Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Somewhere Peggy put up some links that don't work. I am trying them again for her:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/oklah...-oklahoma.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/oklah...-oklahoma.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/oklah...-humidity.html

Okay, these links work. Maybe ComputerGuy can explain why mine work and her's don't. I went to the website first, and then I did a copy at the top on the bar that has the http:// in it. then I pasted them onto microsoft word, and then I came back here and copied and pasted them into this post.
I've actually seen those links in the past.

I also had an issue this morning posting a link...
This is pretty much my first forum experience (I do enough computer stuff at work and never cared enough to venture into the forum world until now.) and just guessing, I'd say that maybe as a moderator, you may have more rights than she does... Or maybe you just do better BB Code.

You'd have to ask my son... He's a forum kind of guy.
I do networks and security.

M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 02:38 PM

Yet another question: Anyone here arthritic?

I am and the weather here can make life... ummm... interesting.
How's the weather over there for the old bones?
I would guess that all the humidity probably doesn't help much.

Comments?

M.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:46 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times
Lee Avenue. Called that but looks like a Street to me. I drove through it, and it is an older section of Tahlequah, well, almost every secton is, but the homes are smaller and probably built in the 20s or 30s. No one was on the streets, but I can imagine that it could be a part of town that I wouldn't want to walk in at night. I think the younger generation knows more about that area that I do. I would walk there during the day.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:02 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,953 times
Jessaka, I don't do all that and I don't have Word anyway. I have a Mac and with them you have to learn to do everything yourself. I guess I will just tell people which thread to go to in the future!

Computer Guy, you are really good about replying. Some people ask a question and then never show up again.

I have a little arthritis, but not much. It really bothers me more in the summer when the air conditioning everywhere is turned down way too low. Before I retired, working in the cold offices made it really bad, even though I went outside every once in a while to warm up. Now I can go outside as much as I want.

Jessaka is really pretty tough. I think she can handle any street in Tahlequah.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:26 PM
A_G

20 posts, read 57,450 times
its alright. For artho (whatever cant spell the rest) Except when oklahoma gets to the those times where the tempature likes to rise and falll and change from one extreme to the other.

in april i was working at a tire shop, we reserved a semi for later...after hours. At 5:00 pm it was 78 degrees by 8 o clock when we were finishing up it was snowing....

I forgot to mention one thing about tahlequah. Do you liek hot rods and older vehicles customs and what not?
Every year around sept. 1st (indian nation holiday) we have a big big car show thing. Where people cna run there cars open head (no exhaust) from 6pm to 10 pm. A cop will run out nad cover your tires with water and tell you to do a burnout.... You can race a cop. You can run your drag cars on the roads. you can race all you want. It runs on downing ave, from muskogee street to the shell behind Tahlequah city hospital.

Very big even...i have a crappy video of this years event. We get together every friday sat and sun for a small events. Just running up and down the road for hours...sounds boring but when you get, semi truck, dumptruck, etc out there drag racing..its pretty cool. Even 30s hot rods. Rat rods. pickup trucks. Drag bikes...

Old 11-15-2007, 05:00 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Hi Synopsis,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I'm surprised I got this many good responses myself.

I'm still trying to convince myself that I could survive the bugs (at least the venomous ones), and the idea of the tornado sirens going off at 2am.
If we can get past that or at least used to it, OK sounds great.

Obviously, we'll need to see for ourselves, but OK is a BIG state,
and I'd like to narrow down our choices. I think all the help here will make that a bit easier. As I said earlier, we DO appreciate all the responses.

To make a LONG story short: Moderator cut: link removed at request of poster

I take care of a lot of small to medium businesses that don't need a full-time I.T. person and outsource that work.
Are you also in the same field?
Either way, any advice to impart?

Thanks again,

M.
Hi computerguy. In a manner of speaking, yes I'm in the field. I'm running short on time right now, but I'll DM you with some information later. It looks like you're getting plenty of help, which is good to see. You'll find no better people anywhere than on this OK forum.

Last edited by Synopsis; 08-12-2008 at 09:33 AM..

Old 11-15-2007, 08:33 PM

37 posts, read 141,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Hi Folks,

I've read over 3,500 posts here in the last few days and for the most part, OK seems to be almost ideal.
Especially the home prices and friendly people.

We're considering relocating there in the near future...
(After we actually see it in person of course)

I'm originally from MA, 30 mi. NE of Boston. We've lived in Southern NH for 7 years and then Northern NH for 7 years. I prefer rural living, but need to be about 30 minutes or so from areas that have a decent amount of small and medium businesses if I intend to stay self-employed. (And I'd REALLY like to, if possible.)

I'm an Information Technology professional (20 yrs.) and have run my own network service business for the last 10+ years.

The local economy and real estate market in this area have really taken a nose-dive in the last year. (Yeah, I know... It's the same everywhere.)

Our house is currently for sale, and we're going to take a beating in this market.
We want to be mortgage free, and we've seen a lot of properties there, that would be affordable to us. (As in less than $40K.)

Anywho...
I'll tell you about us and hopefully YOU will tell me if we're a good fit for OK, and which areas you think would suit us best. (Please?)

1. We're very conservative.

2. We have a 17 year old son and a 15 year old daughter that are both home schooled. (And OK has awesome homeschooling laws!)
Also need to be less than an hour from a good college...
Preferably OSU.

3. I LOVE my job and would like to do the same thing in our new place of residence.

4. I HATE bumper to bumper traffic and long commutes. (Left that in MA)

5. Amenities;

a.) I could care less about what a lot of folks consider "culture".
b.) Restaurants are unimportant to us.
c.) As far as shopping goes, if we have a few more choices than WallyWorld and more than 1 or 2 grocery stores, we'd consider it a plus.
d.) Broadband Internet is a MUST!

6. I'd never sleep again if I ever saw a scorpion in-doors. I'm not thrilled about spiders either!
(Don't like the idea of pesticides, but I know it will be required.)

7. I'm starting to get used the idea of tornadoes, gonna want a scaredy-hole though.

9. Prefer cold to heat, but will tolerate heat for a chance at a better life.

10. Absolutely want to be around people with good manners.

11. So far, it looks like I'd prefer to be in the Northern-middle to North-East part of the state. But I've never been there, so you tell me.

12. Absolutely NOT racist.

13. HATE huge cities, but would like to be about an hour from one.

14. A safe area to walk the streets goes without saying.

15. Would like some land / privacy, but can't afford it.
(I'd settle for QUIET though)

I could go on, but this post is turning into a book.

We'd truly appreciate any advice you could give us.

TIA,

Mike
Sounds like you got all the pros already. You could live just about anywhere in central or northeastern OK and be near a big city. Lincoln, Creek and Logan counties would be the best places for OSU, land, cheap property and short distance to cities. The heat in the summer can be bad and the insects are pretty thick. OU is south of the OKC area. South central OK is also beautiful and would fit what your looking for. Just outside the OKC and Tulsa areas would be ideal. Look at some of the city profiles and see what you like. Also, check out oklatravelnet.com for a more indepth look into Oklahoma.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:33 PM

152 posts, read 370,141 times
Oh no Computer Guy... That picture you posted with the mountains in the background is not Guthrie! Someone has put the wrong picture in there by accident.

If you expect to find something like that in Guthrie you will be very dissapointed..

The closest thing Guthrie has to mountains are these, which are known as the "Bluffs" around here. Someone needs to remove that picture...

While I was adding some pictures I thought I would throw these two in, they are photos of Mineral Wells Park where 20,000 free meals will be passed out tomorrow in celebration of our 100th BIRTHDAY!!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Lee Avenue. Called that but looks like a Street to me. I drove through it, and it is an older section of Tahlequah, well, almost every secton is, but the homes are smaller and probably built in the 20s or 30s. No one was on the streets, but I can imagine that it could be a part of town that I wouldn't want to walk in at night. I think the younger generation knows more about that area that I do. I would walk there during the day.
Glad to see you're still with us!
It appears that you've grown wise in your years.

M.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Jessaka, I don't do all that and I don't have Word anyway. I have a Mac and with them you have to learn to do everything yourself. I guess I will just tell people which thread to go to in the future!
Hmmm... The MAC users I know tell me they like it because they don't have to learn anything.

At home I use Linux 95% of the time. I LOVE it.
I could evangelize you for hours on all the benefits of Linux,
but I'll be nice and spare you...
Besides, it would be off topic.

Quote:
Computer Guy, you are really good about replying. Some people ask a question and then never show up again.
That would be rude!
I wasn't joking about wanting to be somewhere where most of the people have good manners. I taught my kids that good manners will take you everywhere.

Quote:
I have a little arthritis, but not much. It really bothers me more in the summer when the air conditioning everywhere is turned down way too low. Before I retired, working in the cold offices made it really bad, even though I went outside every once in a while to warm up. Now I can go outside as much as I want.
I've had arthritis in one place or another since I was a teen, and it's been getting
slowly but surely worse as I get older. At this point, I'm used to it and I never take any medication for it. A couple of times a year, I might pop an Advil, but that's about it.

The cold doesn't seem to bother me, but low pressure weather makes it more pronounced. ... But there is a silver lining to it all...
I can predict the weather more accurately than the professional weather forecasters.
Think that might make me more safe from tornadoes?

Quote:
Jessaka is really pretty tough. I think she can handle any street in Tahlequah.
Apparently....

Thanks for the response,

M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma