Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:01 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Lost Warrior Character Break Down

Dragging Canoe - Cherokee male 20's 6' muscular build
26 scenes first spoke scene 5 page 7, last spokescene145 page 105
79 speeches 297 lines
Is this going to be a story about Dragging Canoe?????????????

It must take place in the Carolinas during the Revolutionary War. I didn't see Nancy Ward, Beloved Woman, in there. Brian Ward was, but I don't recall what Nancy's husband was named. I am not an actor, but I would love to see the script.

I guess the "lost warrior" was the Issac character. But with Dragging Canoe in it, I am surprised Nancy wasn't in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 09:16 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
I just did some checking, Bryant Ward WAS her husband........but she didn't marry him until her children were grown.

Quote:
Nancy Ward, or Nan'yehi(nan yay hee), is the most famous Cherokee Beloved Woman. The role of Beloved Woman,Ghigau(Ghee gah oo), was the highest a Cherokee woman could aspire to. A Ghigau had a voice and vote in General Council, leadership of the Woman's Council, the honor of preparing and serving the ceremonial Black Drink, the duty of ambassador of peace-negotiator, and the right to save the life of a prisoner already condemned to execution. One such prisoner was a settler named Mrs. Bean, who was captured in an attack on illegal white settlements on the Watauga(wah tah oo gah) River. Mrs. Bean taught Nan'yehi such skills as spinning, weaving, and the raising of animals, which Nan'yehi in turn taught the rest of the Cherokee. This provided the Cherokee with some food during the winter months, but gave them more work.The title Ghigau also translates to 'War Woman," and Nan'yehi earned the title by taking up her husband's gun when he was slain in a battle against the Creeks and leading her people to victory.

During the Creek Wars my Goodpasture great great great great great (I really have no idea how many greats are in there) grandfather was killed along with lots of other militia from eastern Tennessee and Cherokee warriors. It was during another battle between the Creek and the Cherokee that another ancestor, Nancy Ward, took up her husbands gun and became a war woman, or Beloved Woman. Dragging Canoe was her nephew. When Nancy heard of Dragging Canoe's plans to attack settlers on behalf of the English, Nancy warned the settlers in time for them to defend themselves. For that she was also a Daughter of the American Revolution.

As a matter of interest, Nancy was also the first owner of black slaves among the Cherokee. She obtained them through spoils of war when she defeated the Creek and took all their possessions, including the slaves being held in the Creek Nation.

Last edited by Goodpasture; 03-09-2008 at 09:30 PM..

Old 03-10-2008, 01:49 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Wow. That's interesting. I love history. I am always asking about my ancestors. I think that's pretty cool you found a link to that story line.

I have no idea what that movie is about, I just passed on that casting call because it was sent to me. Also there is one for writers. In case you know of any writers.

Back when I was in KS, I used to do a fair amount of writing. And lots of information gets passed around the academic cirlcles that should get into mainstream society because there are always talented people who are not published or actors.

So much of the happenings in Indian Country never get much media coverage, there are always interesting things going on that we don't hear about until its over. I should post more of that stuff here.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,370 times
Default just saying hi

hello redbird,i'm mixed but even though i was not able to be in oklahoma durning the march on the oklahoma birthday i said a prayer for my cherokee ancesters that was on the trail of tears that walked from thier home to oklahoma.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:39 PM

Hello Redwolf,

You will find lots of Cherokee brothers and sisters here in Oklahoma. I have many close friends who mixed blood. One is from the nothern cherokee, a clan I had never heard of before. They are in Missouri.

Welcome to the okie forum.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:21 PM

We don't call the dance outfits "costumes", because a costume is something you wear when you are pretending to be someone else. We use the word "regalia". Hopefully, when the summer months come, I can post some real pics of the local pow wows here in OK.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/P1010076.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-17-2008, 08:32 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Redbird, please also post the date and location of any pow-wows that would be open to the general public. I would love to go to one.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:45 PM

They are a lot of fun. They're all open to the public. Okay, but first we have to give you an Indian name. You know, like on Dances With Wolves? Hmmm, what could we call you?

Dances With Tornados? Ex-Joisey Girl?

Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
They are a lot of fun. They're all open to the public. Okay, but first we have to give you an Indian name. You know, like on Dances With Wolves? Hmmm, what could we call you?

Dances With Tornados? Ex-Joisey Girl?
Several years ago I took a class in college on the History of Native Americans. During one project we broke out into groups and we had to give each other Indian names. My group gave me the name "She Who Takes Care of Others" So you see, I already have an Indian name. Now I'm all set for the pow wow.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:07 AM

Here is a link with a few listed. Make sure you take a few lawn chairs when you go. That is how it usually works.

Pow Wow Calendar - PowWows.com

Any fans of the TV show "Little People, Big World" here? They had some Native People on the show last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma