U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 11:12 PM

2,507 posts, read 2,897,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
My husband had an interview in Lawton recently and really loved the place, but he said there was a bad smell in the air of the town. He didn't want to be rude by asking what it was while he was there but does anyone know what that was?

Where we used to live there was a town that had a sugar beet factory that produced a bad smell throughout the year. Is it something like this that people have to learn to live with or is it a temporary problem and will go away?
Maybe it was the Goodyear tire factory, or it could have been an oil well. I have never heard anyone mention a smell around Lawton. I have been there several times and I have never smelled anything.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 04:31 AM

2,522 posts, read 1,028,891 times
I go to Lawton at least once a week. I've never noticed a bad smell there.

All in all, I like Lawton.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:03 AM

11,099 posts, read 10,514,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Maybe it was the Goodyear tire factory, or it could have been an oil well. I have never heard anyone mention a smell around Lawton. I have been there several times and I have never smelled anything.
I live near an oil well and it never smells.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:12 PM

1,942 posts, read 1,152,902 times
That's good to know it's not something it's known for. He says the smell was like sewage. The only thing I could find about a smell in Lawton online was from two years ago when nearby residents in Walters had a problem processing waste at the water treatment plant.

Where we lived sometimes that would happen too with the town that had the sugar beet factory. You could smell the factory miles away in the next town if the wind blew just right.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:04 PM

71 posts, read 204,999 times
Lawton area info:

Refuge area - One of the oldest mountain (some call them hills HA HA) in the world. For those that don't know, the Wichita Mountains are part of the Rocky Mountains.
Buffalo, Elk, Longhorn Steer, Deer, Bobcats, Eagles and there are rumors that a family or two of Mountain Lions are roaming the area too. There are alot of little lakes, Ponds for some people, that you can go fishing at. Hunting is allowed, but only by drawing and a select number of people each year.

Lawton -
Traffic and crime is about normal for a city Lawton's size. Gangs do reside in Lawton, but activity from them seem to be mild as far as the news reports. Most trouble that happens is from Teenagers with nothing to do.

Shopping areas are a plenty.
The Central Mall has the normal stores a mall has, Sears, JC Penny's, Dillards, Foot Locker and 12 Screen Movie theater. Really it is nothing to brag about.
The Lawton Market Place is in the final stages of their 1st phase of building. Target, not a Super Target but does have groceries and Starbucks so? Acacamy Sports, Kirklands, Chuck E. Cheese and other stores are located there. 2nd Phase of project won't start until late next year or later. I think it will depend on how well the current stores do there.
A new Downtown Shopping area is under construction now with Bed Bath and Beyond, Ultra, and other stores opening mid next year.
Two Super Wal-Marts are in town as well as a K-Mart.

Resturants are a plenty too. Normal fast food places are just about everywhere. Jack in the Box just opened a few months ago. Buffalo Wild Wings, Rib Crib, Olive Garden, Applebees, Chili's, Outback Steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse, Red Lobster, Santa Fe Cattle Company are a few of the places we like to visit from time to time.

Big business in Lawton - Goodyear is the located in the far south west side of Lawton. It is the Largest Goodyear tire plant in the world. Republic Paperboard is a recycling plant for paper products. Bar-S foods is also in the same area that produces Hot Dogs, Bacon and other meat products.

Airport - American Eagle (American Airlines) has flights to Dallas/Ft. Worth airport daily. Delta use to have flights to Atlanta, contract ended for that about 2 years ago and now the airport is trying to find another carrier to get more options to other cites.

Schools - Cameron Univeristy, NCAA Divison II, is a nice school. No Football there since around 1992 or so. Three High Schools, 4 Middle (Jr. High) schools and tons of Elementry schools.

Other areas of interest -
Medicine Park (12 miles north) sits at the enterance of the Wichita Mountains with history dating back to Capone and Jessie James era. Lake Lawtonka (city water supply) is just north of Medicine Park.
Elgin (10 miles north on I-44) is a fast growing little town. Lake Elsworth is a few miles from Elgin.
Geronimo (5 miles south) is also a little growing town.
Cache (5 miles west) is growing but not really as fast as one might think. Nice school system due to Goodyear being in their Tax base area.

Bigger cities near Lawton:
Oklahoma City -75 miles
Wichita Falls Texas 45 miles
Dallas, Arlington, Ft Worth Texas is about 185-200 miles

Any more thoughts or questions just ask.....

Old 11-15-2013, 01:25 AM

287 posts, read 329,469 times
Cool. Thanks for the info!

Old 11-15-2013, 02:58 AM

7,779 posts, read 7,892,795 times
First time I was in Lawton, I was in high school and we drove there to go to the annual Easter Pageant which attracted huge crowds back then. Just now, I looked it up and the pageant is still staged each year.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:40 AM

29,495 posts, read 15,515,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j67bubba View Post
Lawton area info:
<clipped by redbird to save space>
Any more thoughts or questions just ask.....
Excellent post, j67bubba.

Lived there in the late 70s. Some parts were rugged back then. I love going thru the refuge and stopping at Meers for a buffalo or longhorn burger.

Do they still pan for gold in that creek neer Meers?

Old 11-15-2013, 08:19 AM

10,492 posts, read 4,591,804 times
Don't know if they do, but the beer they sell at the Meers Store is called "Meers Gold".

And if anyone wants to go to to the Meers Store for a longhorn burger, they're closed on Tuesdays.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:55 PM

684 posts, read 469,934 times
Good bicycle riding if you're into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma