U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:06 PM

2,883 posts, read 1,896,024 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened some day. Personally, I think it should be legal, taxed and regulated.

Incidentally, I'm not a smoker. I'm not saying I didn't have my reefer-smoking days, but I gave it up long ago when I became a parent. Don't really miss it either, but I don't think people should be considered criminals for smoking a plant either.

Especially since now you can go over the border into Colorado and do it legally, but here at home you can wind up in a County Orange jumpsuit for years.

I don't start many threads, but I bring this up because I heard on a local news radio show recently that a pretty intensive poll was taken in Oklahoma this year...they tried to get a wide demographic of rural folks, people from the metros, cover many age and ethnic groups, etc.

I was surprised to hear the results. 71% supported legalizing medical marijuana and 57% supported legalizing it across the board for adult use.

What do you all think about the issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 AM

8,739 posts, read 6,656,024 times
But unsurprisingly, only 24.2% of those over age 65 supported decriminalization in the poll. That is the age group most likely to vote. So I think it's too early to try voting to legalize it like Colorado did. Strangely enough in Colorado many towns big and small, except for Denver, are opting to ban rec marijuana stores in city limits. So legalization of marijuana in that state isn't going over too well. I reckon plenty of people are still addicted to Reefer Madness. If all goes well in Denver, a lot of towns are going to be missing out on new source for tax revenue.

However, Oklahoma might as well try giving legalized medical marijuana a vote, provided first that Arkansas can show it can pass it. It may be on that state's ballot again in 2014.

News story on the poll: Oklahoma evangelical Christians among supporters of medical marijuana | News OK

Old 10-24-2013, 02:00 AM

5,959 posts, read 6,060,629 times
Default Legal marijuana in Oklahoma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it happened some day. Personally, I think it should be legal, taxed and regulated.

Incidentally, I'm not a smoker. I'm not saying I didn't have my reefer-smoking days, but I gave it up long ago when I became a parent. Don't really miss it either, but I don't think people should be considered criminals for smoking a plant either.

Especially since now you can go over the border into Colorado and do it legally, but here at home you can wind up in a County Orange jumpsuit for years.

I don't start many threads, but I bring this up because I heard on a local news radio show recently that a pretty intensive poll was taken in Oklahoma this year...they tried to get a wide demographic of rural folks, people from the metros, cover many age and ethnic groups, etc.

I was surprised to hear the results. 71% supported legalizing medical marijuana and 57% supported legalizing it across the board for adult use.

What do you all think about the issue?
Legal marijuana in Oklahoma?...over people dead body " medical Marijuana of course in 5 to 10 years , but Decriminalize or Legalize over somebody dead body..

Medical marijuana bill proposed in Oklahoma - YouTube

Old 10-24-2013, 06:35 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,903,635 times
I'm in that 24%. When my child lived in California she was licensed to buy and use marijuana to control pain. When it ceased to work she was moved into codeine, morphine and heroin. Cancer killed her in January. On the other hand her son thinks it is find to smoke weed with his babies in his lap. I think he's an idiot especially since one son has lung issues. He doesnt's give a care about anything - including his children - except getting his fix.

My personal feeling is a hefty fine is more effective than jail for smoking pot. It might keep loaded drivers off the street. There is a big difference between how pot affects the brain and how booze does. It is a different high. Loaded drivers are far more dangerous than drunk drivers, and yes, they both cause accidents.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I'm in that 24%. When my child lived in California she was licensed to buy and use marijuana to control pain. When it ceased to work she was moved into codeine, morphine and heroin. Cancer killed her in January. On the other hand her son thinks it is find to smoke weed with his babies in his lap. I think he's an idiot especially since one son has lung issues. He doesnt's give a care about anything - including his children - except getting his fix.

My personal feeling is a hefty fine is more effective than jail for smoking pot. It might keep loaded drivers off the street. There is a big difference between how pot affects the brain and how booze does. It is a different high. Loaded drivers are far more dangerous than drunk drivers, and yes, they both cause accidents.
The legalization of pot isn't a big deal to me. It doesn't affect me in the sense I'd run out and start smoking it. I haven't smoked in 15 years and don't miss it.

I DO, however, think that we should, as a supposedly free nation, allow adults to do pretty much anything they want that doesn't impinge on the rights of others.

Don't like abortions? Don't have one.

Don't like guns? Don't own one.

Don't like same sex marriage? Don't enter into one.

Don't like pot? Don't smoke it.

Pretty simple.

Is it your assertion that people high on pot are more dangerous than drunk drivers? I think you'd have a difficult time backing that statement up.

I do agree, though, that while it is illegal, fines are more appropriate than jail time for pot offenses.

Personally, I don't think people should generally be imprisoned for non-violent crimes.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:55 PM

4,258 posts, read 2,406,288 times
Please don't legalize pot, Oklahoma. Here in CA where "medicinal" (sic) marijuana is legal I smell the pot smoke over the back fence on a nightly basis. Sometimes it even seeps into my house. It's a gateway drug. Unlike alcohol, few people can use it in moderation.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Loaded drivers are far more dangerous than drunk drivers, and yes, they both cause accidents.
I doubt the former. Getting drunk can mess you up so bad that you can't focus your eyes, and so it's like you are only able to see in doubles. Ever been insane enough to attempt to drive in such a condition? I've never heard of a pot smoker being unable to focus his eyes.

If driving on marijuana is so dangerous, the medical marijuana patients should have caused so many car accidents that people in CO and WA would not have been foolish enough to vote to further legalize marijuana. Of course, give people credit who avoided driving while high on marijuana. We might be surprised by a good number of people willing to use marijuana in a responsible manner.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 10-25-2013 at 01:01 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Please don't legalize pot, Oklahoma. Here in CA where "medicinal" (sic) marijuana is legal I smell the pot smoke over the back fence on a nightly basis. Sometimes it even seeps into my house. It's a gateway drug. Unlike alcohol, few people can use it in moderation.
That problem will have to be worked out when it's time to apply the regulatory processes as they did with cigarettes. I don't like the smell of cigarettes in use. But sure don't have to put up with it as much as I did years ago.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:55 AM

4,258 posts, read 2,406,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That problem will have to be worked out when it's time to apply the regulatory processes as they did with cigarettes.
But there just isn't any reason why we have to go there. The whole medicinal schtick is fraudulent. Marijuana, if legalized, will be another massive regulatory can of worms. Furthermore, the proliferation of its use among non-criminals will be a nightmare for law enforcement.

Alcohol use is tamed by centuries of custom, convention, and tradition - not to mention law - and the externalities are still enormous. Why legalize another mind-altering substance prone to be abused, and with zero history and culture, for society to figure out how to manage? It makes no sense.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
But there just isn't any reason why we have to go there. The whole medicinal schtick is fraudulent.
You could not possibly be more incorrect. Marijuana has been used for at least 7000 years as an analgesic in various cultures. It has clear, demonstrable medicinal value with regards to several diseases and syndromes (as well as their symptoms.)

Beyond that, it is far, far less addictive than many prescription Big Pharma medications that are prescribed (and abused, and sold on the black market) on a daily basis.

Quote:
Marijuana, if legalized, will be another massive regulatory can of worms.
Unfortunately, there is some truth in that. But you are also ignoring the fact that keeping it illegal is a whole OTHER regulatory can of worms. One which costs the state untold millions of dollars just in enforcement, not to mention the costs of incarcerations related to pot.

Quote:
Furthermore, the proliferation of its use among non-criminals will be a nightmare for law enforcement.
Nonsense. How? Why? Can you provide some proof of this claim or is it just something you pulled out of the air and presented as fact? Do you not think most people who want to be smoking pot aren't already smoking pot? The fact that it is illegal (in most places) doesn't prevent its widespread use. Many people from all walks of life use it regularly in a very responsible manner. It is ubiquitous, easy to procure and relatively cheap.

There is no reason a typical pot smoker should be considered or treated like a criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma