters that I DON'T like!

Oh! I read recently that Essential Oil of Peppermint is great for repelling ants! It is very strong so all you need to do is draw a few lines using a q-tip or small paintbrush around the area you are having problems. You can also soak a little into a cotton ball and leave those in the problem area. (Be careful with pets though!) The ants hate the smell and will go away.

Since I am friends with most ant predators I've never had to try that... my 'buddies' gobble them up before they get in my house!

I have lizards that live up under the siding of our house...and sometimes IN the house! Found a cute baby one in the hallway last week, but he scooted into my Towel cabinet before I could get a pic. Lizards are always welcome in my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma