Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 01:48 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times

Advertisements

I was in high school. we heard the news. the principal put the live news reports on the intercom. teachers, depending on the class, either stared into space glassy eyed or openly cried. too many parents depended on kids staying in school all day for them to send us home early.

Beethoven / Symphony No. 3 in E-flat major, Op. 55 "Eroica": 2nd mvt (Furtwängler) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 03:57 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
I was a little kid, living in Dallas. I remember watching it all on TV as I sat on the floor at our coffee table, eating lunch. I had been furious with my mom because she refused to take me to the parade. She didn't want to deal with all the crowds and I didn't understand that it wasn't really a parade, like the typical Thanksgiving/Christmas parade they always held downtown. My best friend who lived down the street was getting to go because her dad worked in the main post office which was located just across from the grassy knoll and School Book Depository. She was going to go to work with her dad and watch from an upstairs window in the post office. I was so jealous. Guess my mom really did know what was best for me.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:19 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,867 times
I was ten years old and in fifth grade. We were having some kind of important tests that day.

I remember my fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Anderson, having us finish up a section of the test and then telling us we were dismissed for the day. She told us that President Kennedy had been assassinated and that we needed to go straight home.

I attended Plato Elementary school (Grades 1-8 at that time). My brothers and I lived a block from the school. There were no bus routes and everybody either walked to school or rode bicycles. As far as I know, everybody went home to be with their families. How times have changed!

Old 11-24-2013, 08:48 PM

100 posts, read 212,974 times
I was in Cleveland OK at the time just a year out of High School. I was at my Mom's house installing a CB radio antenna. She came out the back door and told me. Rest of the days was spent watching TV. Saw Oswald get shot live on TV also.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:25 AM

653 posts, read 1,786,576 times
I'm reposting this from my facebook page:

My memories of this day 50 years ago is dimly remembered as I was only 5 years old, I do remember my mother being especially upset and glued to our black and white TV over the horrific happenings of this fateful day. What I do remember vividly was the funeral, the procession and the drum beat that went with it for what seemed forever. I watched intently the whole thing and this I remember well at 5 years old, at our home on Osceola Drive in Palm Beach, FL.

I should add that I became good acquaintances with President John F. Kennedy's mother when I was growing up, roughly from about 1966 or so to the time I graduated high school in 1976. I saw Rose Kennedy, the mother of John F. Kennedy, Ted and Robert.. walking the bike trail that traversed the west side of Palm Beach, sometimes she was alone (early on in the mid to late 60's) but most of the time was accompanied by a companion, later on a nurse, and a few times saw what I'm certain were secret service folks.. infact I almost always seem to remember men walking either ahead or behind her most of the time. When I saw her, once I knew who she was, I always stopped and talked with her and every time.. I mean every single time.. Rose talked about her kids, stuff that John, Robert or Ted would do as kids. Unfortunately, I can't remember anything that stood out she talked about that they did, except that they all loved pulling pranks on each other and sometimes on her too.. and how they all loved the water, the beach in Palm Beach and at their place in Massachusetts. What I do remember most out of all those encounters with Rose Kennedy, was how proud she was of her kids and her family. She just beamed talking about them, and as I said, did every time I saw her. I never did ask her about the shooting, didn't have the guts too, but out of all the kids she talked about, John was probably brought up the most, and Robert after he was assassinated.

I only recall seeing her perhaps a half dozen more times after Robert was gone.. the toll it took was more than she good bear. From the early 70's on, Rose was in a wheel chair when brought out for a stroll and seemed to have a hard time talking. I never saw her after '75 or '76. It may have been even earlier than that. The Kennedy's "compound" as it was called.. was about three houses north of my grandparents.. I knew one of their bodyguards real well as he also worked as a life guard at the local club we were members at. He disclosed very little about the Kennedy's, very much unlike Rose herself.

Those were special memories I'll always cherish. I knew some very well known people in my day, but none with the personality, the genuineness and love that John F. Kennedy's mother, Rose Kennedy.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:51 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
One of the more interesting posts that I've read on CDF. Thanks for sharing your story.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:32 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
I remember it well, in addition to the events of the day, I was one day short of my 16th birthday and expected to get my drivers license on the next Monday. Needless to say global events changed many lives as I recall knowing a President could be killed in out times as ending an innocence and level of faith I had in people after this well covered violent event that changed the course of history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma