U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2013, 12:42 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,484 posts, read 8,304,106 times
Reputation: 3171

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I don't mean to offend anyone from Michigan, but I'm pretty sure that what folks up there think of our elected officials is one of the last thing Okies care about.
^^^
This right here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2013, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Muncie, IN
588 posts, read 1,177,366 times
Reputation: 506
Love Michigan and have family up there. I visit quite often. You won't find many agreeing with Imhoffe or Coburn on this forum. Most are left of what the rest of OK is. That being said, many Oklahomans don't care much about other states and they certainly won't care about Michigan people. That's just the way people are down here. I hope beautiful national parks stay protected up there as it attracts many tourists.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 08:50 AM
 
1,595 posts, read 1,720,113 times
Reputation: 1695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
Love Michigan and have family up there. I visit quite often. You won't find many agreeing with Imhoffe or Coburn on this forum. Most are left of what the rest of OK is. That being said, many Oklahomans don't care much about other states and they certainly won't care about Michigan people. That's just the way people are down here. I hope beautiful national parks stay protected up there as it attracts many tourists.
I don't necessarily believe that. Americans love the USA no matter where. When the tornado hit Oklahoma, believe it or not, the poorest and most desperate city in Michigan raised the most funds for the victims. In Flint, a jobless and hungry city, residents held several fundraising drives for victims in Oklahoma's tornado victims. If a disaster hit Michigan (besides economic..lol) I am sure people in Oklahoma would assist. It is just the American way. So I am not sure you can say people in Oklahoma don't care about Michigan people because at the end of the day, we are all Americans. But sometimes political leaders make horrible decisions which may hurt people. Its up to the constituents to reign them in. hint... hint...no to Coburn's next election! Below is just a few fundraising drives in Flint, there were many other. There were also drives all throughout the Detroit-Ann Arbor area, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Lansing, and Saginaw/Midland/Bay City areas. Your senator needs to be reminded that we are all interconnected as a nation and national parks here belong to Oklahoma residents just as much as they do to Michigan residents...They are national parks.

GM employees raise more than $28k for Oklahoma tornado victims; GM Foundation donates $50k, 2013 Chevy Silverado for support | MLive.com

http://www.mlive.com/business/mid-michigan/index.ssf/2013/05/carman-ainsworth_randels_eleme.html

http://www.wnem.com/story/22566326/fundraiser-at-mongolian-bbq-raises-funds-for-okla-tornado-victims
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 12:39 PM
 
641 posts, read 897,916 times
Reputation: 864
Good post!

By the way, I think that Coburn has said that he has had enough and will not run again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2013, 01:20 PM
 
Location: USA
7,778 posts, read 11,013,244 times
Reputation: 11771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I don't necessarily believe that. Americans love the USA no matter where. When the tornado hit Oklahoma, believe it or not, the poorest and most desperate city in Michigan raised the most funds for the victims. In Flint, a jobless and hungry city, residents held several fundraising drives for victims in Oklahoma's tornado victims. If a disaster hit Michigan (besides economic..lol) I am sure people in Oklahoma would assist. It is just the American way. So I am not sure you can say people in Oklahoma don't care about Michigan people because at the end of the day, we are all Americans. But sometimes political leaders make horrible decisions which may hurt people. Its up to the constituents to reign them in. hint... hint...no to Coburn's next election! Below is just a few fundraising drives in Flint, there were many other. There were also drives all throughout the Detroit-Ann Arbor area, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Lansing, and Saginaw/Midland/Bay City areas. Your senator needs to be reminded that we are all interconnected as a nation and national parks here belong to Oklahoma residents just as much as they do to Michigan residents...They are national parks.

GM employees raise more than $28k for Oklahoma tornado victims; GM Foundation donates $50k, 2013 Chevy Silverado for support | MLive.com

http://www.mlive.com/business/mid-michigan/index.ssf/2013/05/carman-ainsworth_randels_eleme.html

http://www.wnem.com/story/22566326/fundraiser-at-mongolian-bbq-raises-funds-for-okla-tornado-victims
Not sure how anyone presumes to think they are the mouthpiece for what Oklahomans think about other states or anything else. Knowing one's individual opinion and what is thought by 8 or 10 others, is a far cry from everyone in the state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 03:18 AM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
23,044 posts, read 16,164,456 times
Reputation: 7111
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
Good post!

By the way, I think that Coburn has said that he has had enough and will not run again.
Thank goodness for that. What bills have Coburn authored and got passed that benefit Oklahoma, or that benefit the whole country? We send a lot of tax dollars to DC. We might as well get more, not less back. It seems that Coburn has mostly sought attention by bitching, since being Senator without getting much of anything memorable done. At least I can remember former Sen. Scott Nickles got one thing done. He authored and got passed his Defense of Marriage Act, but this year got it shot down by the U. S. Supreme Court. We need to go back to having senators who are willing to do something really good and lasting for Oklahoma, like Sen. Kerr did from way back. At least he could sure see big for Oklahoma and its future back then.

Maybe former Gov. Henry will run for Coburn's senate seat. He's probably the only Democrat who can win it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 07:29 AM
 
Location: plano
7,524 posts, read 9,310,428 times
Reputation: 7192
Coburn has prostate cancer again. I wish him a full recovery again. He will not run again, he said he would do two terms max in the house and did only two terms. After returning to his MD practice ran for Senate again for two terms max. He is a politician who does what he says and wont run again regardless of his cancer etc.

The senate rules wont let him practice medicine while he is a senator but he goes home each weekend and does anyway but wont charge his patients. I doubt even Harry Reid is going to take him to task for doing this for free.

He is anti waste and has been since his first day in congress. He believes the fed gov can not do much efficiently so he wont be proposing bills to do more at the fed gov level.

You can disagree with his political believes but do not bash the man for what he thinks just because it is different than what you may believe about the fed gov.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,893 posts, read 12,330,136 times
Reputation: 9132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
First off, people in Michigan are not awaiting your visit nor care if you or your senator step foot in Michigan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Nobody in Michigan has one ounce of animus toward Oklahoma.
OK, then. lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2013, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
23,044 posts, read 16,164,456 times
Reputation: 7111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Coburn has prostate cancer again. I wish him a full recovery again. He will not run again, he said he would do two terms max in the house and did only two terms. After returning to his MD practice ran for Senate again for two terms max. He is a politician who does what he says and wont run again regardless of his cancer etc.

The senate rules wont let him practice medicine while he is a senator but he goes home each weekend and does anyway but wont charge his patients. I doubt even Harry Reid is going to take him to task for doing this for free.

He is anti waste and has been since his first day in congress. He believes the fed gov can not do much efficiently so he wont be proposing bills to do more at the fed gov level.

You can disagree with his political believes but do not bash the man for what he thinks just because it is different than what you may believe about the fed gov.
But I don't mind less waste in government. But it's all too painfully obvious he is miserably failing to do what we are paying him to do, if all he cares to do is bitching on the issues, rather than try to do something that has substance by authoring bills to combat it. But maybe he has, but I don't follow political news enough to have known. If not, of course, I will bash him for refusing to do what is right. Since he won't do it, I can at least be thankful he is willing to step aside, so someone hopefully will try to do something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2013, 05:22 AM
 
Location: So. Dak.
13,495 posts, read 35,153,844 times
Reputation: 15176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I don't mean to offend anyone from Michigan, but I'm pretty sure that what folks up there think of our elected officials is one of the last thing Okies care about.

Goodpasture, I understand your loyalty to your wonderful state, but IMHO the OP has a very valid point. The people/areas of his state have been lashed out at by someone elected to represent Oklahoma. If that elected official wants cuts, he needs to look at cutting spending in the state that he represents. I'm not throwing stones since my own state has one in office who is always screaming about cutting things. She just doesn't want her pet projects or her own state to take any of those cuts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top