Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 12:22 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,401,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
Sure do! We love neighbors with a sensed of humor!
Quote:
No sarcasm here!
So you're saying you want to sell us some property cheap?

M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
GP, honey ..... people are going to think we are hicks

Mike .... we do NOT have chickens inside the house
I KNOW that!
I can dig GP's sense of humor.

He and RedBird provide us with much needed comic-relief.
I like them.

So how cheap did you want to sell that property and where is it?

M.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:26 PM

We seem to be typing back and forth live here...
Anyone ever consider starting an OK IRC channel?

M.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:01 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Speaking of windy, you guys are all windy, (LOL) but we like that in OK. I love being able to get to know people in check out lines.

It is probably more windy in the western area. I don't consider Tahlequah to be windy, but somedays are windy.

I was referring to the OK side of the Quachita Mountains. As for Ft. Smith, it is just biggest nearby city and is on the AR border. But if you can get used to lower land then anywhere near Tulsa would be good. Tulsa has more going for it as a city too. And then if you get between Tulsa and Fayetteville, AR, well, obviously you have another big city, Fayetteville. A pretty one at that. They also have a nice mall, but it isn't as big as the one in Tulsa from what I could tell when I did drive by shopping from Hwy 71 last week.

My friend that lives outside of Tahlequah just got satellite for her computer. $400 down and $50 a month. And this doesn't include TV or telephone. You may fall in love with an area in the country and end up with it, like you said.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Speaking of windy, you guys are all windy, (LOL) but we like that in OK. I love being able to get to know people in check out lines.
Yeah... And to think us guys make fun of women for that.

Quote:
It is probably more windy in the western area. I don't consider Tahlequah to be windy, but somedays are windy.
Are you talking about the people or the weather?

Quote:
I was referring to the OK side of the Quachita Mountains. As for Ft. Smith, it is just biggest nearby city and is on the AR border. But if you can get used to lower land then anywhere near Tulsa would be good.
As you can see from the pics I posted, I like my mountains, but they are a small consideration compared to a lot of other factors. But if I could have them along with the other stuff, I'd consider it a plus.

Quote:
Tulsa has more going for it as a city too.
OK... Would you care to elaborate on that? You have my full attention.

Quote:
My friend that lives outside of Tahlequah just got satellite for her computer. $400 down and $50 a month. And this doesn't include TV or telephone.
Looks like it got a lot cheaper than when it was the ONLY high-speed option up here... I ended up going back to dial-up before the DSL and broadband came in though, because the dial-up was infinitely more reliable the the satellite.

Quote:
You may fall in love with an area in the country and end up with it, like you said.
Jessaka... One thing I've learned in life is that every time I say "I'm NEVER going to (fill in the blank)", God chuckles at me and eventually a situation occurs where I end up having to (fill in the blank).

So I tend to shy away from those "NEVER" statements these days.

Thanks for the post!

M.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:20 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
I KNOW that!
I can dig GP's sense of humor.

He and RedBird provide us with much needed comic-relief.
I like them.

So how cheap did you want to sell that property and where is it?

M.
The 20 acres is in Terlton .... about 40 miles west of Tulsa in the boonies.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:21 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
We seem to be typing back and forth live here...
Anyone ever consider starting an OK IRC channel?

M.
IRC gave me a nasty virus once. I prefer Yahoo or Skype.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
The 20 acres is in Terlton .... about 40 miles west of Tulsa in the boonies.
Can't find it on the map or on CD... Is it near Stillwater, Perry or Guthrie?

For the rest of this, I'll DM you...

Thanks,

M.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:27 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
CG, here's a link to a post of mine about Tulsa. Maybe it will give you a better feel of the area.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/1119187-post2.html

Old 11-18-2007, 01:30 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Default Jessica's Viewpoints of Life in OK.

It has just been over a year since we moved here. We came to visit first, and then we purchased a house, all in the same week. The people were so friendly that it made moving here seem so exciting. They have not failed in being friendly, and I have never seized to be amazed. Maybe someday it will be old hat, but I hope not.

Loved having seasons after being in San Diego or over 8 years. I missed them so much and wanted to see snow and the changing of the leaves. Wanted to even feel cold again or even warm. So it was exciting to have a little snow right away. I chose Oklahoma also because of the snow and because it wasn't heavy snow. But mainly because of the people and the greenery. The ice storm (those are not frequent) was exciting too. Then came summer, and my husband kept saying, "I will let you know how I like it here when summer gets here." Hmm, he never did say, but he didn't complain much.

It was the bugs that got to us, but after we put down granules and had the house sprayed I think we got it figured out.

I don't live in a neighborhood as we only have one neighbor, a guy that keeps to himself and is quiet. So I wasn't sure how to meet people, and so I allowed months to go by, and then I began going to the Unitarian Church, just to meet people. Well, none of them became my friend, and going there was so boring. I quit going and joined the Red Hat Society, but all we did was sit around and eat in not so good of restaurants, a different one each month, and Tahlequah has some very good restaurants, maybe 4 or 5, so the rest of the year I ate at places I didn't like, and people didn't chat much, so I quit. I didn't want to join the Friends of the Library because I thought I didn't want to work anymore. I just wanted a shopping buddy and someone that wanted to eat out in pleasant restaurants. I tried to join the Friends in the spring but my tick fever stopped me from doing work. I quit and came back in the fall. Well, it is more fun. We had a book sale, and I joined in on helping sort books and collected money, and that is when I began meeting people that I liked and who had things in common with me. I also joined the Garden Club, and so we work in the park for an hour a week, and I am having fun with them, but their meetings are once a month a 7 p.m. and I am so tired. I have to learn to take naps. Then I joined CARE Food Pantry, but I have only worked one day. So now I have friends from the Friends group, and I have been shopping and out to lunch a few times with one friend and once with a new friend, and today I ran into my new friend at Walmart, and we stood around and visited. And there is another woman at Friends that I really like, so I will persue that relationship to see where it goes. But for someone that never wanted to do volunteer work it is actually fun and rewarding, besides making friends.

I like to take trips out of town, but so far have not found someone that is willing. Everyone I have met is older and so get tired of long driving, even me. Hard to get my husband to do that for the same reason, but we have taken small trips.

I find that people here go out of their way to help you. That is hard to get over. We drove by the dump a few months ago so my husband could show me where it was located. The guy that was running the place was locking the gate, and as we were slowly turning the corner he ran after us and stopped us with a "Do you need to dump something?" In California no one would do that. Hey, if you are not at the bus stop in time they will close the door in your face, even if you are at the door. Here I think they would back up to get you. LOL.

When we were house hunting and parked in different areas to look at a map, we would be stopped by people asking if we were lost. A sheriff stopped once, and we told him we were okay. People in Lowe's come up to you and ask if you need help, and if you don't, all you have to do is turn the corner, and someone else will ask, but I notice that that happens more at Christmas time. But at least when you find someone to help you they will take you to the item, even if they are busy, and sometimes I say, "That is okay. I can find it now." I have had them go and get an item and bring it back to me, and I was shocked over that. It was so unexpected. Now I try to follow them to the item when I know that they are going to do this. One guy at Reasoner's grocery store took off the other day to get me an item, and since he has asked how many I wanted, I made sure I followed him although he had intentions of bringing it back to me. I know this because he was going fast, and I almost lost him. I have stood in line for groceries and at the post office and people would be talking to the clerk in front of me, and no one cared. I have talked to the clerk also, and no one behind me cared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma